Three Six Mafia at the Academy Awards

Bears

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love every minute of it! i've been a huge fan of three 6 for a looong time and i was really happy for them. you could tell they were one of the only people happy to be there. congratulations to three 6 mafia and memphis! btw, who is wendi c thomas and what did she say?

i love every minute of it! i've been a huge fan of three 6 for a looong time and i was really happy for them. you could tell they were one of the only people happy to be there. congratulations to three 6 mafia and memphis! btw, who is wendi c thomas and what did she say?

I think she's a commentator for the Commercial Appeal. I don't there was time for her to say anything yet but look out tommorow! She might say somthing to the effect of "We don't want that that type of behavior repersenting our city" or something like that. I think that a pretty memorable performance and acceptance speech and it definatly didn't make them or Memphis look bad. I watched the Oscars basically for that part and they were the highlight of the entire evening.

Actually, I think Whoop That Trick was the better song from the movie.

Plus, the Univ. of Memphis pep band always plays Whoop That Trick at Tiger basketball games. :lol:

i agree. i guess a song about beating prostitutes is more risque than a song about the tribulations of a "ho"seller.... :D

at least the audience got a glimpse of life at the corner of 7th street and Memphis, Tenn haha. Good for them and good for Memphis and I don't care what Wendi C. Thomas has to say about it.

They were the only reason that I watched the Oscar's.....Wendi Thomas did ridicule the entire thing in today's C.A. While I can understand her concern about the subject matter, I'm still proud of them and I enjoyed their performance! :thumbsup:

Was that not the funniest acceptance speach ever? :rofl: Kinda sad they didn't wear any Grizzlies gear though.

I'm sure a lot of folks have given voice to this elsewhere, but I have to frankly voice my disgust at the entire proceedings. Hollywood continues to move farther and farther away from the mainstream of America, and the Academy Awards demostrated the distance of that disconnect. Whether celebrating deviant or offensive films that the bulk of the American people had no interest in viewing, or the aforementioned subject matter of the thread, the nomination and "awarding" of disgusting, vulgar, racist, misogynistic, criminal so-called "music." It wasn't funny in the least, but very sad. Probably now the only thing one can watch at the Oscars is the death roll, seeing the truly talented people of old-school Hollywood (the Hollywood that once was respectable) pass on, a truly sad occasion, since virtually no one and nothing coming up today can match their excellence. What a shame. :(

Whether celebrating deviant or offensive films that the bulk of the American people had no interest in viewing, or the aforementioned subject matter of the thread, the nomination and "awarding" of disgusting, vulgar, racist, misogynistic, criminal so-called "music." It wasn't funny in the least, but very sad. Probably now the only thing one can watch at the Oscars is the death roll

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sure a lot of folks have given voice to this elsewhere, but I have to frankly voice my disgust at the entire proceedings. Hollywood continues to move farther and farther away from the mainstream of America, and the Academy Awards demostrated the distance of that disconnect. Whether celebrating deviant or offensive films that the bulk of the American people had no interest in viewing, or the aforementioned subject matter of the thread, the nomination and "awarding" of disgusting, vulgar, racist, misogynistic, criminal so-called "music." It wasn't funny in the least, but very sad. Probably now the only thing one can watch at the Oscars is the death roll, seeing the truly talented people of old-school Hollywood (the Hollywood that once was respectable) pass on, a truly sad occasion, since virtually no one and nothing coming up today can match their excellence. What a shame. :(

who said that mainstream america was the best? if you really look into cities you will find these things that three 6 mafia is rapping about. they aren't glorifying this lifestyle, they are simply telling a story about what's going on in their world. while you might see it as disgusting, you do not have to live in a world that they were brought up in. they weren't raised in mainstream america. hollywood isn't and never will be a place to set the standards on morals. it is a place to escape and express yourself. this is what three 6 mafia did.

who said that mainstream america was the best? if you really look into cities you will find these things that three 6 mafia is rapping about. they aren't glorifying this lifestyle, they are simply telling a story about what's going on in their world. while you might see it as disgusting, you do not have to live in a world that they were brought up in. they weren't raised in mainstream america. hollywood isn't and never will be a place to set the standards on morals. it is a place to escape and express yourself. this is what three 6 mafia did.

Mainstream America are the people for whom Hollywood is reliant upon to purchase their "product", and yet they fail to get the hint and continue to put out "products" that aren't getting bought (and dare to criticize the straights for not being "enlightened" or "tolerant" enough for shelling out the $$ for their substandard sanctimonious and offensive junk). No one is denying what goes on in cities, or wherever else, but the problem with glorifying it (I'm sorry, but all of this is a cottage industry of glorification) is that it tends to perpetuate and exacerbate the situation. I've watched that situation worsen over the past 25 years into the culture that rap "music" has created where it never existed beforehand. To also assume I've never lived in such a "world" is also presumptive on your part. I went to school in the inner city and live in a declining section of Nashville where crime is not a rare occurrance. Perhaps if we stopped glorifying this garbage and started saving the lives of youngsters who believe this is a normal and mainstream lifestyle, we could make this a better place for everyone. As for expressing oneself, there are a great many ways to do it in a more positive and uplifting way. When I was a toddler, I "expressed" myself by smearing fecal matter on walls, and then I grew up and realized it was not a nice, respectful, or productive pursuit to be engaged in (but at least my excuse was that I was a child, and these are grown-ups). Perhaps it is time a lot of these so-called artists and musicians realized the same, because they surely won't get kudos from me and millions of others for the crap they spread on our culture today.

That would have been great would'nt it! To grow up in the world you grew up in that was completely void of crime! man, you were so lucky. :thumbsup: Until that big bad musical genre came along and created criminals. :angry:

Bottom line, No one in the world has the right to ever rationalize a musical genre. Simply because I guarantee you, that whatever music You listen too, was or is hated, negated, and different to certain groups of people. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Hip Hop is not going anywhere anytime soon, you don't have to like it, but it does you no good to waste your breath complaining about it, so live with it. Okay. :shades:

Mainstream America are the people for whom Hollywood is reliant upon to purchase their "product", and yet they fail to get the hint and continue to put out "products" that aren't getting bought (and dare to criticize the straights for not being "enlightened" or "tolerant" enough for shelling out the $$ for their substandard sanctimonious and offensive junk). No one is denying what goes on in cities, or wherever else, but the problem with glorifying it (I'm sorry, but all of this is a cottage industry of glorification) is that it tends to perpetuate and exacerbate the situation. I've watched that situation worsen over the past 25 years into the culture that rap "music" has created where it never existed beforehand. To also assume I've never lived in such a "world" is also presumptive on your part. I went to school in the inner city and live in a declining section of Nashville where crime is not a rare occurrance. Perhaps if we stopped glorifying this garbage and started saving the lives of youngsters who believe this is a normal and mainstream lifestyle, we could make this a better place for everyone. As for expressing oneself, there are a great many ways to do it in a more positive and uplifting way. When I was a toddler, I "expressed" myself by smearing fecal matter on walls, and then I grew up and realized it was not a nice, respectful, or productive pursuit to be engaged in (but at least my excuse was that I was a child, and these are grown-ups). Perhaps it is time a lot of these so-called artists and musicians realized the same, because they surely won't get kudos from me and millions of others for the crap they spread on our culture today.

so what you are saying is that hollywood should only put out movies that are about mainstream america? movies about gay cowboys are junk because some straight people are offended at the thought of a man loving another man? you're basically saying that you want one of the most liberal places to express yourself should shackle it's freedom because conservative america doesn't like it. the last time i checked, movies weren't forced upon anyone. you have the option of seeing what you want to see. and your comment that rap music has created a problem is presumptive. rap music isn't making these things happen. rap music is letting everyone else know what is happening. before rap music, the majority of white america did not know nor care about what was happening in the inner city. but now with rap (i prefer to call it hip hop music) we can actually see and hear about what is going on. it has given the people in the inner city a voice. sure, citizen cane was a great movie, but do you think that the people getting shot out in the street gave a crap about rosebud? i say it's about time for hip hop to come out. america needs to take off its blinders and face its problems. hip hop isn't glorifying anything but the spirit that these people are still alive today even with what they have had to deal with. you can't help someone without first listening.

That would have been great would'nt it! To grow up in the world you grew up in that was completely void of crime! man, you were so lucky. :thumbsup: Until that big bad musical genre came along and created criminals. :angry:

Bottom line, No one in the world has the right to ever rationalize a musical genre. Simply because I guarantee you, that whatever music You listen too, was or is hated, negated, and different to certain groups of people. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Hip Hop is not going anywhere anytime soon, you don't have to like it, but it does you no good to waste your breath complaining about it, so live with it. Okay. :shades:

Please name me one musical genre that has created and celebrated an entire culture of criminality and violence, misogyny and depravity as rap has in such a relatively short period of time... Because there hasn't been. This goes beyond the usual "generational" thing where old fogeys desparage the music of the youngsters, this is about someone of the same generation recognizing the inherent destructiveness this one particular genre has wrought. The common theme in all of this is that no one talks about the responsibility of these so-called artists. What the hell would these punks care about the damage it does to their own communities when they're making millions of dollars ?

BTW, I don't feel I'm wasting my breath complaining about destructive garbage. Maybe if a few people stand up and proclaim loudly they've had about enough of this nonsense, it will inspire others to do the same. Enough is enough.

Please name me one musical genre that has created and celebrated an entire culture of criminality and violence, misogyny and depravity as rap has in such a relatively short period of time... Because there hasn't been. This goes beyond the usual "generational" thing where old fogeys desparage the music of the youngsters, this is about someone of the same generation recognizing the inherent destructiveness this one particular genre has wrought. The common theme in all of this is that no one talks about the responsibility of these so-called artists. What the hell would these punks care about the damage it does to their own communities when they're making millions of dollars ?

BTW, I don't feel I'm wasting my breath complaining about destructive garbage. Maybe if a few people stand up and proclaim loudly they've had about enough of this nonsense, it will inspire others to do the same. Enough is enough.

once again, rap has not created any of this criminality, violence, misogyny and depravity. that stuff has always been there. what rap has done is put it out there for the public to be made aware of it.

so what you are saying is that hollywood should only put out movies that are about mainstream america? movies about gay cowboys are junk because some straight people are offended at the thought of a man loving another man? you're basically saying that you want one of the most liberal places to express yourself should shackle it's freedom because conservative america doesn't like it. the last time i checked, movies weren't forced upon anyone. you have the option of seeing what you want to see.

How about putting out movies that America wants to see ? The American public has shown Hollywood time and time again what they want to see, and Hollywood is loathe to put it out (or simply mocks it). The last time I checked, Hollywood is a business. How many businesses do you know that last putting out product almost nobody wants ? Perhaps if they got back to entertaining the public instead of sending self-important messages and pontificating on issues that wreak of hypocrisy, they might watch their bottom lines start to rise again.

You are more than welcome to have your opinion :) I know that there are a lot of people out there who think just like you, and not just about Hip Hop either. While preparing a report for a visual arts class, I stumbled upon this website that explains the discouragement of another musical genre, Heavy Metal. Being a listener of Hip Hop music, I am more than aware that I particularly have no room to diminish any music, because of what the Hip Hop culture has endured from people with your mode of thinking. I have no problems with Heavy Metal. If it sounds good to your ear drums, listen to it, but some of the things that are said on this site may reflect your mentality toward Hip Hop.

http://www.teenink.com/Past/1990/892.html

You are more than welcome to have your opinion :) I know that there are a lot of people out there who think just like you, and not just about Hip Hop either. While preparing a report for a visual arts class, I stumbled upon this website that explains the discouragement of another musical genre, Heavy Metal. Being a listener of Hip Hop music, I am more than aware that I particularly have no room to diminish any music because of what the Hip Hop culture has endured because of people with your mode of thinking. I have no problems with Heavy Metal. If it sound good to your ear drums, listen to it, but some of the things that are said on this site may reflect your mentality toward Hip Hop.

http://www.teenink.com/Past/1990/892.html

I'm 31, Heavy Metal music has been around for most of my lifetime (I'm not sure what year it was considered "created", I think some have cited the late '60s), and some of it was considered problematic and destructive (some was), but there was nothing on a scale of what came as a result of rap music and the culture it spawned. It was odd, I remember when rap first came out in the early '80s as it started to displace the music of the late '70s (Soul, R&B, Disco), the earliest incarnations were amusing, entertaining, and seemed to inspire the breakdancing craze. But within only a few years, it went to a very dark place, and the early "innocence" disappeared quickly as it became associated with and exacerbating the problems within the inner-city Black community, to the point that it was indistinguishable from the criminal gangster culture, which sought to glorify the lifestyle and "inspire" others to follow it. Like I said, there has been no similar musical genre that has caused or inspired this level of personal destruction, violence, and all the rest. I at least hope to live long enough to see it smashed into a million pieces, only left as a bygone relic of a time when the worst and most denigrating aspects of civilization were held up sickeningly as a "positive." That day cannot come soon enough.

Actually, I think Whoop That Trick was the better song from the movie.

Plus, the Univ. of Memphis pep band always plays Whoop That Trick at Tiger basketball games. :lol:

I didn't think "Hard out here for a pimp" was the best song in the movie either. Al Kapone is another local rapper who contributed to the soundtrack--with "keep hustlin," which is my favorite.

How about putting out movies that America wants to see ? The American public has shown Hollywood time and time again what they want to see, and Hollywood is loathe to put it out (or simply mocks it). The last time I checked, Hollywood is a business. How many businesses do you know that last putting out product almost nobody wants ? Perhaps if they got back to entertaining the public instead of sending self-important messages and pontificating on issues that wreak of hypocrisy, they might watch their bottom lines start to rise again.

and your comment that rap music has created a problem is presumptive. rap music isn't making these things happen. rap music is letting everyone else know what is happening. before rap music, the majority of white america did not know nor care about what was happening in the inner city. but now with rap (i prefer to call it hip hop music) we can actually see and hear about what is going on. it has given the people in the inner city a voice. sure, citizen cane was a great movie, but do you think that the people getting shot out in the street gave a crap about rosebud? i say it's about time for hip hop to come out. america needs to take off its blinders and face its problems. hip hop isn't glorifying anything but the spirit that these people are still alive today even with what they have had to deal with. you can't help someone without first listening.

I'm sorry, but that is the biggest load of baloney I've read today. To say that rap music culture has NOT created a problem is outrageously ignorant. I have to wonder what planet rap defenders live on to be so blinded by the reality of the situation of the last 20 years. Before rap music, dear sir, a lot of the problems we see today DIDN'T EXIST in "the inner city", or were a blip on the radar screen. Thanks to rap, the problems have not only exploded, the problems are CELEBRATED, criminality is REVERED, disrespect to women is EXPECTED. Rap music managed to do in 25 years to the Black community (with overflow onto others) what White supremacists couldn't do in 200 years. I'm sorry, fella, but seeing a bunch of thuggish clowns mugging it up for the camera with gold teeth screaming profanities into the camera backed up by young women with no sense of respect or dignity dressed as "ho's" is something to hang one's head in shame at. Remember, these "artists" don't want that "culture" to change, because it's their bread and butter.

As Booker T. Washington said, "There is another class of (Black) people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the (Black) race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs -- partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the (Black) to lose his grievances, because they do do not want to lose their jobs." For a man who died over 65 years before rap music let loose like explosive diarrhea, he sure had it pegged.

Like I said, I wonder what planet rap defenders live on. Booker T. Washington was so right.

It's amazing the complaints about Elvis (I never heard much complaints about Mr. Hayes), which are so quaint by today's standards. If only the problems in the music industry were as simple as "suggestive gyrations" of the hips. Shows truly how far down we've gone. :(

or could it possibly be that rap music has paralleled with the problem and not actually been the cause of it? are there some rappers that do glorify some of these violent ways? sure. but it is not the majority. the inner city hasn't been hurt by rap. it has been put into the mainstream media because those that lived in the inner city were tired of being ignored. and yes, those bad things have been happening for a looooong time. even before rap. and to say that rap hasn't helped the community is simply ignorant. just look at what happened when hurricane katrina hit. who was there taking care of their own people. it wasn't the government or the mainstream media (except for those few photo ops). rappers went above and beyond to make sure that their people had the bare nessesities to survive. they used their money and their fame gained by rap to help out their communities when no one else would. this is just one example of how rap has helped their own people. and if mainstream america didn't like hollywood, then why would hollywood be in business?

I'm 31, Heavy Metal music has been around for most of my lifetime (I'm not sure what year it was considered "created", I think some have cited the late '60s), and some of it was considered problematic and destructive (some was), but there was nothing on a scale of what came as a result of rap music and the culture it spawned. It was odd, I remember when rap first came out in the early '80s as it started to displace the music of the late '70s (Soul, R&B, Disco), the earliest incarnations were amusing, entertaining, and seemed to inspire the breakdancing craze. But within only a few years, it went to a very dark place, and the early "innocence" disappeared quickly as it became associated with and exacerbating the problems within the inner-city Black community, to the point that it was indistinguishable from the criminal gangster culture, which sought to glorify the lifestyle and "inspire" others to follow it. Like I said, there has been no similar musical genre that has caused or inspired this level of personal destruction, violence, and all the rest. I at least hope to live long enough to see it smashed into a million pieces, only left as a bygone relic of a time when the worst and most denigrating aspects of civilization were held up sickeningly as a "positive." That day cannot come soon enough.

rap is a reflection of what is going on in that community. the community is not a reflection of what is going on with rap.

fieldmarshaldj, I'm not going to try to change your opinion or anything...but I'm just curious...Have you seen HUSTLE AND FLOW? You know, the movie that won the oscar. The most "denigrating aspects of civilization" are in no way put in a positive light.

or could it possibly be that rap music has paralleled with the problem and not actually been the cause of it? are there some rappers that do glorify some of these violent ways? sure. but it is not the majority. the inner city hasn't been hurt by rap. it has been put into the mainstream media because those that lived in the inner city were tired of being ignored. and yes, those bad things have been happening for a looooong time. even before rap. and to say that rap hasn't helped the community is simply ignorant. just look at what happened when hurricane katrina hit. who was there taking care of their own people. it wasn't the government or the mainstream media (except for those few photo ops). rappers went above and beyond to make sure that their people had the bare nessesities to survive. they used their money and their fame gained by rap to help out their communities when no one else would. this is just one example of how rap has helped their own people. and if mainstream america didn't like hollywood, then why would hollywood be in business?

Nope, it hasn't exclusively paralleled the problem, it created problems where none previously existed. If you had said the phrase "Gangsta Rap" in 1984, people would've looked at you like you were from Mars. A whole culture centered on music whose central tenets are violence, criminality, degradation, misogyny, everything I said before. They're not about HIGHLIGHTING the problem, they're about celebrating the lifestyle. Remove that rap music from the equation and the only folks that stand to lose are the irresponsible punk music execs and so-called artists who make billions off this abomination. I've never heard the claim about how these folks "helped" in the aftermath of Katrina, but I'd dare say had the culture never risen and if the majority of the residents in places like New Orleans and other inner cities not wedded themselves to a certain political party which has exploited them for 200 years and given them nothing but misery, hopelessness, and statism in return, they'd all be far better off. But that's for another discussion.

Archived