....And the condos keep coming

Bears

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a wow factor! A really terrific looking building. I like the color--looks like the Gilmore apts. in midtown.

030706_focus.jpg

Gus's is so downhome and funky, it's hard to imagine it across the street from $600,000 condos. Hope the Gus's people own the property where their restaurant is.

Gus's would always have a funky clientele too--various downtown characters and so on. Just hope downtown doesn't lose that sort of style and ambience that made it special for the past ten years.

Words do not describe how cool and fitting this project is for Memphis. That structure will fit in great with downtown and simply be an amazing IMO. I really like this project A LOT! I wish more structures were built to be as architectually fitting and nice as this one.

I like the color--looks like the Gilmore apts. in midtown.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the Gilmore.

My girlfriend works for the architectural firm doing this building. I'll have to tell her what a great response it's getting here!

We need a few of these to pop up in East Memphis. Varying styles would be nice.

I'm not sure if there's a connection between the growth of high-end condos downtown and the lack of them in East Memphis, but it's been said that entertainment in Midtown--bars and restaurants and so forth--has suffered some because of the fact that since downtown is such a hot destination, it has to some extent, sucked the money out of other areas.

Downtown's pop. growth is something on the order of over 10%/yr which is the highest in the metro. Perhaps the condo money is just being spent downtown instead of East Memphis.

Frankly, rather than East Memphis, I'd rather see some high-rise condos built in midtown, which is full of mid-rise, 12 story apartments, but nothing new since the 70's.

Frankly, rather than East Memphis, I'd rather see some high-rise condos built in midtown, which is full of mid-rise, 12 story apartments, but nothing new since the 70's.

Sleepy, I have to agree with you that Midtown would be better for high-rise units than East Memphis. The only place that they would fit in in East Memphis would be along the Poplar Avenue Corridor and it is already one of the worst places to drive in Memphis without adding to its traffic.

One thing that came to mind for me with the Mirabella, isn't this going to be on the back-side of the new proposed One Beale? Are these people going to keep their river views. Someone who knows better, let me know if I'm thinking the wrong location.

One Beale is on Beale right across from that mid-rise condo that used to be called Wagner Place.

The Mirabella is several blocks further south across from Gus's Fried Chicken.

Sleepy, I know where One Beale is. I don't know where Gus's is. I was just trying to determine where Mirabella was by the address. Can you give cross streets for Gus's? Cross streets I'll know.

Sleepy, I know where One Beale is. I don't know where Gus's is. I was just trying to determine where Mirabella was by the address. Can you give cross streets for Gus's? Cross streets I'll know.

http://tinyurl.com/kmlmj

Here's a google maps link.

I may have missed something with earlier buildings, but the most interesting thing to me is the number of "old" Memphis names involved in this. I'm sure Montgomery Martin has built condos downtown, but the money behind it and the development is pretty much established East Memphians. Either catching the bandwagon a little late or they are validating downtown. I hope its the latter but I'm afraid of overbuilding. The project looks gorgeous (and will also have a view down on Pitt Hyde's family office HQ).

http://tinyurl.com/kmlmj

Here's a google maps link.

I may have missed something with earlier buildings, but the most interesting thing to me is the number of "old" Memphis names involved in this. I'm sure Montgomery Martin has built condos downtown, but the money behind it and the development is pretty much established East Memphians. Either catching the bandwagon a little late or they are validating downtown. I hope its the latter but I'm afraid of overbuilding. The project looks gorgeous (and will also have a view down on Pitt Hyde's family office HQ).

Thanks, Pontotoc and Front. Got it.

Archived