Some Things You Dislike About Columbia

sonofaque86

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me, as much as I frequent both forums, I would know. Relatively speaking, Matt's comments are nothing but a drop in the bucket. :thumbsup:

And Temeteron (the negative poster to which waccamatt and others have referred) only makes slightly over half of his/her posts in the Columbia forum. Temetron's 2.3 posts per day represent 0.11% of the forum's total posts. That is also a "drop in the bucket," yes?

People need to get thicker skin, or else not read threads that have the potential to bring out negative comments from posters.

Threads like these aren't the problem, as it is expected that negative comments will surface. But negative comments here, on top of the others in other threads, can get a little irritating, no matter how thick one's skin is. And when the facts don't back up the criticisms in many cases, that's DEFINITELY irritating (especially when one in particular has been made over and over again--despite evidence to the contrary).

Compare the posts Tem has made in the Columbia subforum to the posts that Matt has made in the Greenville forum, and I'm sure that you will indeed see that it is a drop in the bucket. It's all relative. I would think that forumers essentially have more liberty to heavily criticize other cities in their own city's subforum, but that isn't really tolerated in the criticized city's subforum because it's moreso considered to be baiting--aside from topics like these, that is. THAT'S the difference here.

At any rate, getting back on topic, another thing I tend to dislike about Columbia, which is actually common for most other cities, is the tendency to not get projects done on time--but hey, at least most of them DO get done.

Trust me, as much as I frequent both forums, I would know. Relatively speaking, Matt's comments are nothing but a drop in the bucket. :thumbsup:

Thanks Krazee; while I read alot of the other SC forums, I do most of my posting in the Columbia forum. I may post in the Greenville forum an average of once a month, while Tem posts in the Columbia forum at least an average of once a day. I really don't have a problem with Tem, it just gets old when someone continuously makes negative posts about superficial subjects like chain stores.

As far as the comment made by Gville that I make a point of going into the Greenville forum to make negative posts, I doubt you could find 20 posts I've made in that subforum in the last year and I think you will find that my main complaint about Greenville is that it is not a very diverse and welcoming city and I have cited several facts to back up my statements (long delay in Gvl County recognizing Martin Luther King, Jr day; County anti-gay resolution and homophobic billboards signed by members of county council and major businesses; BJU opposition to interracial dating until recently).

Being that I frequent every SC forum (wether I post or not, I do read) I am well aware of who does what. You can't pin it on any one person, so stop with these closet attacks.

There does seem to be some negative energy towards Columbia around here lately.

But in this thread, what do you expect?? This whole thread is designed to talk about crap you dont like. In this thread nobody has a right to complain about negative comments. Period.

Part of the problem is that many of you don't respect others opinions, or you get all bent out of shape about them.

Part of the problem is that people sometimes enter discussions with a superiority complex about their city, and that leads to comments sounding condesending, when they may not be intended to be.

When you come to the Columbia forum, get ready to talk about Columbia. Not Greenville. Not Charleston. COLUMBIA. This Greenville crap is irrelevant. If you have a specific problem with another forummer, please contact me or Skyliner. We'll be happy to help.

You guys, this childish bickering has got to stop.

CN, it's because you live out in the evil suburbs; everyone knows that. :P

I feel the love from you, man! Thanks so much! :D

Some people are going to have negative experiences in the city they live in. The question is: do these experiences outweigh the positive experiences? If they do, the individual will have a legitimate dislike for the city and will want to move to another city he/she feels more comfortable in.

Cola is not bad. I've never tried to trash the city. As a matter of fact, I've had good experiences here, but they involve things that you can have in any medium-size city such as plenty of places to eat and shop. Cola definitely does not bore you with the many franchise restaurants and stores. I lived in Cheyenne, WY for a year while I was in the Air Force, and when the local paper awards a bar and grill with a 5-star rating, you know you're not in a big city with plenty of choices!

However, my negative experiences here deal more with the people, the citizens than anything else. That is what is so disappointing. I also feel limited in what I can do here, but that is only because of my preference to not be landlocked. Bottomline: my opinions of Cola are legitimate, and this thread was made for me to express them.

Being in Cola last Friday, my trip was very pleasant and everyone i came across was very friendly. Even the motorists were friendly too in comparison to the tar heel capital city. :D

As a reminder from my earlier post, i was there visiting the USC campus because i am expressing interest of attending USC in the near future. After leaving Cola, i went spring breaking in FL for a little and now im in Charleston at least till tomorrow. So last night (st pattys day), my sister got me acquanted with a friend who has offered me a tour of Cola and the USC campus sometime in June so im definatly looking forward to it! The friend of my sister is a Columbia native attending CofC. He seemed happy and proud about his where abouts so thats a good start.

So I could not think of a better place to post this...I made the mistake of attempting to have dinner party at The Rhino Room, and the experience was less than that which was expected. I heard great things about the restaurant prior to the evening of concern and had developed high hopes. So I made reservations originally for about 15 people, at the time of the initial reservation I was told that the restaurant could handle the number and if I received word of more attendees to simply inform the staff. A few days later I upped the number of the party from 15 to 20, and specifically asked if that number could be accommodated. I told the staff member I spoke with that people would most likely come in at various time through out the evening, some ordering entrees while others may simply use the bar. I was assured that whatever my guest chose to do would be okay.

After arriving the night of the event I was properly greeted by the staff and ordered a bottle of wine to share. After the arrival of a few more people, the waitress began taking orders. The atmosphere was pretty nice and I was looking forward to partaking of my stuffed lobster tail. After the soups and salads had been completed several of the members of my party were becoming concerned with he status of their entree. I asked the waitress about the matter and she informed me that no order could be placed until everyone had placed his or her order. So I made sure that everyone present who intended on eating had ordered and the orders were finally put in.

After the orders were put in to the kitchen a few more people showed up. I asked the staff to add the empty table adjacent to my party so that the recent arrivals could join the group. I made approx 4 requests to two different staff members however the table was never added.

I began to become frustrated with the difficulty in putting in the entree orders and inability for table to be added (which was never used by another party during the evening). Another group of attendees to my party came in and needed to be seated. Since there was no more space at the main group of table and the staff never added the requested additional table the new people had to be set in a different area of the establishment. I asked that they be seated behind me so that they would be close to the party however the staff sat the group in the farthest corner away from the main group saying that the section closest to me was closed and that was the only area available (the restaurant isn

D_S, you brought the proper balance (karma?) back to this discussion, and I sincerely thank you for that! :D What EACH of our major cities offer to any visitor and potential resident is a unique opportunity to prosper for the rest of their lives. Let's not forget that and look negatively toward residents from other parts of the same state. :thumbsup:

D_S, you brought the proper balance (karma?) back to this discussion, and I sincerely thank you for that! :D What EACH of our major cities offer to any visitor and potential resident is a unique opportunity to prosper for the rest of their lives. Let's not forget that and look negatively toward residents from other parts of the same state. :thumbsup:

Skyliner, your eloquent contribution was much appreciated as well--thank you. :)

Archived