13,000 application for 148 Nissan jobs

smeagolsfree

I thought this was almost funny that there were 13,000 job applicants for such few jobs. I guess there are a lot of the California employees moving here number one and number two I suppose there is no shortage of qualified people to fill those positions. As long as the jobs keep coming to Middle TN then there will be people to fill them.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...1177/COUNTY0902

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And in spite of that, the economy continues to boom!

I don't think this headline says anything negative about our local job market. The top story in this market is that Nissan is coming to town, so you've probably got 12,900 people who have good jobs already, but want to see if they can do better with Nissan. What's wrong with that? That's how capitalism works!

But I doubt very manay of those 13k+ applications are from the unemployed.

And my feeling on a living wage is you typically earn what you work for. If the minimum wage is a living wage, where is my motivation to work hard when I know I could sweep floors ang get the same pay?

For the types of jobs listed, finance, engineering, and data analysis, it's not unusual at all for a company to sift through a 100 or more applications for each job filled before deciding to begin the interview process. The company will be highly selective and will be looking for a very specific set of skills for each job they fill. It's most likely that 90% or more of the jobs that open up due to people deciding not to make the move from LA, will be filled by applicants from outside the Nashville area. In other words, just about all the 1300 people that will be working at Nissan headquarters in Nashville will be new to the area.

You are so right about that, Hank. As my field is Labor Law, I can attest that this is accurate. Additionally, it's safe to assume that these applicants are from all over the world. Furthermore, most of them aren't even qualified for the positions, but have decided to shoot for the moon in their quest for a change. An overwhelming majority of these people are already well paid in their respective fields.

FYI. I waited on a girl yesterday who works for Nissan. she works in the HR department and is going to train many of the new hires. she told me that many people have still not decided whether they will make the move or not(she said she will not). they have until april 1st to make the final decision, and after that date they are expecting an additional 150 or so jobs to become avaliable.

....on a side note, i tried to entice her to stay(she was quite pretty :wub: )but she said that even though she has fallen in love with Nashville she couldnt leave her life in LA. strike out! <_<

Archived