NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the ribbon's skeleton like it is there, I get the image in my mind of an kamikaze airplane doing a 360 on its way into the target.

I walked past the fountain at this building yesterday and saw the security guard already lecturing some skaters to leave. I know a few [older] posters here have a thing against skaters, but to me, they've already protected the valuable materials by putting those protects all along the low fountain wall, so why not let them be the pioneers of activity in this otherwise dead plaza.

And those window cases are the lamest excuses for sidewalk friendliness EVER. I thought the original plan was to have it be activated by lots of electronics. Now it will probably have ridiculous unchanging displays of cheap merchandise or posters like in the similar displays along MLK on the side of the One Wachovia where the Y has stapled up some t-shirts and stuff.

And those window cases are the lamest excuses for sidewalk friendliness EVER. I thought the original plan was to have it be activated by lots of electronics. Now it will probably have ridiculous unchanging displays of cheap merchandise or posters like in the similar displays along MLK on the side of the One Wachovia where the Y has stapled up some t-shirts and stuff.

I guess the lame window boxes are all the $32 million dollars in extras buys.... <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Campbell interviewed Marcus Smith on this morning's Flashpoint (WCNC's program on local politics, business,etc) who is the president and general manager of Charlotte Motor Speedway. He referred to the Nascar Hall of Fame tower as the Headquarters. Has Nascar announced it is moving its HQ from Daytona Beach to Charlotte? If so, that ought to be some significant news.

I believe what was originally stated somewhere, was that Nascar was moving there media studios, or something related to that into this building. I remember very clearly that someone stated that the HQ was NOT moving to Charlotte. (isnt that always the case?) Of course though, there has always been speculation that the HQ was gonna move, especially since Nascar purchased additional land for future development. It has been a long while, but I think that has been the situation up until now.

Apparently the developer of the office tower has filed a lawsuit against the city for the costs of the parking deck that adjoins the Nascar HOF. He is threatening foreclosure on the office tower portion. This sounds.... well..... very familiar.

I did not realize the tower was a private development not associated with the HOF. Is this true, or are they talking some other tower?

^Ahh OK so if this is nothing more than a 19 story office tower built in speculation, and which isn't tied to a massive move by Nascar into the tower, then it sounds as if the developers bet on the speculative office development in Charlotte isn't paying off and the bank that has the loan on the place is turning the thumb screws about it. Sounds like the 210 Trade/Epicenter toon. ...second verse, same as the first.... ref.

I suspect that if it comes to it, there will be a city backed bailout. They can't afford the image of yet another unnecessary tower failing downtown. Especially on a project as controversial as this one which has has costs that have spiraled out of control.

Actually, I was under the impression that Nascar was moving some operations into this tower... I believe it is their media arm and few other things... They aren't taking up the whole tower, just portions of it.

According to earlier information, they will be occupying 100,000 sf of the 390,000 sf, about 25%. I suspect there will be even more in the future.

Actually, I was under the impression that Nascar was moving some operations into this tower... I believe it is their media arm and few other things... They aren't taking up the whole tower, just portions of it.

I've looked for the article before posting this, but I can't find it. I believe you are correct that NASCAR will be taking portions of this building. I remember reading somewhere that a decent percentage of this tower is leased. If it does go into foreclosure, it shouldn't be hard to sell to someone who can continue to operate it. I think tenants start moving in within 30 days, so construction is all but finished. I would suspect if foreclosure occurs, it would be a non-issue for the tenants and community at large.

I've looked for the article before posting this, but I can't find it. I believe you are correct that NASCAR will be taking portions of this building. I remember reading somewhere that a decent percentage of this tower is leased. If it does go into foreclosure, it shouldn't be hard to sell to someone who can continue to operate it. I think tenants start moving in within 30 days, so construction is all but finished. I would suspect if foreclosure occurs, it would be a non-issue for the tenants and community at large.

This one is fairly old, but I don't think anything has changed much.

Archived