Memphis pictures

Fellowmann20

These are pics of Memphis from mainly Court Square and Confederate Park. There are also two pics taken on Dudley St. which is off of Crump and leads to Elmwood Cemetary. I would have taken more of the old industrial park there, but ofcourse there was a bum walking up on me and I didn't feel like arguing with him to give him money. I also noticed many stray dogs there, they all stuck together like a family, which I thought was cool. We'll here they are.

I love this shot.

1A.jpg

Like I said before,I wish I could have taken more of these. This is an old rail line in the dilapidated industrial park with I-240 going over it in the back.

2.jpg

The first spire of Memphis, the Lincoln American Tower.

3.jpg

The Falls Building.

4.jpg

5.jpg

The Morgan Keagan Tower, I always thought this added some modernism to Downtown Memphis.

6.jpg

Confederate Park, the old cannons there are pretty neat, just don't get too close or you will smell the bums bodily fluids. :sick:

7.jpg

:cry: ........It just ain't the same without it. I miss that old sign, it was an icon to the city.

8.jpg

I thought this was a pretty dense shot.

9.jpg

A pretty safe lookin alley.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I knew this was a good shot when I looked up and saw it.

13.jpg

The Sterick Building, I love this historic building and I really hope they renovate it. I would hate to see it go.

14.jpg

I love trolleys, and I'm glad they restored the old lines in the 90s.

16.jpg

The Exchange Building, another great historic building of Memphis.

17.jpg

They kind of go together don't they.

18.jpg

This is just one of those great shots.

19.jpg

Two buildings in one.

20.jpg

21.jpg

It would have been perfect if it wasn't for that piece of trash, aaahhh what was I thinking! :angry:

22.jpg

The two spires together.

24.jpg

26.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Well I hope you liked them. Feel free to post any comments.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photos all the way. You picked a fine day for the shoot.

I agree with you about the 100 N.M. sign. At first, I was hoping they would take in down and put something new at the top. I can't believe they're just letting it sit there empty. It looks awful. People could be forgiven for thinking it was an abandoned building.

Did you notice the holes punched out on every floor on the west side of the Goodwyn Building? I didn't notice that before, but of course I'm usually downtown at night. Somebody mentioned earlier that it would have balconies, and I wondered how they would pull that off. I guess that's how.

Thanks for those pictures. I really enjoying your pictures Fellowmann so I hope you keep posting them. The city seems very urban, but peaceful at the same time. Ugh liter. :sick: That picture with the trash on the ground really bothered me. There was a trash can like two steps away!!! :angry: The carrige rides thru downtown is a very intresting mode of transportation. Is it for leisure or actually transporting people? How much does it cost?

Thanks for those pictures. I really enjoying your pictures Fellowmann so I hope you keep posting them. The city seems very urban, but peaceful at the same time. Ugh liter. :sick: That picture with the trash on the ground really bothered me. There was a trash can like two steps away!!! :angry: The carrige rides thru downtown is a very intresting mode of transportation. Is it for leisure or actually transporting people? How much does it cost?

that trash can be easily removed with photo shop, just render the other part of the brick over it, match up the colours and make sure the shadows arent messed up... 1 hour job max.

that trash can be easily removed with photo shop, just render the other part of the brick over it, match up the colours and make sure the shadows arent messed up... 1 hour job max.

No I enjoyed his pictures and I wouldn't want him to spend an hour on somthing so minor. Just saying its a shame some people litter even when a bin is right in their face.

Thanks for the comments everyone! :D

cdarr: I'm like you too, I thought they might put another sign up there and I wish they would. Yes, I noticed those walls punched out for a while. I wonder how long its going to take them to finish it.

bears: Yep, I was pretty upset about the trash too, but it was one of those one time pics. I noticed the trash after I took the picture. I also have no idea how much a carraige ride costs.

ricky_the_great: Thanks for the tip, but I don't really feel like working on a picture for one hour.

More pics will come in the future, but I'm not sure when.

The carriage rides are strictly leisure. The last time my girlfriend and I rode it was $35, but I talked the guy down to $27! :whistling: It was pretty neat, we got about a 30 minute ride.

Great pictures fellowmann20!!! How on earth did you get down by those railroad tracks to get those shots?

Beggars can't be choosing Fellowmann20, but if you ever get around the area, how about some pic updates of the Southend area? I was down there last June, and some of the condos--Rooftop condos and one other--were just starting to be framed out. What does it look like now?

BTW--I'd do it myself, but live 720 miles away!

mandrws1: Well its pretty simple, just get off I-240 at Crump Blvd (Exit 29) and head westbound. Then, from the map I'm reading, it should be the second left or just look for Dudley St. Turn onto it and follow it down to the railroad crossing. This area isn't that stable so if you are going to try to go take pics there be very careful. Thats the only reason I got 2 pics, because a bum was walking up on me. Another reference to where I took the pics is the old VA medical center(which has currently been destroyed). Well there ya go. Happy to help. :thumbsup:

Sleepy: 720 miles! Wow, thankyou for supporting Memphis even though you live so far away. :) Well I could plan to go there and take some pics, but I don't know where it is. So, if you could try to give me some main roads surrounding the area I might be able to, but it could be a while. Hopefully its not an area I already do know, but I just don't know I know it......you know what I'm sayin? phew........... :blush:

mandrws1: Well its pretty simple, just get off I-240 at Crump Blvd (Exit 29) and head westbound. Then, from the map I'm reading, it should be the second left or just look for Dudley St. Turn onto it and follow it down to the railroad crossing. This area isn't that stable so if you are going to try to go take pics there be very careful. Thats the only reason I got 2 pics, because a bum was walking up on me. Another reference to where I took the pics is the old VA medical center(which has currently been destroyed). Well there ya go. Happy to help. :thumbsup:

Sleepy: 720 miles! Wow, thankyou for supporting Memphis even though you live so far away. :) Well I could plan to go there and take some pics, but I don't know where it is. So, if you could try to give me some main roads surrounding the area I might be able to, but it could be a while. Hopefully its not an area I already do know, but I just don't know I know it......you know what I'm sayin? phew........... :blush:

Heres a map of some landmarks in Southend:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&sll=...009265,0.018969

I believe its in the same neighborhood as the Civil Rights Museum. Tennessee St is a road in this area.

Southend is the area around Georgia and Tennessee, between Front and the River. It's south of G.E. Patterson, south of the train station, and much further south than the Civil Rights museum.

Here's a map:

http://www.southendmemphis.com/construction.htm

Damn, I don't remember all the great old classic buildings in Memphis. They're beeeeautifullll.... Too bad we've lost so many of ours in Atlanta. I'm so glad they're getting restored.

I think Memphis should play up its downtown to would-be visitors... it's quite walkable (at least appears to be).

Damn, I don't remember all the great old classic buildings in Memphis. They're beeeeautifullll.... Too bad we've lost so many of ours in Atlanta. I'm so glad they're getting restored.

I think Memphis should play up its downtown to would-be visitors... it's quite walkable (at least appears to be).

It is played up. Beale St. has been touted as the no. 1 tourist attraction in the state. And downtown is usually full of tourists.

Here you go Fellowmann. It only took 5 minutes to fix and 5 minutes to upload.

memphis.jpg

I was in Memphis last year for a seminar. I loved the downtown. Great ribs at Rendezvous and beer at the Flying Saucer. Also caught a Grizzlies game at the Forum. Beale Street at night was awesome.

I wasn't as thrilled with the area around the Hampton Inn on Union St. east of town by the hospital; the area was kind of dirty with drifters and vagrants all over the place. As soon as I got out of my rental car, I got hit up for $ from a seedy looking character (the first of 3 such encounters, though one vagrant only wanted some cigarettes).

Overall, I enjoyed Memphis and would love to go back.

Here you go Fellowmann. It only took 5 minutes to fix and 5 minutes to upload.

I was in Memphis last year for a seminar. I loved the downtown. Great ribs at Rendezvous and beer at the Flying Saucer. Also caught a Grizzlies game at the Forum. Beale Street at night was awesome.

I wasn't as thrilled with the area around the Hampton Inn on Union St. east of town by the hospital; the area was kind of dirty with drifters and vagrants all over the place. As soon as I got out of my rental car, I got hit up for $ from a seedy looking character (the first of 3 such encounters, though one vagrant only wanted some cigarettes).

Overall, I enjoyed Memphis and would love to go back.

see, it wasnt so hard :P

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry its been a while. I just got back from vacation and haven't been around a computer with internet access. Thanks for the comments again! :)

Rural King:I'll will check that out and make it shorter.

flotown: Wow! thanks for doing that. I have photoshop but I have no idea how to use it.

Archived