Peninsula off-topic

wrldcoupe4

Lord, these threads are all over the place. :lol: Half the NN develpment thread was Hampton developments and half the Hampton Development thread had NN stuff in it and there are some threads where I just don't know what the hell was going on. This may take me a bit longer than expected because I have to perform surgery on each individual thread to see what should go where. It looks like the off-topic bulldozer neglected this area for quite some time so we're due for a little revamping. :)

fight the good fight, vdogg. we're all behind you.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah good job. What I would really love to see is another mall on the Penn

I really don't think that the pennisula needs another mall. I would wait and see what the market looks like after Hampton redevelops the Colesium Mall. I think they need to look at more urban market places than malls but thats just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Well, City Center is developing a rather substantial retail component with close to thirty tenants, so one could argue that it is an "open air" mall.

There is a new retail complex planned for York County next to Water Country called the "Marquis" or some form of the word. It is another open air "lifestyle" center modeled after Short Pump and Stony Point in Richmond. I cannot remember where I read it, but I did find the site on the internent and it looked very impressive

Well, City Center is developing a rather substantial retail component with close to thirty tenants, so one could argue that it is an "open air" mall.

There is a new retail complex planned for York County next to Water Country called the "Marquis" or some form of the word. It is another open air "lifestyle" center modeled after Short Pump and Stony Point in Richmond. I cannot remember where I read it, but I did find the site on the internent and it looked very impressive

Hopefully you can find a rendering of it! I would really love to see it!

Now there is. :lol: I have noticed all the forums cooling off.

Actually, Va. Beach picked up slightly recently. Norfolk cooled down slightly but has picked back up a little with news of Trader, Granby, and Spectrum. I am a little disappointed that there hasn't been more convo in here though. I know i'm not completely done but something could've been said. Everyone was clamoring for a new subforum then as soon as its created they all wander off. :lol: I'm glad I didn't just do NN only though. If it's this quiet with 3 cities in here then I can't imagine how quiet it would be with just one. Hopefully it's a fluke. I think what confused a lot of people is that most of the conversation in the HR forum, was on general HR stuff, which is why that forum was so busy.

Actually, Va. Beach picked up slightly recently. Norfolk cooled down slightly but has picked back up a little with news of Trader, Granby, and Spectrum. I am a little disappointed that there hasn't been more convo in here though. I know i'm not completely done but something could've been said. Everyone was clamoring for a new subforum then as soon as its created they all wander off. :lol: I'm glad I didn't just do NN only though. If it's this quiet with 3 cities in here then I can't imagine how quiet it would be with just one. Hopefully it's a fluke. I think what confused a lot of people is that most of the conversation in the HR forum, was on general HR stuff, which is why that forum was so busy.

I think that there hasn't been much news latetly. Norfolk is always trying to keep everything secret. Vabeach is having trouble shaking the whole BRAC thing so I think this will pick up later on.

The 2006 Parade of Homes will be in York County this year, in fact, quite close to my home (same neighborhood): It'll be centered around a new cul de sac in the Woods of Tabb neighborhood. The homes are slated to break ground soon and be constructed concurrently on 15 or 16 brand new parcels with completion by the first week in December. The completed homes will start in the low $600s.

• 3 weeks later...

NN State of the City is up for those interested.

In midtown, Port Warwick is almost completely built out and City Center has made what was a concept, a significant reality. Most of the retail shops will share a grand opening in April and the Marriott Hotel and Conference Center will open in early summer.

We have finalized a development agreement for Asheton that will allow 398 acres of City-owned land in Lee Hall to be transformed into an exciting, mixed-use village. (:huh: that slipped under the radar screen, was this mentioned here before?) Asheton will certainly become a signature development in the northern part of our community, much like Port Warwick has in midtown.

NN State of the City is up for those interested.

In midtown, Port Warwick is almost completely built out and City Center has made what was a concept, a significant reality. Most of the retail shops will share a grand opening in April and the Marriott Hotel and Conference Center will open in early summer.

We have finalized a development agreement for Asheton that will allow 398 acres of City-owned land in Lee Hall to be transformed into an exciting, mixed-use village. (:huh: that slipped under the radar screen, was this mentioned here before?) Asheton will certainly become a signature development in the northern part of our community, much like Port Warwick has in midtown.

Yeah, we mentioned this before. The plans originally were for another port warwick style development. However, plans have been scaled back and we are pretty much looking at mainly just a residential development.

From what I understand total investment is supposed to be like a half billion dollars. A lot of residential, yes, but there was also supposed to be an urban village around the old Lee Hall train station that was moved and is being renovated. I've heard it characterized by planners as being a "fourth leg" in the historic triangle.

From what I understand total investment is supposed to be like a half billion dollars. A lot of residential, yes, but there was also supposed to be an urban village around the old Lee Hall train station that was moved and is being renovated. I've heard it characterized by planners as being a "fourth leg" in the historic triangle.

Lee Hall train station has not moved and is tied up because of money issues. I know this because we are the engineers moving the train station. However, they have decided not to pick up the building and move. They plan to dismantle the building in sections and reassemble it closer to the Lee Hall Mansion. However, I have heard nothing of any plans for retail near this area, which would all but be impossible unless its much further down the road, or closer to Ashton development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You spoke of there being an "urban center" where the Lee Hall train station is located. The "urban center" of the Asheton Project will actually be located between Jefferson Blvd. and Crawford Rd. on the left hand side of Yorktown Rd. going towards York County. Even though Asheton will primarily be residential, there will still be enough room for more development in that area of Newport News. Asheton (I'm sure) will spur that development. I also wanted to give a history fact on the old Lee Hall train station. Some slaves were sold at that train station from the days of the slave trade. Most people don't know that and I hope that if or when it becomes part of the Lee Hall Plantation museum, that information will be there for educational purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived