Shreveport City Profile

• 3 months later...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone read the recent article in SB magazine regarding Shreveport residents moving back home and finding their old hometime has undergone a stunning transformation? It's a pretty nice read... if you have a chance, check it out.

Edited by Metlife

It's a little slow today at work, so I thought I'd check out some demographics of SBC using our hi-tech demographics software - GeoVue's iSite. I was surprised to see that Shreveport's population has been estimated highly in 2005 from 2000, even after a decrease from the previous 10 years... and projected to be at nearly 250,000 in just 10 years!! Of course Bossier is showing steady growth also. The numbers are encouraging, and maybe Shreveport's not doing so poorly (population wise) after all!!

Here is the 6-pg demo report:

354304199_10175046fe_b.jpg

354304200_762b264fbd_b.jpg

354304202_671b6b588a_b.jpg

354304204_18b281390a_b.jpg

354304205_287d4d5b25_b.jpg

354304208_a0011714a2_b.jpg

This looks good, except for a couple of important things:

One problem I see is that this has Bossier City at 61,000 in 10 years, but Bossier City has already reached, and possibly surpassed, 61,000 according to the most recent Census estimates. I'm going to be more realistic than the demographics software and put Shreveport in 10 years at 180,000-200,000, showing either a drop or stagnation in growth and Bossier City at 70,000-75,000, showing continued steady growth. Both of these appear to be the current trend, and I don't see these trends changing for at least a decade.

• 1 year later...

Bossier City named best place in Louisiana to raise a family

Bring the kids: A BusinessWeek report on the best cities to raise a family put Bossier City at the top of the list for Louisiana. The city's mild weather, restaurants, tourism industry and proximity to Shreveport make it a good place to raise children, the magazine says. Lafayette and Monroe were runner-up cities in Louisiana. Business Week looked at several factors in determining the list, including school performance, affordability, safety and quality of life. To read the full report....

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

http://www.businessweek.com/investor/conte...8117_238652.htm

Edited by richyb83

Bossier City named best place in Louisiana to raise a family

Bring the kids: A BusinessWeek report on the best cities to raise a family put Bossier City at the top of the list for Louisiana. The city's mild weather, restaurants, tourism industry and proximity to Shreveport make it a good place to raise children, the magazine says. Lafayette and Monroe were runner-up cities in Louisiana. Business Week looked at several factors in determining the list, including school performance, affordability, safety and quality of life. To read the full report....

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

http://www.businessweek.com/investor/conte...8117_238652.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Looking right now, I see for the next two months, the following acts (mostly musical) are scheduled for Shreveport and Bossier City:

December

Casting Crowns

Denver and the Mile High Orchestra

Ronnie Milsap

Blue October

Sunny Sweeney

John Michael Montgomery

B. Reith

Family Force 5

Relient K

TobyMac

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Cheap Trick

Carlos Mencia

Adam Dale

Forever Like Red

Her Sweet Autumn Misery

January

Rodney Carrington <-- I already have tickets to this one

Brad Paisley

Darius Rucker

Dierks Bentley

Gary Allan

Cheech & Chong <-- I'm REALLY looking forward to this one!!

The Gatlin Brothers

Loretta Lynn

Nickelback

Saving Abel

Seether

Squint

Asteria

Callahan

The Gourds

Peppino D'Agostino

I'd say that's not a bad list for December and January! :)

• 6 months later...

It is with great regret that I say goodbye to General Motors Shreveport. At some point between today and June 2012, the plant will be closing.

So goodbye, GM Shreveport. While I completely disagree with the way you have bent over and taken it hard from the worthless United Auto Workers union over the years, I understand that you have provided a lot of decent-paying jobs to people in the Shreveport-Bossier region for many years now. But all good things must come to an end, and with this end I only hope that Shreveport-Bossier will not be cast into a repeat of the 1980s economic crisis where thousands upon thousands of local residents ran as fast as they could to get the hell out of this area and find work.

Hopefully we can make something positive of this and begin a new era of growth and prosperity in Shreveport-Bossier rather than have a repeat of the unholy hell we went through in the 1980s.

Oh and one final thought: UP YOURS, "Government Motors"!

Edited by SBCmetroguy