Fort Monroe redevelopment

urbanfan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. When I get some time later this week, I'll check out the video. BTW, only 90 acres are vacant. 105 acres can be redeveloped. My first inclination would be towards offices and/or mixed-use, but I need to see the video before making a suggestion. If anyone hasn't visited the fort, I suggest you do. I did pre-9/11 so after touring the museum, I just walked around the parade grounds and rampart. It's a mile around, pretty impressive.

It certainly is a unique city. It's a large city (about 900,000) yet has a very quaint and laid-back air about it.

Just seeing those canals on the Fort Monroe redev site made me wonder if we could make fun/creative use of them. Russ has a point about historic preservation. I imagine the earthworks are preserved. Perhaps developing the far side of the canals is possible, who knows. I'd love to see a concept or strategic redevelopment plan. I think it would be a fun plan to work on.

It certainly is a unique city.  It's a large city (about 900,000) yet has a very quaint and laid-back air about it. 

Just seeing those canals on the Fort Monroe redev site made me wonder if we could make fun/creative use of them.  Russ has a point about historic preservation.  I imagine the earthworks are preserved.  Perhaps developing the far side of the canals is possible, who knows.  I'd love to see a concept or strategic redevelopment plan.  I think it would be a fun plan to work on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't trying to be a downer but from some of the reading they don't have much to work with or what they will be allowed to work with. I think it was only 90 acres of the total of 500 acres.

I wasn't trying to be a downer but from some of the reading they don't have much to work with or what they will be allowed to work with. I think it was only 90 acres of the total of 500 acres.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're right, though. I remember visiting Ft Monroe when I was a kid. In addition to the historic fort are some lovely old buildings near the waterfront, I think. BUT, I hope they're not trying to save the awful 1970s-era barracks and other ugly military buildings too!

I think you're right, though.  I remember visiting Ft Monroe when I was a kid.  In addition to the historic fort are some lovely old buildings near the waterfront, I think.  BUT, I hope they're not trying to save the awful 1970s-era barracks and other ugly military buildings too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what, I've been here almost all of my life and never have been there. And GO SKINS they beat the cowgirls! :rofl::thumbsup:

I think you're right, though.  I remember visiting Ft Monroe when I was a kid.  In addition to the historic fort are some lovely old buildings near the waterfront, I think.  BUT, I hope they're not trying to save the awful 1970s-era barracks and other ugly military buildings too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All of the barracks outside of the fort are as we speak being torn down. The 90 plus acres available refers to buildable land without any need for studies. The other 500 acres are buildable, they would just need more work because they are backfilled areas, much like norfolk's northwest side. Doesn't mean they can't build there, it will just take a little extra planning.

• 2 months later...

"That landscape, as Kearney describes it, would offer parks, neighborhoods and a commercial presence that leans more toward corporate headquarters than convenience stores or shopping districts."

Interesting :D . That's a great find Coupe, thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Didn't know if anyone else knew this, but I was told that whoever owns the land at Fort Monroe doesn't own the buildings. It's two different entities.

Wonder what that means for redevelopment?

Money talks and bull sh__ walks. Fort Monroe is to valuable to let something like that to stand in a developers way. If Donald Trump is interested in this developement I have no worries.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not too much detail like i thought they would present. I know its early and its 5 years before the army departs and then clean up begins but i would have thought they would have more detail. I do think there should be some preservation of the historical buildings. I also think the army should leave some of the things donated to them that pertains to this region for a museum.

If they want to stay low-rise then something like a more urban version of the Kemah Boardwalk near Houston would be a great way to draw from the tourist base as well as residential. It would make it a place for people to go to and not just past.

Just in case everyone knows. This picture shown actually shows the base as it presently is, this is not a rendering of new projects. This part of the base will almost assuredly stay exactly the way it is with very little change because most of the homes are protected because of the history. However, the are in question is just above the moat where the land jets to the left and connects to buckroe beach. That is where the new options will be considered.

Archived