PROPOSED: Prairie Avenue Revitalization

Medical district plans Prairie Ave. expansion. City and state officials gather on the site today to announce the revitalization project. [ProJo.com]

The development will begin at the corner of Prairie Avenue and Public Street and will expand from there, blending into neighborhoods that include homes, the Community College of Rhode Island's Providence campus, the MET School, the Rhode Island Hospital complex and a planned $40-million community health centerand commercial and retail complex at the former Federated Lithographers site.

A news conference is being held on this project today.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this will help crime in the area (more eyes on the street). Prairie and Public has one of the highest violent crime rates in the city.

I hope so too. However, plans like this need to be well considered...and well funded. Let's see where it goes.

Follow-up article to yesterday's press conference on the Prairie Avenue revitalization plan.

Rebuilding effort targets South Providence. The $40-million Providence Community Health Center project is expected to serve as a launching pad for neighboring redevelopment. [ProJo.com]

This all sounds very good to me. Affordable housing, neighborhood retail, minority construction contracts, green design... Done right, this could really be a model for how Providence should invest in it's neighborhoods.

Follow-up article to yesterday's press conference on the Prairie Avenue revitalization plan.

Rebuilding effort targets South Providence. The $40-million Providence Community Health Center project is expected to serve as a launching pad for neighboring redevelopment. [ProJo.com]

This all sounds very good to me. Affordable housing, neighborhood retail, minority construction contracts, green design... Done right, this could really be a model for how Providence should invest in it's neighborhoods.

This is great. I liked the part about promoting homeownership in the neighborhood. They need to help out by educating first-time buyers about smart investing. There was an article on the Sunday Journal front page about Foreclosures and Rhode Island. I didn't read it, because I read an article about it in the Herald in December. Its the Adjustable Rate Mortgages... your lender didn't tell you but they go up!

60% of the neighborhood lives in rental housing. This has to be reversed for the project to succeed. Slumlords need to be exploited. Otherwise its gonna stay Halloween every night down there. :unsure:

They need to help out by educating first-time buyers about smart investing.

Hopefully Rhode Island Housing will be involved. I sat through a home buying seminar with them a few months ago and it was very informative. They do what they can to get you an affordable mortgage, but they will flat out tell you if you can't afford a mortgage and counsel you on what to do to be able to afford one.

ProJo.com is having one of their Talk Back pieces on South Providence development. Click the "View Results" button to read.

About as intellectually stimulating as the feedback segment at the end of "Caught in Providence."

:wacko:Send the gangsters to Pawtucket and the drug dealers to West Warwick and the south side will shine! :rolleyes:

Hey, WW already has enough drug dealers thank you very much...

Supply and Demand. Can't wait to see Royal Mills come alive on Providence St.

Gentrification positively transforms communities. When the demand dies, the peddlers will leave to find the market elsewhere. Thats when these projects work and everything really starts to shine!

Archived