NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^ The fountains were on today! You can't see from that picture, but there is a shallow pool on the corner of Stonewall and Caldwell with jet fountains (about 12 of them I bet). The shallow pool wraps around the corner of the building, and follows the sidewalk on Caldwell, under the entrance to the tower and to the part of the building where the metallic band starts.

The NASCAR sign at the top of the building is also lit up at night; just noticed that last night. I just wish it were in color.

Yea, I don't quite get that thing. It's black and white at night, and pretty much goes away during the day. Is it done?

I dont like how the sineage looks doing the day, but a night, it is a nice crisp look. It is also very readable at night. It seems to be cut-out letters that are backlit. I think NASCAR wanted to make it simple to just catch your eye in anticipation for the pizazz that will come up when you get closer to the Hall.

Does anyone know if they're going to do the "twisted ribbon" on the front side of the HoF? The way they're installing the exterior, it looks like that has been abandoned.

Since no revised plans have been submitted and the fact that the twisted ribbon on the front of the hall of fame is very important to getting natural light into the main part of the hall of fame, I don't think it has been taken out. The twisting motion doesn't cost anymore so it shouldn't be omitted. However I do not get to see the front very often so I cannot actually be a judge, but it seems to me they would not cheap out on the most important part of the aesthetics of the building.

Didn't have my camera but if any shutter bugs can get by the Hall of Fame the ribbon steel is in place where it flips. It's actually pretty cool how they structurally pulled this off.

Thanks. I'm certain I'll be shooting uptown at some point over my long weekend.

IMG_1119.jpg

I think the vertical sign at the corner should be a bit more prominent. Perhaps the NASCAR logo, instead of being narrowly placed at the top of the sign, should run vertically along the entire length and be lighted with the actual NASCAR colors in the logo.

Great photos! did you get around to MLK st to get a picture of the ribbon twisting?

I completely forgot, I seem to remember there being a lot of construction material along the sidewalk, so we avoided that section so we could walk the pup off the street. I'll try to make it that way later this week.

Archived