Charlotte - Capital of Auto Racing in North America?

monsoon

Is Charlotte the Capital of Auto Racing in North America?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which city is the capital of Auto Racing in North America

• Charlotte
    • Daytona
    • Indianapolis
    • Other

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was watching a show this weekend on the History Channel or Discovery, forget which, on Japan, it was news to me that NASCAR, not just formula racing, is the second most popular sport there next to baseball. When you couple that with the increasing popularity of NASCAR in other places in the world, I don

Was watching a show this weekend on the History Channel or Discovery, forget which, on Japan, it was news to me that NASCAR, not just formula racing, is the second most popular sport there next to baseball. When you couple that with the increasing popularity of NASCAR in other places in the world, I don't think it's recent loss of popularity will continue. I think it's popularity in America will rebound as the sport changes from a stereotypical southern redneck thing into something else, which is already happening with a Japanese car and a few international drivers, and goes more 'mainstream'. Whether or not CLT is considered the capital of the sport, the HoF will at least ensure it gets more exposure, and if internationally then even better.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Did they finally do away with some of the extremely strict and obtuse restrictions for the cars? Read a couple of years ago when a Japanese maker (Toyota?) was first attempting to get into NASCAR it was impossible because they didn't make various engine components so inefficient or bulky as the standards dictated, which supposedly hadn't changed much from the 60's or 70's or something like that.

Since the 70's, all engines have been based off a carbureted 350 small block. 99.9% of cars today use fuel injection, so the technology is definitely older. That's one of the reasons i love the sport. Teams find a way to get 800-1000 hp out of technology their grandfathers used. Also since that era, the cars are indeed almost all the same. The "car of tomorrow" is getting mixed reviews, and tune in to the bristol race to find out what the drivers think of it as well.

In regards to the market expanding to the Seattle and Minny/St Paul areas.....i think that it would be tough. There have already been naysayers in the seattle area, so i think that one isn't gonna happen.

Since the 70's, all engines have been based off a carbureted 350 small block. 99.9% of cars today use fuel injection, so the technology is definitely older. That's one of the reasons i love the sport. Teams find a way to get 800-1000 hp out of technology their grandfathers used. Also since that era, the cars are indeed almost all the same. The "car of tomorrow" is getting mixed reviews, and tune in to the bristol race to find out what the drivers think of it as well.

In regards to the market expanding to the Seattle and Minny/St Paul areas.....i think that it would be tough. There have already been naysayers in the seattle area, so i think that one isn't gonna happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Indy will always be the #1 place you think of when you think of Auto Racing, even though Indy Car racing has gone out of style recently It still beats the everloving sh*t out of Nascar anyday.

Holy bejeezes I hate NASCAR

<-- Bitter Indy Car fan <_<

• 1 month later...
^ yeah man, NASCAR pretty much was built in this area. 90% of the teams are located within a 30 mile radius. There's much more racing history in charlotte than in daytona. Daytona was the first "official" NASCAR race, but stockcar racing had been around much longer in the charlotte and NC area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived