Mast arms need street name signs on top

digital_sandlapper

Folks, I am frustrated by the fact that street name signs atop intersection mast arms are not more utilized in Columbia or most cities across the state. EVERY mast arm should have them plastered on top, and every hanging light should have them hanging next to it. WHY isn't this done?? It blows the mind! Every visitor, not to mention residents, could benefit from these helpful and informative pieces of steel. How many times have you taken the wrong turn, even in your hometown, that one of these could have prevented?

I have to constantly apologize whenever I have to give directions to out-of-towners, especially those from cities that DO have these signs. Savannah is the best example (isn't it the best example for a lot of urban design principles?) My Savannah friends don't realize that their city is pretty unique in providing these easy-to-implement municipal devices. When they were here recently, they almost got hit slowing down to attempt reading the tiny corner street signs (those that existed, that is)! I had to remind them that they are spoiled living in Savannah with such thoughtful amenities, and that Charleston, Columbia, and most other cities are not as thoughtful . . I guess. ?:huh:?

Let's change this--can we? Perhaps if we got a good string going, the cities or DOT or whoever will actually read it!

What do y'all think? Are there other cities in S.C. that DO have these? Aiken, perhaps?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with you. Rock Hill has started using these on Cherry Road, which was part of a general streetscaping. They look like the ones out in Orange County, CA where the signs are illuminated hanging down from the mast arm between the traffic signals themselves, complete with the city logo on them as well. One of my other gripes is that since Columbia has adopted a new logo, it need to be reflected on street signs and other types of signs, especially as you enter the city; the old skyline logo is still being utilized. Downtown also needs center city signage, much like what has been implemented in downtown Greenville.

Folks, I am frustrated by the fact that street name signs atop intersection mast arms are not more utilized in Columbia or most cities across the state. EVERY mast arm should have them plastered on top, and every hanging light should have them hanging next to it. WHY isn't this done?? It blows the mind! Every visitor, not to mention residents, could benefit from these helpful and informative pieces of steel. How many times have you taken the wrong turn, even in your hometown, that one of these could have prevented?

I have to constantly apologize whenever I have to give directions to out-of-towners, especially those from cities that DO have these signs. Savannah is the best example (isn't it the best example for a lot of urban design principles?) My Savannah friends don't realize that their city is pretty unique in providing these easy-to-implement municipal devices. When they were here recently, they almost got hit slowing down to attempt reading the tiny corner street signs (those that existed, that is)! I had to remind them that they are spoiled living in Savannah with such thoughtful amenities, and that Charleston, Columbia, and most other cities are not as thoughtful . . I guess. ?:huh:?

Let's change this--can we? Perhaps if we got a good string going, the cities or DOT or whoever will actually read it!

What do y'all think? Are there other cities in S.C. that DO have these? Aiken, perhaps?

Yes, Columbia does this. The mast arms are not there, but those blue signs are very well placed around town, albeit a bit faded in some cases.

Spartanburg has started the process of installing mast arms at the major intersections around the city with the road signs in the center. All of the new road signs have very large lettering, regardless of whether they are centered or not. This is done in Greenville, as krazee said. Charleston too.

Archived