vote YES for Grand Rapids

If you do a web search on "urban travel" you'll eventually find a blog called Gridskipper-the Urban Travel guide. Much to my dismay, Grand Rapids was not listed as one of the world travel destinations on the site. After trading a couple of emails with the editor of Gridskipper, he's agreed to run an online poll with the readers of the blog. If readers vote yes, he'll write an introductory piece about Grand Rapids on Gridskipper and pay more attention to our neck of the woods.

Your mission, if you agree to accept it, is to go to Gridskipper and stuff the ballot box. Tell two friends and have them tell two friends to go there and vote yes for GR.

A word of caution: While Gridskipper usually sticks to great architecture, primo eateries and fancy hotels, it often talks about some racy and salacious topics (this is a blog after all). Some links to other blogs can be hazardous, so remember to practice safe surfing.

Here's the direct link to the voting page

GRD3 was kind enough to lend a picture for the submission and GRNow gets a shout out on the post... thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do a web search on "urban travel" you'll eventually find a blog called Gridskipper-the Urban Travel guide. Much to my dismay, Grand Rapids was not listed as one of the world travel destinations on the site. After trading a couple of emails with the editor of Gridskipper, he's agreed to run an online poll with the readers of the blog. If readers vote yes, he'll write an introductory piece about Grand Rapids on Gridskipper and pay more attention to our neck of the woods.

Your mission, if you agree to accept it, is to go to Gridskipper and stuff the ballot box. Tell two friends and have them tell two friends to go there and vote yes for GR.

A word of caution: While Gridskipper usually sticks to great architecture, primo eateries and fancy hotels, it often talks about some racy and salacious topics (this is a blog after all). Some links to other blogs can be hazardous, so remember to practice safe surfing.

Here's the direct link to the voting page

GRD3 was kind enough to lend a picture for the submission and GRNow gets a shout out on the post... thanks!

Good find jayblogger. I can't believe somebody already voted 'no' in the poll, though. (thx for the shout out btw ;) )

There seems to be a bit of jealousy from non-Grand Rapidians, regarding Grand Rapids. Check out this thread, particularly the posts from Sulley, to see what I mean.

well... I guess Sulley will have to go build his own JW Marriott hotel with a big, big sandbox so he can play in it all by himself :D

by the way, I hope I didn't scare anyone away from looking at the voting page:

http://www.gridskipper.com/travel/grand-ra...pids-158651.php

the above link to the voting page should be safe for all ages and viewing areas.

Sulley is the type of guy who picks on everyone because everyone picked on him when he was young... He was abused as a child and was the object of ridicule on the play ground. The city of Buffalo once evicted him because of his outward appearnce and random acts of cruelty on strangers. I can sometimes identify with the man, I love him.

By the way I voted for Grand Rapids. GR all the way.

Jay, the voting is now 26 to 2 in favor of GR. Don't you think this guy is gonna know what's happening? We should make it closer so we it isn't so obvious.

it's now 27 to 2 :D

Chris (the Gridskipper editor) knows I'm promoting this contest here at UPGR, so I think a landslide vote is just what we need.

Yeah, I now feel much safer about that scooter I want.

"Biker bash

Motorcyclists in South Carolina aren't required to wear helmets, but they might be well-advised to wear one if they plan to ride in the Lowcountry, according to a new report.

The Progressive Group of Insurance Cos., the nation's biggest insurer of motorcycles, says the Charleston-North Charleston metropolitan area is the 13th-likeliest place in the United States to crash a motorcycle. That puts the local area just ahead of the much larger Washington, D.C., and Houston metro areas.

Taking the top spot nationally was the New York City area, followed by the Norfolk-Virginia Beach area of Virginia. The least likely place to be in a motorcycle crash was Bakersfield, Calif.

If it's any consolation, your chances of having your motorcycle stolen here are only a little above average: The local area ranked 43rd out of the 89 metro areas in the report. The top spot was Honolulu, where the odds of having your bike ripped off were more than four times the national average. Motorcycle theft was least likely in Grand Rapids, Mich."

http://www.charleston.net/stories

Yeah, I now feel much safer about that scooter I want.

"Biker bash

Motorcyclists in South Carolina aren't required to wear helmets, but they might be well-advised to wear one if they plan to ride in the Lowcountry, according to a new report.

The Progressive Group of Insurance Cos., the nation's biggest insurer of motorcycles, says the Charleston-North Charleston metropolitan area is the 13th-likeliest place in the United States to crash a motorcycle. That puts the local area just ahead of the much larger Washington, D.C., and Houston metro areas.

Taking the top spot nationally was the New York City area, followed by the Norfolk-Virginia Beach area of Virginia. The least likely place to be in a motorcycle crash was Bakersfield, Calif.

If it's any consolation, your chances of having your motorcycle stolen here are only a little above average: The local area ranked 43rd out of the 89 metro areas in the report. The top spot was Honolulu, where the odds of having your bike ripped off were more than four times the national average. Motorcycle theft was least likely in Grand Rapids, Mich."

http://www.charleston.net/stories

tripG: if you need insurance for that scooter, i heard a rumor that FOREMOST INSURANCE sells that kind of stuff :D sorry, I can't get you a deal

the vote is now 55 to 4! wowzer.

... hey that text wasn't bold enough... Neo!!! sort it out ;)

well... I guess Sulley will have to go build his own JW Marriott hotel with a big, big sandbox so he can play in it all by himself :D

Sully just likes getting people's dander up because they get so defensive when it comes to their hometown. As far as his dislike for Marriott, he works for Starwood, so it's a competitor thing. :P

by the way, I hope I didn't scare anyone away from looking at the voting page:

http://www.gridskipper.com/travel/grand-ra...pids-158651.php

the above link to the voting page should be safe for all ages and viewing areas.

So the vote is 103-11 which is definitely a landslide. When does this site make the decision to include Grand Rapids?

Read the comments.

Grand Rapids kind of sounds like a less-dirty version of Detroit
I am flattered or offended? :lol:

My initial thought: Bob Sullivan???

the vote is now:

Yes - 89.9% (107 votes)

No - 10.1% (12 votes)

I'll email Chris and find out when he'll declare us victorious. Don't forget to check out the weekly photo contest at Gridskipper. It would great if some cool Grand Rapids pix get into that contest eventually...

Archived