New $500 million manufacturing facility possible for Bradley County

In Fridays Cleveland Daily Banner, an article mentioned that County Mayor D. Gary Davis shared about a potential factory for the North Bradley County Area with a local civic organization.

According to the Mayor Bradley County is on a very short list of locations for a European based manufacturing facility which if built here will include around $500 million in facilities along with a job count in the 100

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would certainly be awesome news for the Bradley County area. I hope the announcement comes positive and within the frame suggested. Sometimes these manufacturing plant announcements drag on seemingly forever (i.e. Kia Motors new assembly plant).

• 4 months later...

Update on old news: 6/29/2006 (Cleveland Daily Banner)

Cleveland was the last American option for expansion of a German based Polysilicon Manufacturing plant (solar panels), however Wacker Chemical Corp of Germany has decided to expand their plant in Burghausen Germany causing Bradley County to miss out on a $685 million project that would have meant 650 jobs in the Hiwassee Industrial Park at exit 33 near Charleston, TN in north Bradley County.

Some new info concerning the same area: 7/11/2006 (Cleveland Daily Banner)

The Cleveland/ Bradley Chamber of Commerce has come before the Bradley County Commission on behalf of General Electric (GE ) requesting a 10 year $1 million dollar tax abatement as an incentive towards GE locating a new manufacturing facility in north Bradley County in the Hiwassee Industrial Park property off exit 33 at I-75.

The plans are for GE to build a $30 million 850,000 sq ft building while creating around 250 new jobs.

No word on what the plant will manufacture

I tell ya what, with Bradley County missing out on 650 jobs with Wacker Polysilicon deciding to stay in Germany it sure makes it a little easier to know that 250 jobs could still be on the way soon via GE.

I did read that Wacker was looking heavily at the Hiwassee Industrial Park because of its proximity to Olin and Arch Chemical just a couple of miles down the road which would have provided the chlorine, caustic and hydrogen gas, which are all used in the Polysilicon manufacturing process. That makes me wonder if GE is looking to locate to the same area for maybe some similar reasons...

Update on old news: 6/29/2006 (Cleveland Daily Banner)

Cleveland was the last American option for expansion of a German based Polysilicon Manufacturing plant (solar panels), however Wacker Chemical Corp of Germany has decided to expand their plant in Burghausen Germany causing Bradley County to miss out on a $685 million project that would have meant 650 jobs in the Hiwassee Industrial Park at exit 33 near Charleston, TN in north Bradley County.

Some new info concerning the same area: 7/11/2006 (Cleveland Daily Banner)

The Cleveland/ Bradley Chamber of Commerce has come before the Bradley County Commission on behalf of General Electric (GE ) requesting a 10 year $1 million dollar tax abatement as an incentive towards GE locating a new manufacturing facility in north Bradley County in the Hiwassee Industrial Park property off exit 33 at I-75.

The plans are for GE to build a $30 million 850,000 sq ft building while creating around 250 new jobs.

No word on what the plant will manufacture

I tell ya what, with Bradley County missing out on 650 jobs with Wacker Polysilicon deciding to stay in Germany it sure makes it a little easier to know that 250 jobs could still be on the way soon via GE.

I did read that Wacker was looking heavily at the Hiwassee Industrial Park because of its proximity to Olin and Arch Chemical just a couple of miles down the road which would have provided the chlorine, caustic and hydrogen gas, which are all used in the Polysilicon manufacturing process. That makes me wonder if GE is looking to locate to the same area for maybe some similar reasons

• 5 weeks later...

It look like the GE distribution center is going to be a go here in Bradley County off Exit 33. Last word is 250-300 employees, 850,000 sq ft building and a total of about $30 million in investment. Cleveland Utilities is going to have to bring in some big water lines (16 inch) to the site GE is looking at, but other than that I think most things are currently in place and the project should be officially announced in the next few weeks

It look like the GE distribution center is going to be a go here in Bradley County off Exit 33. Last word is 250-300 employees, 850,000 sq ft building and a total of about $30 million in investment. Cleveland Utilities is going to have to bring in some big water lines (16 inch) to the site GE is looking at, but other than that I think most things are currently in place and the project should be officially announced in the next few weeks

Excellent news along with the Sky Angel news. Is the GE Distribution center a 100% lock? If so, when will they break ground?

• 1 month later...

Tuesday 9/26/2006 marked the official groundbreaking of the new GE lighting distribution center for the Cleveland Bradley County area. With GE entering the local market with a facility that brings our total number of Fortune 500 companies with facilities located in Bradley County back up to 15 after loosing Honeywell a couple of years ago.

I was a little bored so I decided to compile a list of all the Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies with operations inside of Cleveland and Bradley County.

Fortune 500 Companies

Total number of Fortune 500 companies: 15

Total employment 6,956

Fortune 1000 Companies

Total number of Fortune 1000 companies: 3

Total employment 304

Fortune 500+1000 companies: 18

Total employment 7,260

ADM Milling (Archer Daniels Midland Company)

Wheat flower and Animal feed

21 employees

www.admworld.com

Duracell Global Business Management Group (A division of Proctor and Gamble)

Alkaline Storage Batteries

525 Employees

www.duracell.com

Eaton Electrical (Cutler-Hammer products)

Switchgear and Switchboard apparatus (Electrical Control Equipment)

185 Employees

www.eatonelectric.com

Eaton Hydraulics

Motor Vehicle supplier and new parts (Package and distribute industrial and automotive parts)

130 Employees

www.hydraulics.eaton.com

Flowers Bakery of Cleveland LLC

Snack Cakes

300 Employees

www.flowersfoods.com

Georgia Pacific Corporation

Corrugated boxes

170 Employees

www.gp.com

Johnson Coca-Cola Bottling Company

Bottled and canned soft drinks, carbonated waters and syrup

320 Employees

www.cokecce.com

Leggett & Platt INC.

Convertible bed and other furniture components

20 Employees

www.leggett.com

Masterfoods USA (A Mars Incorporated Company)

Cookies and Candies (M&M

Archived