Guess that building?

dimebag1980

Who can guess what building this is from only this Google satellite photo? The only hint I will give is that it's a public venue somewhere in the state of Louisiana.

8166.gif

Once the building is correctly named, feel free to add your own building to the mix. It doesn't have to be a satellite photo, but make it hard to guess.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, you guys got it easily. I actually figured you'd have a little trouble with it.

But you're correct, it IS CenturyTel Center.

You've been to a couple of Battlewings games there, eh, Nate? That's pretty cool... and you're one-up on me. I've only been to one, and that was in their first season. :D

You've been to a couple of Battlewings games there, eh, Nate? That's pretty cool... and you're one-up on me. I've only been to one, and that was in their first season. :D

Haha, my experiences at the game's were great. The fans, as well as the game, were alot of fun. :D

It's obviously in New Orleans , no other city inLouisiana has anything that impressive . I would be cheating if I looked on the Emporis website , so I'm going to have to guess, not too sure....the Entergy Tower ? Or the Dominion Tower ?

Baton Rouge lacks a nicer skyline due to New Orleans close proximity ?

It would have been nice if New Orleans could have donated a nice high-rise or two ? years ago . ha

Cities similar in size to BR , like Little Rock and Des Moines Iowa have nicer skylines because they are easily their State's largest cities ; w/o a major metro-area like NOLA, so big companies were able to focus on them . In the past NOLA drained BR dry of some-high rises.

It's the Bank One Center, the forgettable building that replaced the magnificent St. Charles Hotel. Of course, the hotel wasn't demolished for this building. The lot was vacant for quite a few years before this was built. /rant

• 10 months later...

^ I believe LaThunder was out of town when it was posted on BR Growth & Development thread. Back on Jan 2nd post #250 with my pic taken from R.R. Overpass; and posted by bluff2085 on Jan 18th, post#981.

The details for the hotel will be in mid-Febuary according to the article last post. Great news that the major eye-sore Saigon Hilton will be transformed . Bluebonnet is becoming a very impressive corridor. And some density moving into the suburbs..becoming city-like?? BR is almost like one giant suburb.

Living in Baton Rouge all of my life I really did not know any better. But even larger Houston has more suburban elements than NOLA?? Huh Nate?? Not many cities are dense urban like NOLA at such a high %percentage.

I know what suburban means for the most part. I wish you and I could drive around parts of BR. You could give me your feedback on the "urban" and suburban areas of the city.

Growing up in the middle of one of densest cities in the nation, I just became an "urban" guy. That's why it is extremely weird for me to be living out in the suburbs right now, and it is just not my thing!

Though I agree with you, Richy, metro Houston definately is a much more srawling and suburban place than Baton Rouge, as is Atlanta. Though all three have serious sprawl and traffic problems.

As for Baton Rouge itself, I really like spending time in parts of the city near the river, as the original area of the city has a much more "urban" feel to it, all the way from LSU up past the Capitol. You can also find some great restaurants and clubs in this area, and all of the college kids draw me to the area. Some of the neighborhoods around this area in "College Town" are also very nice, along with neighborhoods like Spanish Town around downtown. Apart from those area's however, most everything isn't really "for me." Parts of the outer-reaches of Baton Rouge are quite impressive, especially when coming in on I-12/I-10. But at this point in my life, I like being able to just walk to wherever I want to be, or just take some form of mass transit if it's out of walking distance. I'm sure when I get older and want to focus on family life, the suburbs will look much more appealing to me, but right now, the city is where I want to be. I hope all of that makes sense. :thumbsup:

^ I know what you mean. One time all I wanted was an Icee and a Snicker's bar, but the nearest convenience store is a mile away and across a major street,so much for that. -_- It funny to think though that 90 years ago the Garden District was the far outskirts of town. :lol:

Thanks for the commentary Nate. It makes sense to me, I know what you mean. :thumbsup: You know I'm constantly giving props to NOLA and it's "urban"; "city" feel, etc. As thick as it gets....compact continous grid. Great street-car system. Like you said some old more established neighborhoods in Baton Rouge have a great feel; esp. the one Dan mentions, the Garden District ; and the ones you mentioned CollegeTown, Old Goodwood, etc. Huge old Oak trees as green and dense as it gets anywhere in BR.

But that street grid in BR is virtually cut in 1/2. NOLA was HUGE back in 1930's when BR was barely a blip on the map where 19th Street was the edge of the city limits. As it stands now not many cities BR's size have 4 HUGE chunks of undeveloped land in the(near) geographic middle. 1 will NEVER be developed...The 460 acre LSU Rural Life Museum/Ollie Burden Steel Plantation off Essen and I-10 that continues to the split. And that's O.K. bec. it(all those trees/forest)acts as BR's filter system with the Miss.River Industrial Corridor to the south of the city; but it hurts the north/south traffic flow.

One of the open areas you may be aware of right in the middle of the city; Cedar Lodge horse ranch at Jefferson Hwy. at Corporate looks like it sold about 1/2 it's land and it's been filling up with upscale Towne Center/Office Park; Hotel; Condo's; etc. The other 2 Ford Pature will be a 120-150 acre infil- TND; and Smiley Estates will be a 200+ infil TND. But all that still is not stopping the sprawl.

I think Atlanta's sprawl is about the worst I have ever seen ! The Metro area has over 5 mil. yet the city proper has 425,000??

Archived