Guess Street building

gs3

Anybody know the history behind this building? It's on Guess Street in the West End....not too great of an area. Looks like it was part of an old mill village. I think people are currently living in it, but it doesn't look in the best shape. Imagine this building redone! :thumbsup: Great architecture and great bones. Any info would be appreciated.

CIMG4576.jpg

CIMG4577.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are pretty cool apartments inside. i have known a couple of different people who have lived there. Super tall ceilings, hard wood floors etc. The building could have something to do with Mills Mill which is right next door. That whole area could do with some revitalization. It's a pretty depressed area.

If you follow down the street the next mills is now offices and then the next mill after that was converted to Apartments like 20-30 years ago and is currently vacant.

Guess St. and Green Ave. and a cut through to the West End and Ball Park are seeing greater traffic and thre for improvements may be in order.

109395256_853f30cef9_o.jpg

This building was originally built as a community center for the mill village around Mills Mill. Just around the corner is what used to be Mills Mill Baptist Church, also built for the mill workers. It is currently Emmanuel Baptist Church.

Great photo sc smitty!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Do you have other historic photos from that era?

I scanned the photo from this book:

"Remembering Greenville: Photographs From the Cox Collection"

It has a lot of interesting photographs of Greenville from the first half of the 20th century. I bought mine online, but I've also seen it for sale at the Mast General Store. Maybe we should start a historic photos thread. I also have some old postcards of downtown Greenville and some of its old buildings.

There are at least two copies in the Greenville Library. One in general circulation, the other(s) in the South Carolina room. There are some great pics.

If you want to see some great old photos, go to the South Carolina Room and ask to see the photo collections. You can pick from a list of subjects and they will bring you boxes out of the back room. I spent a few hours looking at photos and snapping pictures of them with my camera. :thumbsup:

Maybe we should start a historic photos thread. I also have some old postcards of downtown Greenville and some of its old buildings.

Great idea sc smitty! :thumbsup: Alot of people on this board are interested in the history of Greenville. Not growing up here, I know very little about it's history, but find the photos I've seen fascinating and would love to see more. Do you have some historic photos you can use to start the thread?

That's a beautiful building, which may be hidden a bit at the moment, but the potential is there.

Thanks for the info on this building. I have often wondered about who lives there based on the cars parked outside, which don't quite match the surround neighborhood's clientele. I always pictured the insider as being cool loft apartments, but the outside was left crummy to avoid vandals. With the city's push to revitalize Green Avenue, this won't stay dingy for long.

I hate to be a party pooper, but any photo taken after 1925 is subject to copyright laws (unless of course you took it), and unless you have permission, it would break the UP copyright rules. :cry:

Well thanks for raining on the parade NYT! :D

So unless a person took said photo, the photo can not be posted?

Archived