Some Things You Dislike About Columbia

sonofaque86

Columbia not being friendly..LOL...Everywhere I drive somebody is waving at me if I'm outside and somebody passes, there goes a wave...Maybe it's a southern thing but I never heard of a city being friendlier than another..Maybe it's the people you know or ran into that wasn't friendly

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your opinions of Columbia, and Charleston, come out in everyday conversation around Columbia the way they do in the Columbia thread, maybe that's why you've had problems making friends in here. I have found that Columbia's local news media, both TV and print, have no problems paying compliments to SC's other cities and their happenings. I read the Post and Courier daily, and I never, I repeat never see anything complimentary about Columbia or its happenings in that medium. Never.

When people from other parts of our state beotch about Columbia I am firmly convinced that it is due to total, complete, and unadulterated jealousy! I truly find that most apealing. :thumbsup:

Columbia is the city ya'll love to hate...I tell you...We are like the only one that takes all the heat...I mean this is a thread on some stuff that you dislike, but even outside of this thread and before it's ALWAYS something negative or if Columbia is ahead of another city then someone wants to belittle it by sayin something else..Just an observation, ya'll notice that too?

This is by far the most asinine discussions I've read in a while. You guys are arguing over which city is friendlier! This is the most subjective thing anyone can talk about. Any bias you have about a place can affect your opinion of it. Any experience you have there will change your opinion of it.

I was wary about this thread when it was started. Threads dedicated to talking crap generally aren't the best idea. But hey, prove me wrong.

Well you know what they say if they are always taking shots at you you musy be doing something right! :thumbsup:

When people from other parts of our state beotch about Columbia I am firmly convinced that it is due to total, complete, and unadulterated jealousy! I truly find that most apealing. :thumbsup:

Columbia is the city ya'll love to hate...I tell you...We are like the only one that takes all the heat...I mean this is a thread on some stuff that you dislike, but even outside of this thread and before it's ALWAYS something negative or if Columbia is ahead of another city then someone wants to belittle it by sayin something else..Just an observation, ya'll notice that too?

Just because people say Yes ma'am and no sir and please and thank you does not make them friendly, and that goes for anywhere not just Columbia.......there are friendly people everywhere, and there are mean people everywhere, there are open-minded people everywhere, and there are close-minded(ignorant) people everywhere, but it really seems that the natives of Columbia; especially the middle to older generations, for the most part are close minded and ignorant at alot of things

Ok..Back to the simpleness..I dont' like the summer humidity :)

I could never really understand that complaint, since I grew up in the Orangeburg area and our summers could get to be downright unbearable at times. To me, Columbia wasn't any different. But then I realized that most who complained about this usually resided north of the city or somewhere along the coast. Oh well, when it gets that hot, go take a dip in Lake Murray or the Congaree or something...LOL.

A friend of mine is temporarily located in Columbia for a job he has as a law clerk. He's originally from Georgia and has a home in Charlotte. Here's what he said.

Likes: the city has character, lots of neat local restaurants and venues, and the presence of the university gives the city a sense of youth and vitality.

His dislikes are primarily based with his experiences with his job. He can sense a tinge of racist elements in the city (he's Black, BTW), including Maurice's presense and the Southern heritage shop in Cayce. He also cited the poverty that he's witnessed, especially among the Black community.

As far as friendliness goes, his experiences have been rather mixed. One time he asked a policeman for directions, and the guy was rather rude to him. He also talked about a coffeeshop near the Statehouse where he received less than stellar service, where the waitress waited on two White guys who arrived after he did. The guys stressed to the waitress that my friend was there first. He says that his neighbors are nice and very helpful. He also mentioned that Columbia would probably see more growth if the city could sustain professional sports teams. But overall, he says he likes Columbia.

I just thought I would ask him and mention it here since he would be about as objective as anyone posting in this thread, including myself. :thumbsup:

Just to name a couple dislikes I have for the metro is the humidty,crazy traffic jams anytime after 4:00pm, the lack of professional sports, not able to purchase alch on sundays, no amusement/water parks for the public,and the lack of a real vision for the city.Just to name a few! Overall I love columbia as a city and the youthful vibe. The nightlife is awsome!!How many cities in the carolinas do we have where you can party all night without everything closing @ 2:00am.The good out weights the bad on any day. ;)

The vision for cities that are small to medium sized are mostly known by local people. Most people who live in Massachusetts are not going to know what Cincinnati, Madison, WI or Omaha is all about. They arent big popular megalopolises so people who live all over the states know what they are all about. Hell alot of people dont even know that Coca-Cola and Home Depot are based in Atlanta, and Atlanta is a huge city. Which is why I feel that only people who live near this area are going to know the "vision" of Columbia

The vision for cities that are small to medium sized are mostly known by local people. Most people who live in Massachusetts are not going to know what Cincinnati, Madison, WI or Omaha is all about. They arent big popular megalopolises so people who live all over the states know what they are all about. Hell alot of people dont even know that Coca-Cola and Home Depot are based in Atlanta, and Atlanta is a huge city. Which is why I feel that only people who live near this area are going to know the "vision" of Columbia

What is the vision for Columbia? I live here and I don't know :rofl:

What do I dislike about Columbia?

No high end retail shopping, and no market to possibly support it

Downtown Main Street is half beauty queen/half eye sore

No chance for Pro Sports in the immediate future

No amusement parks/water parks, etc.

So-So job market

Racial Tension still present

I'm sure I can think of tons of other reasons. I flat out refuse to ever move back to Columbia. I spent most of my life there, with the exception of a year or so in Cali and being in Spartanburg for 4 years of college.

If your opinions of Columbia, and Charleston, come out in everyday conversation around Columbia the way they do in the Columbia thread, maybe that's why you've had problems making friends in here. I have found that Columbia's local news media, both TV and print, have no problems paying compliments to SC's other cities and their happenings. I read the Post and Courier daily, and I never, I repeat never see anything complimentary about Columbia or its happenings in that medium. Never.

Ummm, I haven't even had many detailed conversations with most people originally from Cola, let alone talking about the city with them. If I do say something with some people I know here, I usually compliment the city. However, most of the people in my neighborhood have been rude (NONE of them wave) and are extremely nosy.

Please don't make comments assuming you know exactly how things have transpired for me and my wife here. Actually, comments like THAT prove my point. It seems like people here are very judgmental.

I think the problem we have is that that one particular poster ONLY posts negative things.

No offense waccamatt, but every time you mention Greenville it seems to be negative and berating. You have been that way in various South Carolina subforums, including Greenville's. It's cool if you don't care for Greenville - that is certainly your right - but if you're going to dish it out you need to be able to take it.

It is all fine in this thread. If anyone feels a member is breaking the rules, please let me know. I am unaware of a rule for members posting negatively or otherwise (besides plain bashing) in other cities' forums, but I am not always able to catch when real problems occur. I agree that there ought to be a common courtesy between us though. :thumbsup:

What do I dislike about Columbia?

No high end retail shopping, and no market to possibly support it

Downtown Main Street is half beauty queen/half eye sore

No chance for Pro Sports in the immediate future

No amusement parks/water parks, etc.

So-So job market

Racial Tension still present

I'm sure I can think of tons of other reasons. I flat out refuse to ever move back to Columbia. I spent most of my life there, with the exception of a year or so in Cali and being in Spartanburg for 4 years of college.

One thing I can say I have been living in Columbia for 27yrs and I am black .I have never experience ANY kind of racial tention in Columbia .Columbia is a very diverse city .Just check our demographics!The flag doesn't represent columbia.It represents s.c.

Archived