Peninsula Town Center Progress

PeninsulaKiddo

City Center is an urban infill project in the middle of an industrial/research/business park. Does it connect to Port Warrick or to Patrick Henry Mall? You say it does, but is it truly walkable? Or do you have to drive because there are gaps between the centers? I'm not disparging it; that's just how it's designed.

Peninsula TC is surrounded by parking lots isolating it. VB TC, though, has stores on Indy and the Blvd. It this respect it can connect to Pembroke Mall, Pembroke Office Park, and City Walk. TC and City Center are both very successful projects, however they are still different in atmosphere. Peninsula TC will also be a successful project but it does not connect.

I live in the beach area of Newport Beach. City Hall is down the street. There are two-story offices, stores, and restaurants within a couple block walk. There're two grocery stores and parks that I can walk to. Most people walk or bike to places. Up the road in the center of town is the area people consider downtown Newport. It has 15 story buildings and a medium-sized open air mall all interlaced with parking lots and garages. There are a couple hotels and some condos. However, it doesn't connect to the neighborhoods adjacent to it. Instead of walking over, people drive. It is isolated.

Multi-story buildings don't define an urban area. Connectivity and walkability makes an area urban.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you look at the way the Jefferson corridor is being redeveloped, urbanity is taking root. Sidewalks are being enlarged, crosswalks installed, etc. Not to mention that shuttle trolleys are being set up to link up City Center, Port Warwick, and the Mall permanently. Between CNU and Port Warwick there already is that kind of connectivity, and it's only getting better. Like I said before, the whole project is infill and is trying to replace a suburban development scheme with one that is more "connected" as you say.

Besides, you said that it was isolated and didn't have room to grow ... so being an urban area is a requisite for having room to grow? confusing.

Well if you look at the way the Jefferson corridor is being redeveloped, urbanity is taking root. Sidewalks are being enlarged, crosswalks installed, etc. Not to mention that shuttle trolleys are being set up to link up City Center, Port Warwick, and the Mall permanently. Between CNU and Port Warwick there already is that kind of connectivity, and it's only getting better. Like I said before, the whole project is infill and is trying to replace a suburban development scheme with one that is more "connected" as you say.

Besides, you said that it was isolated and didn't have room to grow ... so being an urban area is a requisite for having room to grow? confusing.

Yes, three or four blocks isn't going to do it. Newport News, needs to start working on buying property all the way up to Jefferson get rid of the Days Inn, and bring loftis blvd. across jefferson right into town center. By doing that you could connect the two centers, and expand city centers growth towards port warwick. Otherwise, it will be just like hoobo says, you drive to the center instead of people walking. Newport News, has done a good job so far, but they need to continue the momentum and connect the two areas, and i don't just mean by bus.

• 4 weeks later...

If you look on the dailypress.com you can see a small rendering.

We have a rendering of it already in this thread. I just posted it because it was a new article on it. The link shows the rendering of what they want it to look like. I wonder if it differs from that of the dailpress pics?

You know, I've tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. I was thinking that perhaps I was too harsh in my judgement of this project earlier, but honestly guys, I'm not feeling this one. :unsure:

21847010.jpg

Get rid of the streets, add small parks, fountains, and street vendors like in new york. This could be a great place to spend the day. Maybe slow things down alittle and smell the roses.

You know, I've tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. I was thinking that perhaps I was too harsh in my judgement of this project earlier, but honestly guys, I'm not feeling this one. :unsure:

21847010.jpg

I think that when people hear "town center" they automatically assume what virginia beach and newport news has done. I think they need to get rid of this term and call it a retail district. Hampton is not trying to create a city center. It already has one. Which is doing just fine. They are just trying to renovate the retail district from big box malls and outparcels to a more urban walkable lifestyle.

I think that when people hear "town center" they automatically assume what virginia beach and newport news has done. I think they need to get rid of this term and call it a retail district. Hampton is not trying to create a city center. It already has one. Which is doing just fine. They are just trying to renovate the retail district from big box malls and outparcels to a more urban walkable lifestyle.

I agree. High rises in Hampton should go up in its downtown not its uptown. Judging from other developments by this company (I forgot its name but links are posted in this thread) and by building heights, there will likely be loft office space and even apartments. A pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use design is much better than the suburban mall. Connecting the new Coliseum Mall with the Coliseum and surrounding developments and with the Power Plant will make this area walkable and urban. You don't need high-rises to do that.

Yeah.

This development, IMHO, is pretty nice as far as I can tell. I wouldn't mind something like that in NN. It's not a TC like VB's, obviously, but it doesn't have to be.

I should note that the Hampton study for developing their DT has already decided that low-rise is the way to go. Seems they've pretty much shunned high rise development all around. Oh well.

Yeah.

This development, IMHO, is pretty nice as far as I can tell. I wouldn't mind something like that in NN. It's not a TC like VB's, obviously, but it doesn't have to be.

I should note that the Hampton study for developing their DT has already decided that low-rise is the way to go. Seems they've pretty much shunned high rise development all around. Oh well.

Part of there master plan is devoted to building a second office tower on top of the parking garage for the 14 story tower that already exist. In fact, I drove by there the other day and they had already ripped off all of the brick exterior to the parking garage by selective demolition. Makes you wonder if they are already going ahead with the second office tower there. But yes, most of what downtown is trying to accomplish is to bring a density that does not exist because of vacant lots. But in the future if demands yeilds I wouldn't put any more towers out of the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit, it looks better in the closeups and from the different angles and street level renderings. I think this might actually grow on me. It the last overhead diagram it even looks like they're trying to achieve some level of urbanity.

Here's the developers website. If you click on the "model photo" section you can see even more model photos.

In the "project description" it says:

The Peninsula Town Center, a redevelopment of the Coliseum Mall, turns an enclosed mall into an outdoor meeting place with new life and new energy. Its architecture, mix of restaurants and specialty stores, make The Peninsula Town Center the only "town center" in the region.

The "only" town center in the region? Are these guys sure of that?

Steiner

Yeah the website said a spring start time and it should be open by fall '08. Once they build the ped. bridge over I-64 to connect the Power Plant and Coliseum Central it's going to be a hopping section of town.

I'm glad to see things like this happen. It means that we are a successful region as a whole. Vdogg I will have to agree with you about it growing on me too! I'm still a little bit skeptical about it but I would check it out when its finished.

Judging from their slogan ("Developers of New Town Centers"), I think they are using 'New Town Center' as a branded, marketable offering as opposed to it being a new (little n) town center. Of course I could be entirely wrong too.

This is a great looking project though. That's a lot of new development ... I wonder if the Peninsula can support it all? I wonder if the retail will feature much of the same stuff that Coliseum has now except in a more pleasant atmosphere or if they're going to be going straight for the expensive stuff. It'll be hard to justify opening upscale retail when City Center has already landed a very strong upscale mix only a few miles down the road.

Gosh I really like the way this architecture looks. Reminds me of that city in the North Pole in Polar Express. Heh.

Archived