Terrazzo Information

smeagolsfree

I could not find the Terrazzo thread so I thought it would be a good idea to start one since this will likely be the next tower to break ground in Nashville unless the Encore goes first. I think they are suppose to break about the same time. Here is the link to their website. FYI.

http://www.terrazzonashville.com/

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as they were wanting to start on this it seems as if the demo would already be taking place. I was hoping it would be taller but thats my hope for everything built. Either way it will be a nice addition once they finally get started.

The description on the website sounds wonderful. 12 Ft ceilings throughout and a roof top swimming pool! Sweet! Imagine the views from that swimming pool! This project will be close to 200 feet tall (13 Ft per floor x 14 Floors = 182 Ft) when you take into account the unusually high ceilings.

I just realized how ugly this building is.

I mean, I'm glad it has a lot of glass, some raised surfaces, an articulated corner and everything--but damn. This joker is going to look UG-LY in about ten years. It already almost looks like the headquarters of an early 1980s Textbook Publishing and Insurance Firm in Sao Paolo, or maybe Manila.

I think I'll be seeing ya'll in the Stahlman. Word!

The description on the website sounds wonderful. 12 Ft ceilings throughout and a roof top swimming pool! Sweet! Imagine the views from that swimming pool! This project will be close to 200 feet tall (13 Ft per floor x 14 Floors = 182 Ft) when you take into account the unusually high ceilings.

I would say 14 feet per floor so making it closer to 196 feet. Also, it's deceiving with the roof top swimming pool. I met the developers a couple of weeks ago and the pool is actually going to be located on the 5th floor or so on the 12th ave street side. You can actually see it in the rendering.

Hey New Towner,

We agree!! I think we're the only ones here who didn't like the look of the Terrazo, but I'm with you on this one... it IS ugly. And I didn't much care for the Adelicia either... but everyone else seems to love it.

The Terrazo looks like it belongs in Charlotte and Adelica has a very strong Dallas vibe going on. However, I welcome both to town. Look at some of the 1980's buildings that at one time or another were modern and stylish, then out-of-date and tacky and now knocking on the door of being somewhat classic. Maybe that will be the case here. All I can say is that it takes all kinds of people to make this world go 'round - who is to say that buildings are any different?

Let's see. Have a nice dinner at Mirror on 12South. Have a nice dessert and coffee at Frothy, or a stop at the wine bar on 12th. Upon leaving, you discover your car won't start. No one is home when you call for help. You're scheduledto meet friends at the Watermark bar. You have to walk the mile and a half or so north on 12th Avenue to the Gulch. As the Terrazzo gets closer and closer, it suddenly becomes the most beautiful building in the world. "Run, Forrest, Run."

Let's see. Have a nice dinner at Mirror on 12South. Have a nice dessert and coffee at Frothy, or a stop at the wine bar on 12th. Upon leaving, you discover your car won't start. No one is home when you call for help. You're scheduledto meet friends at the Watermark bar. You have to walk the mile and a half or so north on 12th Avenue to the Gulch. As the Terrazzo gets closer and closer, it suddenly becomes the most beautiful building in the world. "Run, Forrest, Run."

:rofl: You have the most amazing way of looking at things!

I like the design of the Terrazzo a lot. I guess it's the color of the glass. But I'll have to wait and see what color the glass turns out to be. I can, however, see how the concrete balconies could turn out looking bad.

On the other hand, I love the Adelicia. I don't know why, it's just a pretty building. Again, probably has to do with the color of the glass, but also the shape is nice, and I like the size. It's long, skinny, and relatively tall, which is good. I also like the rounded corner, which is a nice touch.

I just realized how ugly this building is.

I completely agree with NT (as usual)...

I think this building is trying to make a statement, but I don't think it knows which statement it wants to make. While certain elements are good (e.g., the glass), IMO it's over-designed and there's way too much going on here.

It's a shame, because this was a perfect opportunity to set a high standard for an area in its early stages of development. Something like this new mid-rise in Kansas City would have helped...

http://www.4646broadway.com/index.html

I guess this must be a matter of taste then , because I think that the building in Kansas is nondescript and ugly. So for every person here you are going to have personal likes and dislikes. Some of the ultra modern stuff simply does not fit here and I would even say that about Mercury View. That is one of the ugliest buildings in town but I guess it is functional for the people living there. But again that is my opionion and what I like or dislike doesnt matter to any one but me. There are traditionalist and modernist and then those that are in the middle. I am not sure where I am, but I know what I like and dislike. If you dont like the building then dont move in. The same goes for homes as well. There are a lot of ugly homes around and then there are people that love them simply because they are different.

I guess this must be a matter of taste then , because I think that the building in Kansas is nondescript and ugly. So for every person here you are going to have personal likes and dislikes.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I agree with you, Ron, that I don't care much for the Kansas City project. while it's obvious that others think it sets a high standard. As I said earlier, I like the Terrazzo project a lot, and would pick it over the Kansas City project any day of the week.

Ditto. I think a different example might be needed here. The KC building does nothing at the street and looks like a dorm. I personally like the Terrazzo building. It looks like we'll be fortunate enough to have a mix of projects in hopefully the same manner as the Gulch itself. It's always been a mixed bag of use and function. With a good mix, we might each have a couple we like. The Mercury is solidly unusual, but I like the industrial look. The last thing I want to see happen to the Gulch is to turn it into a Seaside, all clean and pristine. That would just stink. If a marriage between the old industrial/transporation/manufacturing buildings and some sleek, non-suburban-looking structures could succeed and keep the urban fabric and do so harmoniously with the newly "gritrified" trends I think we'd end up with an urbanscape we'd all the proud of. I just hope it ends up very dense and there's not a Chili's in sight. I'd be a happy man.

I tend to look at things as sums of many parts, and I think the Gulch will eventually add up to quite a place.

Here are some photos of the grit that I took on my walk to work today. The Gulch is sure coming along nicely.

gulch2.jpg

gulch1.jpg

gulch3.jpg

Speaking of industrial, Marathon Village and the Neuhoff Complex seem to be quiet for sometime now. Has anyone heard of anything on these projects?

I know the Jazz school has been successful in the Neuhoff and they built a greenroof, but I have not heard much else. It is such a cool site. I hope their vision is realized someday.

As for Marathon Village, the last I heard was that it was in violation of buildings codes or something related to building permits.

Any news would be great.

Archived