NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

^I am not sure what baseball has to do with this. If it is inefficient then fine, it's inefficient. However it sounds as if you are not familiar with what it takes to transport a racing team to a race. There are dozens of people who travel with these teams that take all their equipment, materials, usually RVs for sleeping and of course they also have to move the race cars themselves. Each team will take multiple racing cars. Nascar recognizes it is a problem which is why, specifically, they used a Toyota Prius as their chase car at the Charlotte race.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really kills me when you hear people talk about NASCAR being so environmentally hostile because they 'use gas to drive around in circles', or something along those lines.

How much jet fuel does it take to transport one baseball team across country? Multiply that by the number of teams flying times the number of games in different states. I would think the fuel NASCAR teams use on that one race per week would pale in comparison. But you never hear about that!

And, it really kills me to read about all the excitement on this board regarding a new runway or more flights. Airports and jets ARE some of the biggest contributors to pollution, not to mention degradation of natural landscape. I think part of the complaint about NASCAR being anti-environment has to do with the glorification of big, gas consuming engines that it spurns. As an example the muscle cars that have recently come out were targeted to the NASCAR crowd. As far as individual events, one only has to see the tremendous amount of fuel burned by the thousands of fans who drive around the country chasing the races.

It's not the actual cars driving around the track that environmentalists object to.

It really kills me when you hear people talk about NASCAR being so environmentally hostile because they 'use gas to drive around in circles', or something along those lines.

How much jet fuel does it take to transport one baseball team across country? Multiply that by the number of teams flying times the number of games in different states. I would think the fuel NASCAR teams use on that one race per week would pale in comparison. But you never hear about that!

I can't imagine that a 'green' sport exists. Even little league baseball is environmentally unfriendly. W/r/t baseball being more harmful than NASCAR since most (maybe all?) racing teams transport the crew in an airplane and require an amazing amount of transport trucks to move everything from one place to the next. Let's not forget about practicing they do when not racing and the huge following of very low mpg RV's that follow them around from one race to the next.

I would be curious to see an environmental impact study done on various sports. I honestly can't imagine there being anything worse than NASCAR. For them to call themselves any kind of green, even teal, is laughable. I would imagine the MLB is bright green in comparison.

And, it really kills me to read about all the excitement on this board regarding a new runway or more flights. Airports and jets ARE some of the biggest contributors to pollution, not to mention degradation of natural landscape. I think part of the complaint about NASCAR being anti-environment has to do with the glorification of big, gas consuming engines that it spurns. As an example the muscle cars that have recently come out were targeted to the NASCAR crowd. As far as individual events, one only has to see the tremendous amount of fuel burned by the thousands of fans who drive around the country chasing the races.

It's not the actual cars driving around the track that environmentalists object to.

Building a runway theoretically reduces consumption and pollution by reducing delays. More flights, yes, more fuel and pollution.

As far as the NASCAR argument, why is NASCAR to blame because they have a loyal following????? And what could they possibly do about it? What do we do, shut them down so their fans don't drive to the races? Again, using the baseball analogy, their fans don't drive to games? I know a lot of them don't if they live within a transit commute, but those are awful big parking lots and decks. And again, one Sprint Cup race with maybe average 130,000 vs. a dozen or so baseball games with 40-60,000 attendance each, and that's just on the weekend. What about during the week? Which do you think will have more impact?

And, yes, I'm sure Ford, Chrysler and GM spent millions of $$$ in development and manufacturing costs to market the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro to 'the NASCAR crowd'.

And what could they possibly do about it? .....

A quick check of their website indicates they are recognizing they can do something. They have started a tree planting program at a number of tracks, have started a number of recycling programs related to the tracks. Engine oil is a big issue they are dealing with in a responsible manner. They are also starting a program to help educate their customers on how to keep their cars maintained as to not waste fuel.

Your argument that nothing should be expected from them to lessen environmental impacts, because there are other polluters, i.e. your baseball analogy, doesn't seem to be something that Nascar believes in. I commend them for at least trying. If they call themselves green however, I would chalk that up to green washing. Running cars in a circle for hours at speeds close to 200mph at times, is simply not green. Each one of these vehicles will dump as much pollution into the air as a 1000 vehicles on Charlotte's streets.

BTW, this was in the context of that teaser for the program, as noted in my post, about CNBC's look at Nascar.

I think we should ban Target, so suburban moms will stop driving there every single day in their SUVs for crap that they don't need.

I'm kidding. Unfortunately, NASCAR relies on a commodity that is finite and a hot button issue. It's a good thing we're not building a HOF for whale hunting.

I really like the way the HOF has turned out in terms of a new building in the skyline. Interesting architecture set amid a couple other buildings that are really interestingn as well: Westin, African American Cultural Center, and the buildings in the Wachovia/Duke building campus. A two block drive up Stonewall and S. Tryon will be visually very interesting.

A quick check of their website indicates they are recognizing they can do something. They have started a tree planting program at a number of tracks, have started a number of recycling programs related to the tracks. Engine oil is a big issue they are dealing with in a responsible manner. They are also starting a program to help educate their customers on how to keep their cars maintained as to not waste fuel.

Your argument that nothing should be expected from them to lessen environmental impacts, because there are other polluters, i.e. your baseball analogy, doesn't seem to be something that Nascar believes in. I commend them for at least trying. If they call themselves green however, I would chalk that up to green washing. Running cars in a circle for hours at speeds close to 200mph at times, is simply not green. Each one of these vehicles will dump as much pollution into the air as a 1000 vehicles on Charlotte's streets.

BTW, this was in the context of that teaser for the program, as noted in my post, about CNBC's look at Nascar.

I agree, if there's something they can do, they should, as should any large, responsible organization. All I'm saying is that, yes, the sport is based on gasoline, they can't change that. I don't think they'll be racing electric cars any time soon. I just don't think its right to single them out because their consumption is likely less than other sports, but just more conspicuous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The office tower almost went into foreclosure, but ended up being sold at a substantial discount to a joint venture involving Trinity Partners (who also are owners of the Ally Bank Tower).

By buying it a discount, they are able to offer leases at a much lower rate. It appears that they have attracted 1 tenant already. Alcoa, the large Aluminum company, appears to be opening a small Charlotte office, which will be in the NASCAR tower.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I personally do not like the full color, but maybe just because I am not a NASCAR fan and liked the more subdued and classy monochrome.  I am sure it was simply a matter of not wanting to be upstaged by Chiquita, although at only 2 floors of occupancy, I feel like they ought of be stricken from having their name on the building anyway, as Chiquita taking a vast majority of the building ought to be the primary brand on the building.

I personally do not like the full color, but maybe just because I am not a NASCAR fan and liked the more subdued and classy monochrome.  I am sure it was simply a matter of not wanting to be upstaged by Chiquita, although at only 2 floors of occupancy, I feel like they ought of be stricken from having their name on the building anyway, as Chiquita taking a vast majority of the building ought to be the primary brand on the building.

I think they should sell advertising space on the building.  It's only fitting.

Archived