When are we getting a Trader Joe's?

drinsema-sybenga

The New York Times has an interesting article on Trader Joe's coming to New York. It takes an inside look at this fiercely private company. Everytime I am in the West Chicago area TJs is a must stop, and I would love for them to move a little closer. I heard a rumour that the make site decisions based on Bon Appetit subscriptions which was almost enough to get me to subscribe. Anyone else will to launch a subscription campaign to "lobby" this retailer?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/dining/08joes.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a great building for them in Heritage Hill, where the old Clark's grocery store was located at Cherry and State. That property has seen a couple of owners recently, and Trader Joes would make a great addition to the neighborhood and city!

I was just in Tucson last weekend, and stopped at one of their several TJ locations - when the cashier asked for my zip code, he wondered where it was from and asked if we had any here. Upon hearing that we have NONE in West Michigan, he joked that he would enter my zip code into their system for the rest of the day to help us get one.

I don't know if that actually works, but I'm kind of hoping so!

I had no idea what Trader Joes was, now I'm more convinced that this place would do well with suburban communities... Someone correct me.

I do not think so Rizz...I have been in several Trader Joes. It is kind of like Martha's Vineyard on steroids but with the added bonus of VERY reasonable prices. Unlike a chain store their buildings are not cookie cutter. They have done some incredible adaptive re-use of buildings in urban settings. I actually think one would do extremely well in Grand Rapids. Even a downtown location might work if the parking issue could get solved.

My friend has been working for Trader Joes in Chicago for about 4 years. He said it has more to do with their supply chain then market studies as to why GR doesn't have one. Apparently all their food comes in from either NewYork or California and Chicago is either the farthest east or west that particular foods make it. Anyway, I know this doesn't make sense. But the point he was making was until Chicago becomes it's own "hub" or has it's own local suppliers, GR wouldn't get a store. That all may have changed in the last couple years, but it was one of the reasons GR wasn't being looked at in the past.

I'm game to subscribe to Bon Appetit! There's a Trader Joe's in Birmingham, Michigan.

There are five Trader Joe's in Metro Detroit. Including Royal Oak which is close to Birmingham. In Birmingham we have Papa Joe's a fabulous upscale gourmet market. Alas, I will miss Papa Joe's, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods when I move to GR.

I have some friends that drive out to the Troy location every couple of weeks to shop there because they like it so much.

And Bwindi, if we've got them on both sides of us, how long could it be before they'll consider GR? Hopefully not long :)

I have some friends that drive out to the Troy location every couple of weeks to shop there because they like it so much.

While I don't drive to the Troy just for Trader Joe's, Papa Joe's and Whole Foods...I do stop buy if I am in the area. They are all great stores!! I do drive to East Lansing and Ann Arbor for Indian food! Sorry if I just dissed our three Indian restaurants here in GR but I can't help it.

Back to the subject at hand, I could see a Trader Joe's in the Eastown, Cherry Hill, Heritage Hill area at this point. I think it would do well. A Whole Foods would might be nice just north or just south of the city center.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

I do not think so Rizz...I have been in several Trader Joes. It is kind of like Martha's Vineyard on steroids but with the added bonus of VERY reasonable prices. Unlike a chain store their buildings are not cookie cutter. They have done some incredible adaptive re-use of buildings in urban settings. I actually think one would do extremely well in Grand Rapids. Even a downtown location might work if the parking issue could get solved.

Thank you for the clerification Dave.

They have a nice store in Ann arbor. It's near the end of fraternity row, so it's not too far for me to walk. I like to buy 2 buck chuck for my parents. It's good wine...actually it's more like $3 a bottle here due to shipping costs.

I agree a TJ would be great in the downtown area. People would definitely go downtown just to shop there. It's one those "have to shop there" places. I'm actually very surprised GR does not have one, given the size of your metro population. It will come soon, no doubt.

Trader Joe's is wonderful.

It is a California-based company that serves as our family's main grocery store.

We buy nearly all of our cereal, all of our wine, cheese, most of our salads, most of our snacks, milk, yogurt, frozen fruit, etc. etc. there.

I thought that there was a TJ's in Ann Arbor -- it would be a perfect fit there. And on Heritage Hill.

And, by the way -- "Two Buck Chuck" is abysmal wine. Though from what I have seen of Michigan wine prices, you guys are paying way more than we are for some pretty cheap stuff. ($7 for Yellow Tail? It is $5 at TJ's),

I really think that Grand Rapids has made itself into an incredible city. Having come from the suburbs of sprawling Detroit I really appreciate all that Grand Rapids has to offer!

That being said, I don't really see where Grand Rapids has been all that inviting or hospitable to outsiders. While I love the locally owned stores everywhere, it appears that all attempts that have been made by franchises have been shot down. Look at the hotel issues, if it's not Van Andel owned it isn't happening. the only reason there is a Jimmy Johns downtown is because it is a local couple from East that opened it. We have NO sports bar downtown except for inside the Amway, why? Furthermore all franchises have been sequestered along 28th street or the Beltline because the city isn't making it possible for them to come downtown. I know for a fact that Uno's Pizza tried to open downtown but the city wouldn't accept the design. Why? So before we start blaming Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for ignoring the city, maybe we should ask the city why they are not trying to bring these businesses here.

If there was a market, don't you think a wise investor, or any investor with market research would have already siezed it to take profits? Sometimes I'm don't get how these things work. If we can support all this cool stuff how come we don't have it already?

Archived