Names?

dimebag1980

Richard here. I post more in the Memphis forum since I grew up there, but I moved to Baton Rouge in '04. I love New Orleans!

Great to meet you Richard! :) I don't think I've visited the Memphis forum, although I should. Memphis is a pretty cool place. And I've seen you... I believe on the Baton Rouge forum a few times.

Damn I didn't see this thread. I'm Travis and live in Algiers, which as I'm sure all of you know, is within the city limits of New Orleans... often forgotten pre-Katrina, less so now. Family roots go back in New Orleans almost to it's founding... first in the Quarter of course, then over to Algiers in the early 1800's.

Damn I didn't see this thread. I'm Travis and live in Algiers, which as I'm sure all of you know, is within the city limits of New Orleans... often forgotten pre-Katrina, less so now. Family roots go back in New Orleans almost to it's founding... first in the Quarter of course, then over to Algiers in the early 1800's.

It's nice to meet you, Travis! You were one of the first Louisiana members over here at UP, and it's great to have you here! :thumbsup:

You guys may think I'm a total retard, but I had no idea Algiers was actually inside the New Orleans city limits. I always assumed it was a separate town over there.

Algiers was annexed by New Orleans in 1870, but up until then, it had been its own town.

Algiers was annexed by New Orleans in 1870, but up until then, it had been its own town.

Oh, okay, so you're telling me I'm living back in the 1860s!? I've also always heard the one place in the New Orleans area to avoid, as far as crime is concerned, is Algiers. How much truth is to that?

Oh, okay, so you're telling me I'm living back in the 1860s!? I've also always heard the one place in the New Orleans area to avoid, as far as crime is concerned, is Algiers. How much truth is to that?

I'm not very familiar with crime in Algiers. I've never had a problem over there, and I'm sure there are certain spots to avoid just like all of New Orleans, but I couldn't tell you much more than that. I'm sure Travis will be able to tell you more.

I'm glad you asked that. Algiers encompasses a little of the worst of New Orleans and some of the best of New Orleans as well. The area stretches from English Turn all the way to Algiers Point... one of the most historic and beautiful neighborhoods in the city. So, it's really a large area. High crime areas in Algiers are mostly around both ends of Gen. Meyer Ave, which runs from Algiers point about 5 miles down to Cutoff. Cutoff is directly accross the Mississippi River from Chalmette... approximately the Murphy oil refinery area, so it's downriver a good ways. In between are middle to upper-middle class neighborhoods with very little to no crime. However, the area of Algiers most prone to crime is the area that most people see... the area where the Crescent City Connection empties into the westbank. However, Algiers accounts for a negligible number of total crimes in New Orleans. It's often misunderstood because so few people venture into this area of the city. Algiers Point truly is one of the best-kept secrets of New Orleans. It looks exactly like the nice areas of Uptown, with the same archietecture and live oak-lined streets. Neighborhood bars, restaurants, and corner grocery stores are common in this area... mostly home to young families and old New Orleans families. Algiers is home to about 70,000 New Orleanians. It's worth discovering if you ever have the time. There are no really hardcore high crime areas which are common among eastbank areas around housing developments. Just know that it is very similar to other areas of the city... the good live next to the bad, but we wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Typical Algiers Point home...

10.jpg

Algiers Point's Catholic Church...

church.jpg

Bed and Breakfast in Algiers Point...

front.jpg

Most other homes in Algiers look about like this...

634441.jpg

Map of the Algiers area of New Orleans...

dist12.gif

And here's a good link of more Algiers archietecture... LINK

Edited by TSmith

Wow, Travis, thanks for the information! I was a little concerned you'd be offended by my inquiry, but like I said I've always heard it was a place to avoid so I always have. I've seen people ferry across to it but never have just because of what I'd heard. And for whatever reason I never considered that, last time I was in New Orleans (which was the first time I'd ever driven down there myself,) I missed my exit off 90 and ended up in Algiers. I had no idea that's where I was, but I did end up getting back on the Connection and onto the westbank.

Beautiful houses as well, so thanks for adding the photos. :)

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Name's Jake. I live in Douglasville, GA (a suburb that's about 20 miles west of Atlanta along I-20). My Dad has family in Pascagoula and is from the area himself (his family goes back to the 1700's in the area). I know some about the Mississippi and Louisiana Coast (including New Orleans). I post here evry now and then when I remember to stop by.

Edited by ironchapman

Name's Jake. I live in Douglasville, GA (a suburb that's about 20 miles west of Atlanta along I-20). My Dad has family in Pascagoula and is from the area himself (his family goes back to the 1700's in the area). I know some about the Mississippi and Louisiana Coast (including New Orleans). I post here evry now and then when I remember to stop by.

My wife's uncle's name is Jake and he's a cool guy, so you must be a cool guy. :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, it is good to meet you. I've seen you on some of the other forums, so I'm pretty familiar with you from that.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

It's nice to have you over here, Jake! :thumbsup:

Not that I don't trust any of you, but since my last name is my handle, I think we'll leave it at that. I don't know, I guess I have a hang-up about releasing too much info on the net.

Anyway, I'm from Lafayette, LA (born and raised) and have Creole roots that go back to the founding of New Orleans, Cajun roots and even some central LA Pentecostal roots. I think we live in the most interesting and beautiful state in the Union and I enjoy discussing the comings and goings with y'all.

Not that I don't trust any of you, but since my last name is my handle, I think we'll leave it at that. I don't know, I guess I have a hang-up about releasing too much info on the net.

Anyway, I'm from Lafayette, LA (born and raised) and have Creole roots that go back to the founding of New Orleans, Cajun roots and even some central LA Pentecostal roots. I think we live in the most interesting and beautiful state in the Union and I enjoy discussing the comings and goings with y'all.

Haha... I knew it... you're John Breaux! :D

Seriously, I kinda figured your last name was Breaux! Don't worry about not wanting to give all your personal information out... I doubt anyone here can blame you. Otherwise we'd all be giving our full names.

Good to "officially" meet you still, Breaux!

Hey guys, Im Tommy from the Richmond forum. Originally from Long Island New York and then down to Houston Texas now up in VA. Passed through New Orleans and Baton Rouge once in the 90's and it seems like a cool place. Ive been here and there throughout the Louisiana forum and hope to contribute more! I hope other people will open up to other forums. Some people never venture outside there state. ^_^

Hey guys, Im Tommy from the Richmond forum. Originally from Long Island New York and then down to Houston Texas now up in VA. Passed through New Orleans and Baton Rouge once in the 90's and it seems like a cool place. Ive been here and there throughout the Louisiana forum and hope to contribute more! I hope other people will open up to other forums. Some people never venture outside there state. ^_^

It can be hard for some people to venture out, considering most people are more in tune to what's going on in their own areas rather than in another. But I try to venture out and I do prefer when others do as well. It's a big world out there, and there is obviously a lot going on in many areas of our country. Heck, I didn't even know how big Richmond was until I started visiting UP!

Anyway, good to meet you, Tommy!! You and I have spoken very briefly before, so I feel I know you a little bit already.

Glad to meet you Phil, Beaux, and Tommy!

Phil, how are thing's going over there in Slidell? I was over there last week, and some parts of east Saint Tammany look great, while others only a short distance away look completely devastated.

And Tommy, I definately try to get out of the Louisiana forum. I look through the Atlanta, Arkansas, and Nashville forums often, but I've never really checked out the Virgina forum, I'll have to go do that!

It's great to have all of y'all here!

Nice to meet you Tommy.

I was very impressed with the size of Richmond, the one-time I got to pass-thru in the late 90's coming from DC. Did they ever finish the Interstate construction ? They had a dense, elongated Skyline. I had underestimated Richmond before that. I always realized the whole area was some of the most historic in U.S.

Nice to meet you Tommy.

I was very impressed with the size of Richmond, the one-time I got to pass-thru in the late 90's coming from DC. Did they ever finish the Interstate construction ? They had a dense, elongated Skyline. I had underestimated Richmond before that. I always realized the whole area was some of the most historic in U.S.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Richmond's interstates have all been connected at the I-64, I-95, and I-195 belt that surrounds the city. The one you might have crossed was most likely the James River Bridge (the one with the best view :shades: ) that uses I-95 N & S. Richmond's skyline as of late Late March is on my signature and 2007 is our 400th Birthday :yahoo: A big celebration involving the Queen of England and President Bush, the whole fireworks extravaganza and the sailing of Godspeed (one of the ships used to discover Jamestown) into the Port of Richmond. Its all year long and Summer Games, fireworks, and the National Folk Festival will all take place that year. A good time to visit. Anywho, enough advertising :lol: Excited to be in the LA forum :D

Edited by TBurban

I wasn't sure whether to post since I'm on the Arkansas forum more. But since we have others introducing themselves I guess I might as well. I'm Rod, although Mith is actually a nickname I've had for quite a few years now. And despite my similar appearance to one of the Mythbusters, my nickname irocnically doesn't come from there. :D