Peninsula Town Center Progress

PeninsulaKiddo

The parking garage along the top of the property and the JC Penney are already under construction. The JC Penney which is a steel building/concrete panel structure is probably about 20 - 30% complete. Our company is doing the metal stud design for the building and they are expecting to start metal stud work within the next couple weeks. This project is full steam ahead. The burlington coat factory store that had just moved into the mall is moving out within two months. Their building which is about 50% complete now across from the Power plant project will be ready for them shortly. After J.C. Penney move and Burlington coat move, the complete mall will be coming down.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I really hope Military Circle jumps on this. That mall is truly an eyesore but it does have nice floors inside. It just needs a facelift and much much better selection of stores inside the mall. It has potential because it has 3 strong anchor stores, hotel and movies but its like management has let that mall go down terribly. Even Chick-fil-A left the mall. Coliseum was ok to me but was getting like Military Circle and in need of renovations. At least they are trying to improve. I heard they going to have alot of upscale stores in this new town center. I wonder could we sustain those stores because some did leave MacArthur Center and Lynnhaven.

• 1 year later...

Here is a nice article on PTC. I pass by it on the freeway every now and then and it really does look. nice. I only wish Patrick Henry Place could have followed in its footsteps. :(

Relative to its status as the largest metropolitan area between Atlanta and Washington, D.C., Hampton Roads, Virginia, has flown somewhat under the radar when it comes to headline-making retail and mixed-use developments. Development partners Steiner + Associates and Mall Properties are hoping to change that in dramatic fashion this summer with the grand opening of an ambitious new mixed-use development. Peninsula Town Center, a project that the developers describe as a

• 6 months later...

well it has to be better than the unplanned mess that use to be in that area...this is definitely one of those projects I havent heard much about, but I am guessing this is mostly just a glorified mall redevelopment that has tacked on the name town center, but has no real sign of growth once it is completed.

well it has to be better than the unplanned mess that use to be in that area...this is definitely one of those projects I havent heard much about, but I am guessing this is mostly just a glorified mall redevelopment that has tacked on the name town center, but has no real sign of growth once it is completed.

The development is owned by the owners of the mall. There actually are plans for future development and if you look at www.peninsulatowncenter.com at the site plan it shows future phases and parking garages. But essentially, yes once fully built out it is nothing more than a shopping center with residential, business and commercial interests interwoven together. However, this development has spawned the city to reimplement a street grid in the surrounding shopping center and talks of expanding the progress of town center across the street in to the old run down strip center have shown promise. Really, there is not difference between VB town center and Peninsula town center other than the fact that VB has taller towers. The demand for the height is just not there right now in Hampton.

• 4 months later...

http://www.dailypress.com/business/dp-biz_town-center_0120jan20,0,7220630.story

HAMPTON — Peninsula Town Center officials on Tuesday announced 43 stores that signed leases for the development and started a countdown to the March 11 grand opening.

Six of the stores or restaurants are new to Virginia. Four are new to Hampton Roads, and 11 are new to the Peninsula. Many of them plan to open in time for the March 11 grand opening.

"This community has a lot of potential," Hampton City Manager Mary Bunting said, "and this will enable us to position ourselves as a destination retail center."

Archived