NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

1 minute ago, archiham04 said:

Did anyone read the article about this building taking it to task for the horrible street presence on Stonewall... was expecting that discussion when I saw the thread bumped.

I did see it. It was a good article. The writers office faces stonewall and apparently it had irked him for a long time. I can understand the issues with the convention center, and then its not somenthing that can be fixed, but when the Nascar Hall of Fame designs went public, this board went nuts complaining about the stonewall treatment. 

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, JBS said:

^^

Saw it also.  It's a nice building with a large public plaza but they obviously did not anticipate what Stonewall would become.  It falls more in the "unfortunate" than "unforgivable" category for me...

No I find it 100% unforgivable. The city made a very big investment creating the land that has been the catalyst for Stonewall's redevelopment, and the proceeds of that investment were earmarked for Nascar Hall of Fame. They knew the development was coming, it had IMMEDIATE interest but the recession hit, there was no excuse not to put flex space there to be converted to retail at a later date. Stonewall Station and Northwood Ravin wouldn't even be happening if it weren't for the reconfiguring of the 277 ramps. Below is what it looked like before.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 10.27.15 AM.png

2 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Why didn't they address the other side of 277?

1-18-2017 12-47-31 PM.png

I think its logistically more difficult to reconfigure that side. And actually if you look at them... they did change them. You could maybe develop that space there. Its a pretty big parcel. 

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

No I find it 100% unforgivable. The city made a very big investment creating the land that has been the catalyst for Stonewall's redevelopment, and the proceeds of that investment were earmarked for Nascar Hall of Fame. They knew the development was coming, it had IMMEDIATE interest but the recession hit, there was no excuse not to put flex space there to be converted to retail at a later date. Stonewall Station and Northwood Ravin wouldn't even be happening if it weren't for the reconfiguring of the 277 ramps. Below is what it looked like before.

Good points.  My view is that the building design overall is not egregious but I understand that others (you included) disagree.  BTW, I ran by the Stonewall side of the building today (this weather is awesome!) and they could improve the street presence significantly simply by removing the advertising and tarps blocking the large windows.  The corner has the mini-plaza and the fountains though and the other side is much more pedestrian friendly.  Too bad they didn't have the lesser side facing the notorious Embassy Suites project...

Archived