Top things to see in Greenville in an afternoon

mallguy

I am trying to sell Greenville to a friend of mine and her husband, who are thinking about taking a job in the area. Apart from downtown, where we will probably go to lunch and for a walk, what would you recommend to visitors having maybe 2 hours to spend? They are urban, culturally-savvy types (no interest in visiting Haywood Mall probably).

Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course you'll show them UrbanPlanet.org and all the master-planned communities and commercial centers, right? :thumbsup:

Since you are sure to spend most, if not all of your time downtown, I would include a few of the nicer neighborhoods in the immediate area:

• Crescent Avenue/McDaniel Avenue/Augusta Road

• North Main Street

• Montebello

• Hampton Avenue (carefully)

• Pelham Road/Thornblade area

• Parkins Mill area

Other areas of importance would include the Woodruff Road retail corridor.

Also, don't forget the growing artists' colony in West Greenville. :thumbsup:

Make sure they are fully aware of the mountains, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls near Greenville. Inform them of the quaint mountain arts and crafts villages nearby which make excellent getaways. Also, be sure to let them see a Cliffs Communities flyer, since they'll not have time to get up and check them out personally.

Here are some ideas that are totally, unique to Greenville:

- An afternoon concert at the Governors School for Arts and Humanities

- Tea at O'Cha

- Drive them up to Ceasers Head for the view

- Take them in The Map Store

- Rent bikes and use the many bike lanes / greenways

- Depending on the day, schedule one of the evening downtown events...Main Street Jazz, Moonlight Movies (they start back in April I believe), etc.

- I'd really focus on downtown and West End and the urban, culturally savvy, shops and restaurants.....Venti, Blue Martini, The Casbah, Eden's, Addy's, West End Day Spa, O, Bistro Europa, Benetz, etc, etc, etc.

I am trying to sell Greenville to a friend of mine and her husband

Don't you wish all sales jobs were that easy! ;)

Don't forget Heritage Green in your walk around town. Take in the Art Museum, explain the vision for the Children's museum and the Upcountry Museum. Let them know that part of the Bob Jones Art Collection (one of the most revered in the world) will have a spot there too in the restored Coca-Cola building. All alongside the existing Greenville Little Theatre and the Greenville Library. It really is a hotbed of culture. :thumbsup:

I'd also recommend:

• Take a drive up to and through the Furman University Campus

• Drive on up to Travelers Rest and perhaps stop in for a bit at Sunrift Outdoors (if they're the outdoorsey type)

• (If you have time) a Driving Tour of where all the theatres and performing arts venues are located, perhaps

mallguy, do you have a date set yet?

All I can think of is Funny Farm with Chevy Chase where he had the whole town stage a magical day for the prospective buyers of his house.

Maybe you can get a little UP behind the scenes help. You know, a comment in the backgroud here and there like:

"What a lovely park, and this bridge is amazing."

"Can you believe the growth? It's so well thought out, and this is just the beginning"

"There are so many restaurants in Greenville, I just can't decide"

"Hello, its a beautiful day isn't it?"

:rofl:

Not that Greenville needs it. :shades:

Thanks for all of the information. March 18 is the magic date. I think they'll be impressed!

Does La Bastide have a winery that you can visit (complete with vineyards) and have a tasting and buy wine? That's always fun; I never new Gville had such a thing.

All I can think of is Funny Farm with Chevy Chase where he had the whole town stage a magical day for the prospective buyers of his house.

Maybe you can get a little UP behind the scenes help. You know, a comment in the backgroud here and there like:

"What a lovely park, and this bridge is amazing."

"Can you believe the growth? It's so well thought out, and this is just the beginning"

"There are so many restaurants in Greenville, I just can't decide"

"Hello, its a beautiful day isn't it?"

:rofl::rofl: Great one NYT!! Here are some possible actors and their parts of the top of my head....RT at the ballpark overseeing construction, jarvisj3 in the middle of downtown working on light rail plans, Skyliner at Riverplace with a team of lighting engineers working on a lazer show, you with a tripod and camera taking shots of beautiful Greenville for a national magazine, GvilleSC organizing an Augusta Road street party and parade, and Greenville overseeing contractors at McBee Station to make sure ALL the power lines are buried! Who'd play the crazy mailman though? Any volunteers? :D

Thanks for all of the information. March 18 is the magic date. I think they'll be impressed!

Does La Bastide have a winery that you can visit (complete with vineyards) and have a tasting and buy wine? That's always fun; I never new Gville had such a thing.

http://www.cliffscommunities.com/la-bastid...e/38/section/26

There's also a thread in the Greenville section on La Bastide.

:rofl::rofl: Great one NYT!! Here are some possible actors and their parts of the top of my head....RT at the ballpark overseeing construction, jarvisj3 in the middle of downtown working on light rail plans, Skyliner at Riverplace with a team of lighting engineers working on a lazer show, you with a tripod and camera taking shots of beautiful Greenville for a national magazine, GvilleSC organizing an Augusta Road street party and parade, and Greenville overseeing contractors at McBee Station to make sure ALL the power lines are buried! Who'd play the crazy mailman though? Any volunteers? :D

:rofl::rofl: Great one NYT!! Here are some possible actors and their parts of the top of my head....RT at the ballpark overseeing construction, jarvisj3 in the middle of downtown working on light rail plans, Skyliner at Riverplace with a team of lighting engineers working on a lazer show, you with a tripod and camera taking shots of beautiful Greenville for a national magazine, GvilleSC organizing an Augusta Road street party and parade, and Greenville overseeing contractors at McBee Station to make sure ALL the power lines are buried! Who'd play the crazy mailman though? Any volunteers?

NYT and gsupstate, you guys are a riot! :rofl: That is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. And placing UP members around town is just perfect. Maybe we could also get a school to have a weekend field trip downtown and they could all wear the Greenville cityblocks.com t-shirts. :lol:

Thanks- is La Bastide worth driving all the way to if I'm going just to the winery, not lunch? I couldn't tell based on the pictures in the other thread how substantial the place is.

The Inn and restaurant sit at the entrance to the vineyard. It's just past Travelers Rest. Call them and check it out. I've been to a wine tasting there at the restaurant in the evening, but not sure about tastings at the winery. If you aren't doing lunch, may not be worth it, BUT, it is a beautiful spot and the view of the mountains is spectacular! :D

Maybe we could also get a school to have a weekend field trip downtown and they could all wear the Greenville cityblocks.com t-shirts. :lol:

Love it!!! :D

NYT and gsupstate, you guys are a riot! :rofl: That is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. And placing UP members around town is just perfect. Maybe we could also get a school to have a weekend field trip downtown and they could all wear the Greenville cityblocks.com t-shirts. :lol:

A sea of green walking through downtown. :D

Well if you make the trip to La Bastide, it would easily be worth it because The Cliffs Valley is just a short distance north on 25. You could visit both places and experience the essence of Greenville foothills community life. :thumbsup:

True. All out of towners should see Cliffs Valley (or any of the Cliffs communities). :thumbsup:

As much as I was hoping to go to La Bastide, the people I'm showing around Greenville want to just see Greenville, particularly neighborhoods and grocery stores. Any ideas re: what the best grocery store in town is, until Whole Foods opens?

Thanks.

Check out Earth Fare on Pelham. It's a newer, larger Earth Fare. Excellent! :thumbsup:

Or try Fresh Market on E. North, older but has the goods!

Archived