Razorback 6 Cinema Property - Fayetteville

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard anything but I was pretty sure they would close the Razorback. I've been wondering what they might do with that property. I really like that spot between College and Green Acres Rd. Gives you a nice triangle. A nice development right there in that spot I think could really help give a spark to revitalizing that area of College.

I haven't heard anything but I was pretty sure they would close the Razorback. I've been wondering what they might do with that property. I really like that spot between College and Green Acres Rd. Gives you a nice triangle. A nice development right there in that spot I think could really help give a spark to revitalizing that area of College.

That actually sparked my earlier thread about streams and waterway reclamation. From the aerial views I've been looking at, it looks as if there is a streambed that approaches from the north and then slips under the property there. Its just a huge expanse of uninterrupted concrete parking lot and its redevelopment and greening up would do wonders for that area of College Ave.

For retail, it offers excellent visibility, and its one of the few flat parcels that size with street frontage that exist on College Ave. The other two areas similar to it are set way back, Evelyn Hills and Fiesta Square.

That actually sparked my earlier thread about streams and waterway reclamation. From the aerial views I've been looking at, it looks as if there is a streambed that approaches from the north and then slips under the property there. Its just a huge expanse of uninterrupted concrete parking lot and its redevelopment and greening up would do wonders for that area of College Ave.

For retail, it offers excellent visibility, and its one of the few flat parcels that size with street frontage that exist on College Ave. The other two areas similar to it are set way back, Evelyn Hills and Fiesta Square.

Interesting, I guess I hadn't thought about any stream nearby but I do know there is a small bridge on Township not too far away. It probably comes from a stream that originally came off of Mt Sequoyah. It would be great if some developer could also buy some of the surrounding land. I believe there's also an old gas station near there that's now used as a small car lot. But I certainly agree with you that this area has a lot of potential.

I think I can see where the stream runs from Google Earth. It looks like it goes under the northeast part of the parking lot, goes under College Ave then comes from the east near that little shopping area that has Liquor Mart and Slim Chickens. After it flows by Razorback 6 it heads north northwest. You cross over it on Township and also on Gregg. As you get closer to Drake it crosses back over and then stays on the east side of Gregg. It flows just west of Washington Regional and it keeps going north till it flows into Mud Creek to the south of the mall area. I don't see any names for the creek/stream though.

Yeah, the stream is visible across College at the old mini-golf place, then nw of Razorback near that shopping/office area s of Township (I forget the name of that place). I think this is a very interesting idea that you all have brought up-- definitely a great location, and in once was a natural old stream bed.

Yeah, the stream is visible across College at the old mini-golf place, then nw of Razorback near that shopping/office area s of Township (I forget the name of that place). I think this is a very interesting idea that you all have brought up-- definitely a great location, and in once was a natural old stream bed.

Yeah I'll have to think more about all those little streams and creeks I pass over while driving around. many of them I probably ever took much notice of, just over some of the larger ones.

I have a great idea for that piece of property. Totally renovate the interior and exterior parking lot with more greenery and turn this into a retail/independent movie theater. Fayetteville is long overdue for an independent movie cinema. This would be a perfect use for it. It is a very old-style movie theater that, if renovated, would look great. Someone should really look into that.

I know the city has talked about wanting a theater for independent films. I think the Razorback might be a little big for that. I'm also not sure if Malco is interested in that. I'm pretty sure the mayor has mentioned it to Malco before about maybe dedicating a couple of screens of their new theater to only independent films and such. But I'm not sure if Malco is very interested. If they aren't then I'm not sure who else would be there to provide the service. An interesting idea though. I don't think they'd need all the current space for it either. They could use some of the property for other things as well aside from more greenspace.

Kind of sad to see that the Razorback might eventually be gone forever. I used to be a manager there back in high school 95-96. I always thought that a dollar theater might work well there. It is still a very clean theater considering it opened in 1977 with the first Star Wars. First built as a twin or 4 plex (I can't remember exactly) then converted to a six screen. 3 large theaters and 3 much smaller auditoriums. But if it is for a greater project in midtown then I guess it will be worth it. :(

I have a great idea for that piece of property. Totally renovate the interior and exterior parking lot with more greenery and turn this into a retail/independent movie theater. Fayetteville is long overdue for an independent movie cinema. This would be a perfect use for it. It is a very old-style movie theater that, if renovated, would look great. Someone should really look into that.

Austin has many of these all throughout the city. In fact, they are the movie cinema capital of the world.

That is a neat idea, but this property is way too valuable for something like that.

I predict retail/office and a major redevelopment.

From Arkansas Business:

"Malco Sells Razorback

Malco Theatres Inc. of Memphis recently sold its Razorback 6 Cinema property on College Avenue to College Properties LLC for $1.3 million.

Bob Gaddy is the principal in College Properties LLC.

The sale included the 17,401-SF Razorback 6 building, which was built in 1976, and a total of 3.38-acres of property.

Malco will lease the building from College Properties until its new theater in the CMN Business Park in Fayetteville is complete.

That process will take about a year to 16 months to complete, said Jimmy Tashie, senior vice president with Malco. Tashie said Malco will close the Razorback 6 when the new theater opens.

Malco has plans for a 12-screen stadium-style movie theater in Fayetteville. It bought a 12.9-acre lot in CMN in September for $2.25 million. Tashie said there are also two restaurant pad sites available on the new Malco site.

Malco also has plans to build a new 12-screen movie theater in Rogers, although Tashie would not disclose whether that theater would be located in the Pinnacle Hills Promenade lifestyle center off Perry Road in Rogers or the Pleasant Crossing lifestyle center off Pleasant Crossing Road in Rogers. Malco owns the 12-screen Towne Center in Rogers and the Mall Twin Cinema in Fayetteville. "

Archived