NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a lively and very enjoyable discussion about lighting the NASCAR complex:)

I think we all agree that lighting must not be overlooked here. And we don't want just any lighting~~we want something unique and fun.

To build this project with no decorative lighting, or uninteresting lighting, would be a real shame. Here is the golden opportunity to lift Uptown out of it's somewhat staid atmosphere. Done well, this could be the birth of a colorful and lively looking center city!

Here are some images from the public meeting.

Note that the box just north of the bridge on Brevard is where the Nascar Cafe and the Nascar Store are. That means there is a block with retail on Brevard, and the cafe will have sidewalk seating.

322575505_d19b32ecc2.jpg

Note the new section added to Stonewall. It is the studios for Nascar. They will include video monitors for the sidewalk to view what is currently being produced. There is also the good old ads and busy-ness we all expected of Nascar.

322570786_0caa5d8e69.jpg

322575470_892aed3a76_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some new renderings at the HoF groundbreaking today:

nascarplaza.jpg

New%20tower%20image%20_03.jpg

And this is the floorplan which better shows how the sides are curved and the ends are angled.

NASCAR%20OFFICEPLANS.jpg

Acording to the Lauth brochure:

- Will be LEED Certified

- Lobby will have "dimensional granite"

- Exterior skin is tinted glass and granite panels

- Scheduled completion is March 2009

Thanks for the renderings UL. I'm liking the Caldwell side much more after these pics. The "band" appears much more visible then it did in the previous renderings, and the tower looks alot more glassy, and transparant.

A big thumbs up on the LEED cert. too. Now if we can just get them to get rid of that friggin walkway over Brevard.

Some new renderings at the HoF groundbreaking today:

nascarplaza.jpg

New%20tower%20image%20_03.jpg

And this is the floorplan which better shows how the sides are curved and the ends are angled.

NASCAR%20OFFICEPLANS.jpg

Acording to the Lauth brochure:

- Will be LEED Certified

- Lobby will have "dimensional granite"

- Exterior skin is tinted glass and granite panels

- Scheduled completion is March 2009

Thanks for posting this, I wasn't able to get out there yesterday. I still think the building is plain, but not terrible. In my mind, LEEDness makes up for a multitude of blandness.

I am happy it is transparent glass. That does give it some similarity with the other two LEED buildings going up uptown.

Also, I don't believe we should consider Nascar any more ironic than the fact they'd be built in this state or country at all. We're all pretty wasteful in the scheme of things. However, it is great news that they will do this. It simply means they will be utilizing the sustainable designs and materials that are easily available. Not doing LEED is starting to just be blatantly wasteful.

That rendering looks better than past ones have. I especially like how they engraved the logo, hopefully it stays that way and doesn't get any color.

I believe a little color would do uptown some good. It would certainly help the sterile look IMO.

^I agree, Neo. I think the NASCAR logo should have stayed in Color on top of the building. One cool idea could be for them to keep the recessed wordmark and illuminate it in color at night. Still, it would stay bland in daylight.

Who designed the building? The photos all say "Lauth", but I was under the impression that PCF had done it. BTW, if you haven't been to the Lauth website, you haven't missed anything. If this is a design of theirs, it's the most innovative structure the firm has EVER designed. All of their stuff looks like one of the non-descript suburban office buildings in Ballantyne and Coliseum Centre.

oh, I thought that was a very cool design element, having the NASCAR logo engraved... again, maybe this is an opportunity to do something cool with lighting, at night. The engraved logo could be lined with fiber optic, which would change color, or move, or something fun.

I am very impressed by that new rendering, I feel like the tower looks much less like a "suburban hotel" than we thought it did from the first renderings. I also like the incorporation of water features at the plaza level.

Who designed the building? The photos all say "Lauth", but I was under the impression that PCF had done it. BTW, if you haven't been to the Lauth website, you haven't missed anything. If this is a design of theirs, it's the most innovative structure the firm has EVER designed. All of their stuff looks like one of the non-descript suburban office buildings in Ballantyne and Coliseum Centre.

Lauth Property Group is the developer of this building. The architects are listed as Pei Cobb Freed & Partners and LS3P.

i like the engraved nascar logo. i also am eating a small portion of crow - after seeing this new rendering of the tower. i hadn't written it off completely, b/c of my expectations from PCF.... but, i was negatively critical of it. this new rendering has put my mind @ ease... i love the water feature, the new logo, and you can really see the details in the building now. i think in person these details are going to be even more eye catching. the curviture of the glass and the way in slants outwards on ends of the building is really nice. it looks like they will be using some type of rock for the other surface... the water fountain really opens up that corner of the block. i think this is a really good compromise between a great architecture firm and the funds to work with....

also, UP should get a little pat on the back for it's constructive criticism.... ;)

Archived