NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

I've always liked this building, and now even more so with the addition of the square windows down the side, and now that the increasing floorplate size is much more pronounced. This looks similar to many Dutch skyscrapers, which is a good thing in my opinion. Not every building uptown needs to be a masterpiece, then the overall effect is diluted. This is a good modern design, that I think will age well.

Unlike most on here, I'm not sold on the fountain. While it is cool that the building appears to be rising from water, fountains are getting to be too prevalent in this city and most don't offer an interactive space. It's an off-limit space to pedestrians. A few fountains downtown create pedestrian interaction, with the best being the one in front of 112 S. Tryon/Harpers To Go Go at Trade/Tryon. This fountain will fall short of that I believe.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always liked this building, and now even more so with the addition of the square windows down the side, and now that the increasing floorplate size is much more pronounced. This looks similar to many Dutch skyscrapers, which is a good thing in my opinion. Not every building uptown needs to be a masterpiece, then the overall effect is diluted. This is a good modern design, that I think will age well.

Unlike most on here, I'm not sold on the fountain. While it is cool that the building appears to be rising from water, fountains are getting to be too prevalent in this city and most don't offer an interactive space. It's an off-limit space to pedestrians. A few fountains downtown create pedestrian interaction, with the best being the one in front of 112 S. Tryon/Harpers To Go Go at Trade/Tryon. This fountain will fall short of that I believe.

I am actually most excited about the fountain (as I have no interrest in Nascar), but as far as this museum goes - to be a large open area destination within the city, I beleive the fountain will add to that greatly. The biggest problem I have with the other water features in the city is that they feel too inclosed by concrete (aside from the one near the government buildings - ya know, the one where they shot Shallow Hal?)...anyway... But the fountains at Trade/Tryon, and at the public library (to name a few) are not large open spaces - namely, there is no interaction between the water and the sky. I'm hoping this fountain will have that interraction once the project is done.

Think about it, it's more fun to sit by a fountain if you are in the sunshine or beneath our characteristic Carolina blue skies.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I see that they've "embossed" the logo out of the building now rather than the external signage they had before. I hope they at least have some cool colored lighting for night-time schemes. Our skyline need some color!

of course they will, it's NASCAR. They add "flair" to everything they do!

I see that they've "embossed" the logo out of the building now rather than the external signage they had before. I hope they at least have some cool colored lighting for night-time schemes. Our skyline need some color!

The latest rendering also leaves out the lighted edge of the bowl. If you recall the City Council cut that to save money :(

I'm not following...what are you talking about?

Remember the LED lights that were part of the project originally. They were suppose to change colors and look really awesome. This most recent rendering shows them not part of the project, which was already known when the city announced cutbacks for the budget.

I really wish this came back into the budget, I am disappointed without the LED's.

The last City Council meeting they talked about the NASCAR HoF they specifically talked about the LED lights and they have not been cut. They might be cut due to the tight budget...but that hasn't happened yet. They will only be visisble at night so of course you wont see them in a daylight rendering of the office tower. This project is still evolving and the final budget and specs have not been set yet...but the LED lights were still in the picture last time I checked.

Archived