Names?

dimebag1980

I wasn't sure whether to post since I'm on the Arkansas forum more. But since we have others introducing themselves I guess I might as well. I'm Rod, although Mith is actually a nickname I've had for quite a few years now. And despite my similar appearance to one of the Mythbusters, my nickname irocnically doesn't come from there. :D

Damn, how did I see this post and never reply? I'm glad Nate pushed it back up!

I bet you look like the little red-headed guy, don't you, Rod!? Actually one of my best friends growing up looked just like him so it's all good if you do.

Oh, and glad to have ya here, Rod.

Slidell is a huge dichotomy right now. I live on the north side of town...and things are pretty much back to normal. A few blue roofs...but most repairs are done. Businesses are open and traffic is bad. South Slidell is a whole other world. Once you get south of Fremaux and Shortcut Highway...you really get into the flood zone. Many people are still in the starting phases of rebuilding and are living elsewhere and most of the businesses on Pontchartrain and Old Spanish Trail have not reopened. However...I see progress every time I go down there. They are working on the McDonalds at I-10 right now...and the China Buffet has managed to reopen. Southside Cafe is coming along nicely as well. It is going to be another couple of years before the area comes back completely due to the scale of reconstruction taking place.

Damn, how did I see this post and never reply? I'm glad Nate pushed it back up!

I bet you look like the little red-headed guy, don't you, Rod!? Actually one of my best friends growing up looked just like him so it's all good if you do.

Oh, and glad to have ya here, Rod.

Nope I look like Jamie. But I don't own a beret. But I really get a lot of comments about Mythbusters, it's pretty funny.

Wow, man, I didn't picture you looking like him at all.

If I'm ever in NWA, I'm going to bring you a beret. Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.

:lol: I do have some hats. I have one, I don't know what it's called but if you turn it backwards it looks a little like a beret. I don't tend to wear hats a lot when it warms up unless I'm worried about my head getting sunburn. I prefer them in the winter. One of these days I'll have to take a pic of myself and post it here on UP.

Don't leave a brotha hangin, guys. I've raised the bar pretty high... not becuase I'm good-looking or anything (even though I am,) but just because I got up the nerve to post my photos!

Oh yes you set it pretty high, but the thing is, I don't want to embarrass you guys with my amazing good lookingness. :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, what the heck....I a fairly infrequent poster here, but I've been visiting the forum fairly regularly for the past month or so. I'm Bret, and other than a month in Starkville, MS and a month in Baton Rouge (both months courtesy of Katrina), I've lived inside the city limits of New Orleans all my life. Grew up in the Upper Ninth Ward, and now live in the Gentilly Terrace area.

These are exciting times to be living in New Orleans, I can tell you.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, what the heck....I a fairly infrequent poster here, but I've been visiting the forum fairly regularly for the past month or so. I'm Bret, and other than a month in Starkville, MS and a month in Baton Rouge (both months courtesy of Katrina), I've lived inside the city limits of New Orleans all my life. Grew up in the Upper Ninth Ward, and now live in the Gentilly Terrace area.

These are exciting times to be living in New Orleans, I can tell you.

It's nice to have you here, Bret! I've seen you around the New Orleans forum a bit, and I agree with you, these are very exciting times to be living in New Orleans.

BTW guys, I did a little bit of rearranging in the pinned topics section, and this thread is now pinned, and the "Southeast Louisiana Development Thread" has been moved back into the normal section of the forum.

By the way...now living in a FEMA trailer on what used to be my front lawn...with my wife and two teen-aged sons. Talk about close quarters.

By the way...now living in a FEMA trailer on what used to be my front lawn...with my wife and two teen-aged sons. Talk about close quarters.

Wow. I guess all I can say is at least you were fortunate enough to get a trailer. I've heard those things are very hard to get!

Man, that must be tough, especially with two teen-aged sons. But like Brian said, you're still fortunate just to have the trailer. A family friend of mine had, along with his wife, been living in a tent in the first floor of his gutted home until last week, when he finally got the keys to his trailer. And even he is much much more fortunate than countless people across the city.

Man, that must be tough, especially with two teen-aged sons. But like Brian said, you're still fortunate just to have the trailer. A family friend of mine had, along with his wife, been living in a tent in the first floor of his gutted home until last week, when he finally got the keys to his trailer. And even he is much much more fortunate than countless people across the city.

Living in a tent up until last week? I'd be scared sh*tless living in a tent in the middle of the city.

Living in a tent up until last week? I'd be scared sh*tless living in a tent in the middle of the city.

I'd be scared living in a tent for that long anywhere! I'll tell ya Brian, come down to New Orleans for even only one day, and you'll see and hear about living situations even more crazy than that.

I'd be scared living in a tent for that long anywhere! I'll tell ya Brian, come down to New Orleans for even only one day, and you'll see and hear about living situations even more crazy than that.

That just absolutely amazes me... but on the bright side, things are slowly changing.

I really feel sorry for the people down there... the people the media forgot. :angry:

That just absolutely amazes me... but on the bright side, things are slowly changing.

I really feel sorry for the people down there... the people the media forgot. :angry:

Yes things are definately changing, and for the most part, changing for the better.

I feel sorry for all of these people too, and believe me, like everyone says, it's much worse seeing all of the devestation and suffering in person, than it is to see on the news. Seeing parts of the city that were once thriving in complete ruins, and seeing friends and family that were some of the most positive and happy people you knew lose everything, including hope, is tough. And believe me, this isn't the case for just me, it's thousands and thousands of people.

Seriously though man, I hope you're able to make the 300 mile trip down here soon. While the city is gaining people and strength every day, there is still alot to be done. And you really have to see parts of the city and metro area that were devastaded with your own eyes to fully get an idea of what happened and what these people are going through.

Yes things are definately changing, and for the most part, changing for the better.

I feel sorry for all of these people too, and believe me, like everyone says, it's much worse seeing all of the devestation and suffering in person, than it is to see on the news. Seeing parts of the city that were once thriving in complete ruins, and seeing friends and family that were some of the most positive and happy people you knew lose everything, including hope, is tough. And believe me, this isn't the case for just me, it's thousands and thousands of people.

Seriously though man, I hope you're able to make the 300 mile trip down here soon. While the city is gaining people and strength every day, there is still alot to be done. And you really have to see parts of the city and metro area that were devastaded with your own eyes to fully get an idea of what happened and what these people are going through.

I'd really love to...

And I wish I'd been able to help in rebuilding efforts.

I'd really love to...

And I wish I'd been able to help in rebuilding efforts.

I really wish I'd done more to help too. I donated money to local Katrina relief funds, where I knew the money would be put to proper use, and I did help quite a bit with gutting homes, installing tarps, debris pick up and clean up, etc. with other groups of volunteers, but I really wish I had done more after Katrina. There's still plenty of time to volunteer for other things however, and I'm planning on spending 3 or 4 days in about two weeks helping people in the Lower 9th Ward with daily post-Katrina cleanup chores. It's really a rewarding experience.

I really wish I'd done more to help too. I donated money to local Katrina relief funds, where I knew the money would be put to proper use, and I did help quite a bit with gutting homes, installing tarps, debris pick up and clean up, etc. with other groups of volunteers, but I really wish I had done more after Katrina. There's still plenty of time to volunteer for other things however, and I'm planning on spending 3 or 4 days in about two weeks helping people in the Lower 9th Ward with daily post-Katrina cleanup chores. It's really a rewarding experience.

Very cool, man, I really hope you get to. If I could, I most certainly would. It would definitely be rewarding, no doubt.