NH claims best-in-nation award again

NH claims best-in-nation award again

State snags "Most Livable" designation for third straight year

From an urban perspective, NH has very little to offer, but this does have its benefits, as the state has been able to capitalize on its largely suburban nature. Southern NH, home to about 80% of the state's population, is very convenient to Boston and is largely a suburban environment, allowing the state to enjoy suburban quality of life benefits, without having to face most urban problems associated with cities. The state's economy is the fastest growing in New England, and taxes are very low, particularly for the Northeast. The schools are generally very good, even in the cities, and the crime rate is among the nation's lowest. Residents are generally wealthy and healthy, and draws like the mountains, lakes, beaches, and a major city are all within an hour's drive. All of this has allowed the state to capture awards like this one fairly regularly.

Of course, all this does come with the one sacrifice of not having a legitimate urban center to enjoy within the state's borders (Manchester is still definitely a work in progress) making it all the more intolerable for most of the folks on this site. Also, not a particularly exciting place for young people.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up in NH and loved every minute of it. The past few years I've lived in urban settings, but I wouldn't trade a childhood in NH for a childhood here. I'd say NH is a great place to grow up in and retire to.

Of course, all this does come with the one sacrifice of not having a legitimate urban center to enjoy within the state's borders (Manchester is still definitely a work in progress) making it all the more intolerable for most of the folks on this site. Also, not a particularly exciting place for young people.

Manchester is attracting the younger people. It is rather urban IMO. Its not a Boston or a New York though.

Manchester is like Worcester, except Manchester is cheaper, in NH, and has a great Airport.

Archived