NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tower will go at Caldwell and Stonewall on the west side. So it will definitely be on the side of the Hall of Fame.

The city will also sell/give an option to Nascar for the land across the street next to the Garden Inn, so that they can buy or flip it when the area gains value with the Hall of Fame.

There was a rendering displaying in the presentation to City Council, but I'm sure it'll be online tomorrow.

They haven't really set anything in stone, as I believe they are still negotiating with a developer.

The rendering shown at the council meeting is about 1/3 taller than the Hilton Garden Inn (14-16 short hotel floors tall). The other render breaks down like this:

- Roughly 2 story tall base (part of the base of the Hall of Fame)

- 13 stories in the glass section

- 1 or more stories in the solid section at the top.

I don't know if you can consider that 16 stories, but it is at least 14 tall stories.

In the hall of fame thread, I also posted this other rendering which doesn't appear to be online yet. It shows more detail than the now ubiquitous image from MLK and Brevard.

It was shown to the City Council this evening.

108944998_ddbf0fb710_o.jpg

It more clearly shows how they will blend it into the Hall of Fame building.

"The deal also gives NASCAR a six-month option to commit to building a 300,000-square-foot office building as part of the Hall of Fame development, under a 99-year lease that would cost NASCAR $1 a year. The project also is to include a new $43 million ballroom for the adjacent Charlotte Convention Center."

Hang on, does this mean we're building them an office building as well, with a collective lease payment of a whopping 99$??????

I don't think the tower is part of the city's financial package. This quote is from one of the many articles about the HOF on nascar.com:

"NASCAR has the option to build an office building on the Hall of Fame site, for which the City of Charlotte bears no financial responsibility. Instead, NASCAR would be required to foot the bill for the office building."

If I'm reading all this correctly, the $1/year is for the land that the HOF will occupy. The renderings of the HOF with the tower added are all part of the same block, so the $1 lease would be the same deal with or without the office building. Or is there more land included that I'm not seeing here?

Well, I think it was already cleared up, but just to add to it, there is no new land now available for the tower. It is using the same land as was already part of the Hall proposal, basically just being efficient with land opened up by putting an oval building on a rectangular site.

Most of the increase in the total package for Nascar is recalculating the cost of the hall due to construction costs. It will still all be covered by the tourism industry taxes, which will reap the largest return from this investment.

The $4m parking lot is the city contribution to the tower, but it will basically be a lot that will be shared with the Convention Center.

Similarly to what you said, they puting a round peg in a bigger square hole hehe, you still got plenty of space around,

So I think thats exactly what that portion of the building is, a parking deck

I like how they squared the back end, makes it a lil more nascar, the old render looked more like a spaceship, like something for Nasa hehe, missing a C and an R folks. I was always very fond of the buliding but I never felt it fit the feel of nascar, this helps out a lil especially with the nascar tower, that way you have no excuse to not be able to find the hall of fame, you can just tell your friends, look for the big nascar buildin'

I'm not a NASCAR fan and really was hoping Atlanta would "win," but now that the deal is done, I'll support it. One last thing before I get on board. I wish that they would build the office tower that is connected to the Westin and use that for NASCAR offices. Two reasons why: I think the Westin would look even better with the other building next to it and, the additional office building on the HOF site really takes away from Pei's original design. As a fan of the arts more than racing, I was at least happy that the HOF itself was designed by Pei et al. Let's hope that the renderings we have seen are preliminary and they are able to reverse this disturbing trend.

On a lighter note, I guess if one were really disheartened by the announcement today, he could look forward to 2038 when the contract expires. Maybe NASCAR will head to Kansas City, leaving us with a beautiful building in which we can house the people still waiting to move into The Park.

(Edit) Just saw a cleaner rendering of the new office buiilding, and it helps alot IMO.

could there be a possible HQ move for NASCAR from Daytona to Charlotte?

Officially, no. But some people on UP are saying that it is being considered on the inside. My guess is that it is years and years away, but certainly we have set the stage.

From my perspective, though, there clear is at least the possibility that Nascar will need more space, otherwise why would they be buying an option on the land across Caldwell.

So what can we say for materials, Concrete Glass, and Aluminum. or what?

I really hope they use stone of some sort for the non-metal, non-glass sections. With concrete so high in price, the relative price of stone is surely a good deal, and it definitely will add to the quality of the building and appearance. I kind of think because it shows a yellowish tint that it won't really be concrete, but who knows.

I don't like the rendering for the new "tower". For starters, it doesn't look like a tower. Just a standard office building. I also hate the logo on the building. It goes against my personal aesthetic. I do like the streamlined look of the building, but the logo is too busy. I guess it you want people to know NASCAR is there, that's the way. :)

Archived