Some Things You Dislike About Columbia

sonofaque86

Ge whiz, gosh goll jeepers, I go to work for a day and all hell breaks loose on UP! :P There have been some interesting posts on here today. While USC is a significant part of Columbia, it certainly isn't the only thing here. Look at other cities the size of Columbia and you will see the amenities that we have BECAUSE there is a major university located here.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ge whiz, gosh goll jeepers, I go to work for a day and all hell breaks loose on UP! :P There have been some interesting posts on here today. While USC is a significant part of Columbia, it certainly isn't the only thing here. Look at other cities the size of Columbia and you will see the amenities that we have BECAUSE there is a major university located here.

Apparently you guys must have glasses that show other things, and me and a few others on here must have glasses that see complete opposite things. As for the Free Times article.....hit the nail on the head! You want to look at other cities the size of Columbia and compare and contrast? Try Charleston's and Raleigh-Durham's shopping scene, try Greenville's main st. & European companies, try myrtle beach's restaurant scene, and according to the free times article, apparently not only are we slow at retail growth as far as national chains, but also we cant support not many independantly owned stores either. Charleston had Starbucks waaaaaay before we ever got one. And that goes for alot of other things. Even Greensboro & Greenville's Bi-Lo center competes with Charlotte's concert scene, taking some acts away from the Bobcats arena (formerly Charlotte Coliseum). When does Columbia ever steal an event from Charlotte or from Greenville? It also stated alot of things that I wasn't aware about, further embarassing statements. Point closed

Well dude...MOVE then! Geez...you sure like to complain. Maybe you should live in a city where you could practice your "shopping queen" skills. <This post was deleted for making a personal attack on another member - Skyliner>

complaining or not im stating the facts, and how can you assume im male?

Seriously why not just end it all? It must be really hard for you? Do you post much in the CLT, Gville, Charleston, Forums about how great those cities are? Or are we just lucky enough to share in your rosy outlook on life? We all know you can't find anything positive about Columbia I really can't imagine what on earth is keeping you there?

Eh, but I guess that was the thread tough?

Even Greensboro & Greenville's Bi-Lo center competes with Charlotte's concert scene, taking some acts away from the Bobcats arena (formerly Charlotte Coliseum). When does Columbia ever steal an event from Charlotte or from Greenville? It also stated alot of things that I wasn't aware about, further embarassing statements. Point closed

ummm...ever since the Carolina/Colonial Center came on line.

But really, a thread titled "Some things you dislike about Columbia" is naturally going to draw criticisms and comparisons to other cities. We should be big boys and girls in such a discussion. However, I do doubt some people's actual knowledge of the city when they post criticisms that seem outdated at best and /or uninformed at worst..

With said, my single biggest gripe would probably be with the above ground power lines throughout downtown.

Alright, this is starting to get out of hand here. Posts which attack other members personally are NOT permitted on UP, so any I see will be deleted. :stop:

I believe this thread was started with the intention of discussing the viewpoints members have concerning things they dislike about Columbia for the purpose of making the city a better place in the long-term. If a member states his or her dislike and it is not bashing the city without reason or something legitimate to back it up, then that is welcome information for a mature discussion. Let's get this back on an adult level and look at ways to make Columbia better by discussing how to correct or solve the problems. :)

Skyliner has spoken! Y'all better behave!

As far as Columbia's retail situation, I have already spoken on that, but I don't think that Charleston and Raleigh-Durham are exactly contemporaries of Columbia in this regard. If Charleston and Myrtle Beach didn't cater so heavily to tourists, there wouldn't be nearly as many retail opportunities there. And Raleigh-Durham is a metro twice the size of Columbia's with a major economic engine that pays well, so that's not comparable at all, IMO.

Starbucks? A sign of progress? :sick:

And sorry to have to break it to you Tem, but you aren't in-the-know as it concerns the Colonial Center and its success. The Colonial Center was the #1 arena in the Carolinas and #2 university arena in the world last year according to Pollstar Magazine and was ranked #22 globally for ticket sales in 2003. The center was 35th among national arenas, ahead of the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and the American Airlines Arena in Miami; the center has also been on Pollstar's top 100 worldwide list since its opening in Nov. 2002.

Tem, just to make it official, mention ONE thing you like about Columbia, just one. I'd like to see this...

But really, a thread titled "Some things you dislike about Columbia" is naturally going to draw criticisms and comparisons to other cities.

This is true, but when you hear it from someone whose sole purpose posting in the Columbia subforum is to basically bash the city at almost every turn (and in turn talk about what a utopia another certain city is), you really get tired of reading about it. Personally, I don't see the point in expending such energy into negatively criticizing a city I don't like; I just stay out of that subforum.

With said, my single biggest gripe would probably be with the above ground power lines throughout downtown.

Agreed! :sick:

Some people find this amusing. As far as this thread is concerned, all of you residing in or supporting Columbia need to accept the criticism and look for ways to maturely discuss ways to improve the problems without lashing out at the individuals making the complaint. ;)

Oh, and it does do some good for the Columbia forum as it boosts the post count. (if that interests you)

This is true, but when you hear it from someone whose sole purpose posting in the Columbia subforum is to basically bash the city at almost every turn (and in turn talk about what a utopia another certain city is), you really get tired of reading about it. Personally, I don't see the point in expending such energy into negatively criticizing a city I don't like; I just stay out of that subforum.

I agree criticism is one thing but bogus claims with little or no evidence for the sole purpose of pissing on an area is another. If I were that unhappy in a place I would leave. Which is exactly what I did. Basically its like yeah why even express your point when its easier too just copy it and paste it and save yourself the trouble?

Here we go arguments again, lol, Dont bother you guys, your argument over Greenville is just as useless as my arguments with several forumers over Charlotte.....people will just not change their mind about certain cities

I find that statement very ironic!

There are at least a few people living in every city who don't like the place. This forum is open for moderated discussion on whatever a person likes or dislikes about Columbia - the same for every other forum on UP. If there is a major complaint, please let either Spartan or me know (by PM) and we'll handle it accordingly. Otherwise, learn to live with differing opinions about Columbia and everything will be okay. :)

Skyliner has spoken! Y'all better behave!

As far as Columbia's retail situation, I have already spoken on that, but I don't think that Charleston and Raleigh-Durham are exactly contemporaries of Columbia in this regard. If Charleston and Myrtle Beach didn't cater so heavily to tourists, there wouldn't be nearly as many retail opportunities there. And Raleigh-Durham is a metro twice the size of Columbia's with a major economic engine that pays well, so that's not comparable at all, IMO.

Starbucks? A sign of progress? :sick:

And sorry to have to break it to you Tem, but you aren't in-the-know as it concerns the Colonial Center and its success. The Colonial Center was the #1 arena in the Carolinas and #2 university arena in the world last year according to Pollstar Magazine and was ranked #22 globally for ticket sales in 2003. The center was 35th among national arenas, ahead of the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and the American Airlines Arena in Miami; the center has also been on Pollstar's top 100 worldwide list since its opening in Nov. 2002.

Tem, just to make it official, mention ONE thing you like about Columbia, just one. I'd like to see this...

Hmm......one good thing about Columbia...........oh i know.....It's only one hour from Charlotte! :D no but seriously, I like Harbison, and the Village at Sandhill, and there is this one place in the Vista called "Rust" its like a bar/lounge, very Euro Chic Big City feel, but noone is ever in it.......go figure, unless youre in a country western place or top 40 club its never packed

There are at least a few people living in every city who don't like the place. This forum is open for moderated discussion on whatever a person likes or dislikes about Columbia - the same for every other forum on UP. If there is a major complaint, please let either Spartan or me know (by PM) and we'll handle it accordingly. Otherwise, learn to live with differing opinions about Columbia and everything will be okay. :)

I think the problem we have is that that one particular poster ONLY posts negative things.

I like alot of things about cola. But the number 1 thing that gets me is the geography. Everytime I go there I just get a weird feeling as it's so country. I meen it's a good size city but it just seems spaced out for some reason. My fam lives off two notch and down off leesburg so that might be a reason. Keep in mind I'm used to the piedmont and columbia is on the fall line so.... the sandy soil is kinda of weird to me.

Better a university to drive the economy and give a vibe than tourism.

WTH? Dude, I think you just had to crack on my hometown. No, a university shouldn't be the drive for the economy, because once the students leave for summer, spring break, Christmas, etc., you end up with a dead town. Students are also transients. They're in the city for a period of time, and once they get a job, they move on. Tourists are transients also, but the difference is that they come to town to spend money. Most of the time, students (especially undergrads) have to watch what they spend.

My point is that the main driver of a city's economy should be industry and businesses. Cities should strive for this. If you look at places such as New York, LA, and Chicago, THAT is what keeps those cities thriving. Cola does have many businesses, but the main reason for this is its central location, and it is the capital of SC. The way the state bureaucracy is engrained into the city is another reason I haven't liked Cola as much as I thought I would.

This why I love to cruise through the SC forum. You guys don't hold any punches here. I guess I will add to this topic even though I haven't spent much time in Cola. The one thing would be I can't see downtown from I-20 going south. I remeber taking trips wtih the old man down to Georgia and I would always wonder what dowtown Columbia looked like. I mean the entrance is cool with the flyovers at the interchange with 77 but I wanted more. Thats all...

This why I love to cruise through the SC forum. You guys don't hold any punches here. I guess I will add to this topic even though I haven't spent much time in Cola. The one thing would be I can't see downtown from I-20 going south. I remeber taking trips wtih the old man down to Georgia and I would always wonder what dowtown Columbia looked like. I mean the entrance is cool with the flyovers at the interchange with 77 but I wanted more. Thats all...

I think that the I-77 Terminus/I-26 Interchange and the area around it would have prospered by now if it weren't in West Columbia.

There's tons of undeveloped land in that area, especially when heading back up 77 North from the interchange.

CN, I think a university is a good economic generator for a city IF the city capitalizes on its presence, like Austin has done. UT is still a major force in the city, but its presence has spawned high-tech companies which has made for a diverse economy. I hope Innovista can do this for Columbia.

WTH? Dude, I think you just had to crack on my hometown. No, a university shouldn't be the drive for the economy, because once the students leave for summer, spring break, Christmas, etc., you end up with a dead town. Students are also transients. They're in the city for a period of time, and once they get a job, they move on. Tourists are transients also, but the difference is that they come to town to spend money. Most of the time, students (especially undergrads) have to watch what they spend.

My point is that the main driver of a city's economy should be industry and businesses. Cities should strive for this. If you look at places such as New York, LA, and Chicago, THAT is what keeps those cities thriving. Cola does have many businesses, but the main reason for this is its central location, and it is the capital of SC. The way the state bureaucracy is engrained into the city is another reason I haven't liked Cola as much as I thought I would.

a university is a business and it is so much more than just students. USC employs 4500 people in the area...that in itself is a significant impact....not to mention research dollars that flow through as well as services that are contracted to other companies (ie construction, etc). USC adds alot to the econmoy regardless of whether students are in town or not.

Columbia is very balanced. Many students stay after they graduate. Research and knowledge will drive the US economy more than any other segment of the economy for the rest of our lives. Manufacturing will be done more and more overseas.

Columbia is very balanced. Many students stay after they graduate. Research and knowledge will drive the US economy more than any other segment of the economy for the rest of our lives. Manufacturing will be done more and more overseas.

Most students I know end up leaving Columbia......regardless of whether they are from here or not

CN, I think a university is a good economic generator for a city IF the city capitalizes on its presence, like Austin has done. UT is still a major force in the city, but its presence has spawned high-tech companies which has made for a diverse economy. I hope Innovista can do this for Columbia.

All of you have made good points. Krazee, especially. I hope that Innovista can create the business synergy that Cola needs. As for manufacturing, you don't want to have alot of it overseas. You need to have things like car, airplane, computer, or other technology plants. The city needs to produce things. However, the city has to have more than just the university to attract the businesses. The city needs appeal...and I mean appeal from a broad perspective. Cola is not exactly the most popular city in the state, but that is due to Cola maybe lacking in a few things. I'm not going to bash Cola everybody, just list a few things that Cola needs to work on to become a destination city: a better atmosphere, the friendliness of the citizens, the amenities (not cultural, but family-oriented activities), and cleanliness.

The city does have fun things to do such as the State Museum and the zoo. But what else would draw family-oriented business people here? You can't exactly go the museum and zoo multiple times for a totally different experience. Yes, there's USC sports, but college sports has a tendency to ostracize incoming people who have no affiliation with the school.

I've said this before, Cola has seriously under-utilized its water resources. Lake Murray should have several lakeside resorts along with maybe an amusement park. The rivers should have restaurant and retail development around them, like San Antonio's Riverwalk. If Cola had these things, the city would have more momentum to surpass the other Big 2 in population and importance to the state.

Archived