Does the HR forum need another subforum?

vdogg

Subforum Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need another subforum?

• Yes-Peninsula (Newport News and Hampton)
    • Yes-Newport News only
    • No-Leave it as is for now, perhaps in the future

Here's how I see the subforums unfolding.

USA South

Virginia

Norfolk-Virginia Beach

(and then by order of population)

Virginia Beach

Norfolk

Chesapeake

Newport News

Hampton

Portsmouth

Suffolk

Maybe one titled something like "Regionalism in Norfolk-Virginia Beach" where we can talk transportation/ports/light rail, etc. I say we just drop "Hampton Roads." I doubt anyone would notice and I bet it would actually make things clearer.

We cannot support 7 seperate subforums. I would go for a renaming of the Hampton Roads/Tidewater metro but I would like to reiterate my opposition to completely dropping it. I guess i'm unclear as to exactly what is wanted here. Norfolk and Va. Beach need their seperate subforums. Those subforums should stay intact. Now if you wish to put those subforums under just Virginia and put all the main Hampton Roads threads in the main Virginia forum that might be workable, although I think it'd be kind of messy.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhhh. I say just leave things as-is. I'm a little sad to see the Peninsula subforum go, but the news has been pretty darned slow in NN/Hampton lately. Maybe if things pick up again it can be recreated some day.

But I would just say keep things the way they are until future growth and new developments warrant otherwise.

I am new to this. How do the Subforums get created? I just feel that "Hampton Roads/Tidewater Metro" sounds completely strange. One could even do "Hampton Roads/Tidewater/7 Cities Metro."

All I ask is that if each city is to not have their own sub, at least lets call our metro "Norfolk-Virginia Beach." It's a lot cleaner and sounds much better. I remain convinced that "Hampton Roads" is just too unknown. Norfolk and Virginia Beach on the other hand are known.

Subforums are created by the admins on this site. That would be either Neo or myself. Sometimes we do it on our own, or it's done at the request of the moderators.

Personally I think Virginia would do better by collapsing HR into Virginia, and then putting Norfolk and VB directly under Virginia. I think those forums would get more exposure that way, and there just isn't enough activity in the HR forum to justify having this additional sublevel.

Lastly, let's just call it all "Norfolk-Virginia Beach" and have no further subforums, or if there are they could be site specific like "VA Beach Town Center" or "Downtown Norfolk" or "NN City Center." The more I think about it the more I cannot stand "Hampton Roads/Tidewater Metro." If that is to be, can we call Richmond "The Capital Region/Central Virginia?" Let's also call "Virginia" the "Old Dominion/Father of Presidents/Mid-Atlantic Commonwealth/yada yada yada," because we just shouldn't ever call things by their proper name. Let's be consistent! Or pass me the reins!

:rofl:

Personally I think Virginia would do better by collapsing HR into Virginia, and then putting Norfolk and VB directly under Virginia. I think those forums would get more exposure that way, and there just isn't enough activity in the HR forum to justify having this additional sublevel.

Ok, now I understand. That sounds like it may be a good idea. My only reservations really have to do with "metro recognization" as it were. Since nobody knows what the hell Hampton Roads is, I wouldn't be opposed to this.

Lastly, let's just call it all "Norfolk-Virginia Beach" and have no further subforums, or if there are they could be site specific like "VA Beach Town Center" or "Downtown Norfolk" or "NN City Center." The more I think about it the more I cannot stand "Hampton Roads/Tidewater Metro." If that is to be, can we call Richmond "The Capital Region/Central Virginia?" Let's also call "Virginia" the "Old Dominion/Father of Presidents/Mid-Atlantic Commonwealth/yada yada yada," because we just shouldn't ever call things by their proper name. Let's be consistent! Or pass me the reins!

:rofl:

The only reason we decided to call it HR/Tidewater metro was because those were the only 2 official designations for the region that didn't seem to raise objections from members from the other 5 cities. If there were a different all inclusive designation, that would have been chosen. It has nothing to do with consistency, we go through great lengths to try to listen to all forumer concerns (ex: the "why northeast" debate).

Ok, VDOGG, fair enough. I just see that the number one gripe off all times for this region is lack of identity. We've all been in a position to have to explain what "Tidewater" and "Hampton Roads" is. I strongly feel these tag names hurt more that they help, and they are definately confusing to most folks. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

Let's just say there is a problem, hypothetically if you cannot grasp it in reality. Wouldn't you want to do all you can to fix this particular problem? Here's one; VCU is in a horrible location in Richmond. It doesn't fit well within the Fan District and creates a dead-zone for Downtown. I cannot fix this problem. Here's another problem I have. I hate that we're trying to call this region "Hampton Roads/Tidewater." Maybe we cannot totally fix this problem, but we can start right here at UrbanPlanet.

I'm of the frame of mind that when you go to name something, that name is obvious. If I paint a still life of bananas, I'm going to call that "Bananas" and be done with it. I won't be calling it "The Fruit of the Curvy Yellow." Unless I'm a total jerk, why would I do that?

If you had to name an area that contained the following, what would you call it.

Norfolk Tides.

Virginia Beach Oceanfront.

Downtown Norfolk.

Virginia Beach Town Center.

Newport News City Center.

Olde Town Portsmouth.

Virginia Beach Board Walk.

Williamsburg.

Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.

I-64.

Hampton.

Mount Trashmore.

Atlantic Ocean.

Elizabeth River.

I surely would never call it "I-64" or "Hampton Roads" or "Mount Trashmore." (And I am absolutely not suggesting that you are behind this lame name. I suspect you are like the rest of us and just got stuck with it.)

Another analogy. What if the Beatles decided to name themselves after one of the members. Only as a joke would they call themselves "Ringo Star." Sorry, but that's just the way it is. I cannot help that John Lennon has way, way more talent for writing songs. Calling our great region "Hampton Roads" is plain nonescence when you have two big names that are better and more deserving; "Norfolk" and "Virginia Beach." Heck if John Lennon just called the band John Lennon he wouldn't have needed to quit the Beatles. Additionally, unless we start cranking out hit singles, no one will ever know the name "Hampton Roads;" certainly not over more popular Virginia Beach and noteworthly Norfolk.

Back to the Beatles for a moment. If John Lennon were playing on the same night as Ringo Star but in different venues and you had tickets to both but you couldn't physically be at both, what show would you go to? If you could take a weeks vacation to either Suffolk or Virginia Beach, where would you go? Maybe you'd be the only one in Suffolk rocking out to Ringo, but not the rest of us, Dude. I'm just saying that there is a natural hierarchy at play and respect should be given where rightly deserved. You don't go to The Chrysler to see my 4 year old's fridge paintings, you go to see Monet, a master painter.

Let's be Monet and Lennon. Let's be Norfolk-Virginia Beach!

Ok, VDOGG, fair enough. I just see that the number one gripe off all times for this region is lack of identity. We've all been in a position to have to explain what "Tidewater" and "Hampton Roads" is. I strongly feel these tag names hurt more that they help, and they are definately confusing to most folks. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

Let's just say there is a problem, hypothetically if you cannot grasp it in reality. Wouldn't you want to do all you can to fix this particular problem? Here's one; VCU is in a horrible location in Richmond. It doesn't fit well within the Fan District and creates a dead-zone for Downtown. I cannot fix this problem. Here's another problem I have. I hate that we're trying to call this region "Hampton Roads/Tidewater." Maybe we cannot totally fix this problem, but we can start right here at UrbanPlanet.

I'm of the frame of mind that when you go to name something, that name is obvious. If I paint a still life of bananas, I'm going to call that "Bananas" and be done with it. I won't be calling it "The Fruit of the Curvy Yellow." Unless I'm a total jerk, why would I do that?

If you had to name an area that contained the following, what would you call it.

Norfolk Tides.

Virginia Beach Oceanfront.

Downtown Norfolk.

Virginia Beach Town Center.

Newport News City Center.

Olde Town Portsmouth.

Virginia Beach Board Walk.

Williamsburg.

Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.

I-64.

Hampton.

Mount Trashmore.

Atlantic Ocean.

Elizabeth River.

I surely would never call it "I-64" or "Hampton Roads" or "Mount Trashmore." (And I am absolutely not suggesting that you are behind this lame name. I suspect you are like the rest of us and just got stuck with it.)

Another analogy. What if the Beatles decided to name themselves after one of the members. Only as a joke would they call themselves "Ringo Star." Sorry, but that's just the way it is. I cannot help that John Lennon has way, way more talent for writing songs. Calling our great region "Hampton Roads" is plain nonescence when you have two big names that are better and more deserving; "Norfolk" and "Virginia Beach." Heck if John Lennon just called the band John Lennon he wouldn't have needed to quit the Beatles. Additionally, unless we start cranking out hit singles, no one will ever know the name "Hampton Roads;" certainly not over more popular Virginia Beach and noteworthly Norfolk.

Back to the Beatles for a moment. If John Lennon were playing on the same night as Ringo Star but in different venues and you had tickets to both but you couldn't physically be at both, what show would you go to? If you could take a weeks vacation to either Suffolk or Virginia Beach, where would you go? Maybe you'd be the only one in Suffolk rocking out to Ringo, but not the rest of us, Dude. I'm just saying that there is a natural hierarchy at play and respect should be given where rightly deserved. You don't go to The Chrysler to see my 4 year old's fridge paintings, you go to see Monet, a master painter.

Let's be Monet and Lennon. Let's be Norfolk-Virginia Beach!

Well, what we've decided to do is just drop the moniker entirely, and go with metros idea. That being putting the Norfolk and Virginia Beach subforums, along with all threads currently in HR under Virginia. This should serve to raise the prominence of both. I hear what you're saying about the regional name. It is the same complaint that has been put out by everyone for nearly 20 years now. That said, the names that we tend to put on regions are for organizational purposes only. If a region has a common or official name or even a nickname that the majority of the public seems to go with that's how we label it. It never ceases to amaze me how much conflict such a small issue seems to cause in the forums. I think USA South was renamed and reorganized 5 times before something stuck. Simply because we decided to put that as the name to begin with, does not mean it was an endorsement of the name, it is simply what we had to go with. The battle for the naming of our metro region does not begin and end in this forum. At least everyone can agree on Virginia :lol: , hopefully this calms the issue down a bit.

haha what did VCU have to do with renaming the HR section again? (IMO, the parking lot filled blocks of Monroe Ward create that void, not VCU, though I agree that it clashes a bit with the Fan Neighborhood)...

anyways, I know it wouldnt be used, but I hear many people, including people I go to school with that are from HR, refer to the area simply as "the beach."

When I hear Tidewater, I think Smithfield and Virginia Diner and Soybean/peanut fields, but I don't really think of Norfolk or Virginia Beach. Just my 2 cents :)

Archived