NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

Well I'm not sure how you design an office tower to look like something other than an office tower, but personally this design is neither stunning nor ugly to me. I agree that it needs to be stone (please no EIFS), but concrete would be acceptable.

At 300,000 sq. ft., we are probably looking at 750-1,000 jobs in this thing. It would make sense for SPEED TV to go here, as corporate licensing offices for sponsers (a lot of these are in Huntersville right now).

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was speculating earlier that the extreme increase in concrete prices might actually make stone a higher possibility. If concrete has risen to the point where it is twice as expensive as it used to be, and stone is now only a little bit more, it might be perceived to be a great relative value. I have a feeling that Pei or really anyone won't be too accepting of low quality materials in a structure intended to be an icon for the city. I could be wrong, but I think they'll go upscale here.

I don't think much effort was put into the tower design, not that I don't like it, but because of time constraints and the relative uncertainty of the tower. It looks ok.....if they could do a bit more with the opaque portions then I would like it better.

You worked so hard to get to 2000, and it is as anticlimactic as Y2K! :)

MC, I distinctly got the impression that it was just a preliminary design for the tower. However, I kind of think the Pei firm was retained, because it doesn't make sense to have hired someone else.

The north facing side looks identical to the south facing side on the other renderings. That said, I agree with everyone that it is boring. I am optimistic that they have retained the same arch firm and that the designs will now be refined and improved.

Normally I don't care for company logos adorning roof lines on towers either. Jacksonville, Florida has a plethora of this, and to my eye it looks garish, tacky.

But in the case of the HOF tower, I think it will look kinda cool:)

Sure the tower, as seen, is nothing to write home about. Perhaps a public dialog a la public comments about the back of Courtside, might lead to improvements or even better, a Pei design.

I like it, I hope the entire wall facing away from us is blank, just concrete or whatever, that would be cool, just a black wall, maybe with a couple windows randomly placed, would be a great modern skyscraper ( used this word lightly), I love it It could be something we need more of, it is one of our first real modern buildings, and I think that it should be ultra modern

Well, here is the north and west side of the tower:

1381a.jpg

here is the south and east side of the tower:

1381b.jpg

Again, I'm not sure this is the final rendering, but I doubt we will see a major departure from that, but I don't know.

It could have just been added conceptually as a proposal and then would be actually designed once they get an agreement.

No chance, though of the north and east side getting a blank wall, as that is the skyline view. No designer would block out a skyline view for its tenants on purpose.

Is that pic found or photoshopped?

I am glad that they didn't change the front, and make it more conservative like the back. I like that picture from the front with the tower in the back, because yea I like that "nascar tower" doesn't really look connected to the building in the front, and it doesn't take away too much from the back, but yea I figured no blank wall as much as I would love it so I guess it just the same from front as in the back, just with the wrap reversed, I like that idea, but I like mine better, hehe, if only it wasn't skyline view.

I don't think there was any doubt Charlotte would win the bid. At least, not for me. I don't think of Kansas City, Atlanta, or Richmond (wasn't that the other city?) when I think of Nascar. I think of Charlotte and Daytona. I figured Charlotte would win because it is a much bigger city and a bigger market for it. The new tower and museum should move uptown up the ladder a bit as a destination point for the Carolinas. It's exciting to see an emerging metropolis just down the road grow into a cosmopolitan city. For me, the biggest disappointment was hearing that it won't begin construction until NEXT YEAR and is not expected to open until 2011(?). I was shocked by these dates. Can't they put the pedal to the metal and get moving sooner? They build skyscrapers in less than a year nowadays...

<_<

I actually like the tower, but i'm doubtful this is the absolute final rendering. I like that the glass bows out a little bit to make it appear more rounded. The logo isn't that big of a deal for me, given that the tower won't be that tall.....and by that time it will probably be completely dwarfed by many other buildings in uptown, so that it's not that noticeable like the buildings in Jacksonville. I hope once the tower is complete, it retains the stark white color in the rendering...so maybe they wont use super cheap materials.

Again, I like the tower. I think the idea of the tower design is to not take away from the HOF. The more simple the tower, the more you notice its base. As far as the NASCAR color logo on the top, love it. Hope its neon.

Man MC you are really on it with the Neon ! Boy oh boy, I am going to be in extacy if Charlotte can really drop the button down approach they have towards signage. I can't stand going to a city that has towers, nightlife, and a busy streetscape without any color. It ust seems drab, don't cha' think??? Life is better in color !!! :wub:

A2

Speaking of color and neon and Nascar, I was wondering something earlier today. It is obviously a little late, and clearly will not be added to the Nascar Hall of Fame, but what if they had added some ribbons of LED to the swooping part of the Hall design. It is one of my favorite things in the Arena, that ribbon of LEDs that acts like a TV between the lower and upper levels.

It seems to me that since they have all those symbols on the building to signify motion, they could have actually had motion displays occasionally running along the building. It could have also added to the color, and a couple other things that seem to fit nascar. Of course it would also be like a marquis or be programmed to display an inductee making a symbolic trip around the track.

Cheesy? Cool?

I think with as staid as the banks and the energy conglomerate are downtown, Nascar is our shot at craziness and color. I like the idea of a large Nascar sign visible from the freeway to guide tourists, and be a landmark.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../13/story2.html

Apparently, Nascar could take 6 months before deciding on whether to include an office tower on the hall of fame site.

I think it is most interesting that Portman Plaza marketers think that the Nascar tower could help them eventually, as it will create a bit of an anchor tenant for the area. Hopefully that is the case and nascar related businesses would also seek office space nearby.

:shok:Info on HofF

Next to the hall, NASCAR also is considering a 300,000-square-foot office tower, similar in size to uptown's 30-story IJL Financial Center.

I saw that too UC. THat would be awesome. I honestly was thinking something much smaller. If it were similar in size to the IJL tower we would certainly not be looking at just 16 floors.

A2

:D

Archived