When are we getting a Trader Joe's?

drinsema-sybenga

I really think that Grand Rapids has made itself into an incredible city. Having come from the suburbs of sprawling Detroit I really appreciate all that Grand Rapids has to offer!

That being said, I don't really see where Grand Rapids has been all that inviting or hospitable to outsiders. While I love the locally owned stores everywhere, it appears that all attempts that have been made by franchises have been shot down. Look at the hotel issues, if it's not Van Andel owned it isn't happening. the only reason there is a Jimmy Johns downtown is because it is a local couple from East that opened it. We have NO sports bar downtown except for inside the Amway, why? Furthermore all franchises have been sequestered along 28th street or the Beltline because the city isn't making it possible for them to come downtown. I know for a fact that Uno's Pizza tried to open downtown but the city wouldn't accept the design. Why? So before we start blaming Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for ignoring the city, maybe we should ask the city why they are not trying to bring these businesses here.

When did the city say it didn't like the Uno's design in downtown?

The city would not shoot down an Uno's or any other franchise unless they wanted to overhaul a facade with something inappropriate, level a building and surround it with parking or do something else that was incredibly dumb. Maybe the landlord didn't like the plans. Maybe Uno's didn't want to pay an obscene amount for a GR liquor license. But I'd like to see something to support your claims.

As for sports bars, check out Z's or Taps -- nearby there's Frankie V's (on Stocking). At any rate, GP Sports isn't a bad sports bar.

To the broader issue of lack of franchises downtown-- Thus far, I'd say we've been blessed with few of them. Their lack of interest in downtown has allowed local places to thrive as downtown has come back. It's not like there aren't any franchies downtown. Besides Jimmy John's there are Quizno's, Beaners (soon), Subway, TGI Friday's, Roly Poly and Starbucks. 28th Street can keep Bennigan's, Chili's, Applebees and all the other crap-on-the-wall places.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think that Grand Rapids has made itself into an incredible city. Having come from the suburbs of sprawling Detroit I really appreciate all that Grand Rapids has to offer!

That being said, I don't really see where Grand Rapids has been all that inviting or hospitable to outsiders. While I love the locally owned stores everywhere, it appears that all attempts that have been made by franchises have been shot down. Look at the hotel issues, if it's not Van Andel owned it isn't happening. the only reason there is a Jimmy Johns downtown is because it is a local couple from East that opened it. We have NO sports bar downtown except for inside the Amway, why? Furthermore all franchises have been sequestered along 28th street or the Beltline because the city isn't making it possible for them to come downtown. I know for a fact that Uno's Pizza tried to open downtown but the city wouldn't accept the design. Why? So before we start blaming Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for ignoring the city, maybe we should ask the city why they are not trying to bring these businesses here.

All franchise have been "sequestered along 28th Street"? I'm sorry ex detroiter, but that's crazy talk, plain and simple. In fact, keep the "chains" (I think you meant and not franchises) out of downtown.

BTW: Welcome to Grand Rapids!

As much as I would LOVE to see a Trader Joe's downtown, I don't realistically expect that to happen: Trader Joe's is not really an upscale store- even though a lot of their items are the upscale type of item, their prices are really quite reasonable. Therefore, they have to keep their costs down, therefore they would have to locate in a lower cost area. Unfortunatly, for that type of retail, it means a place like 28th Street or Alpine. Not to mention the parking factor and the fact that downtown just doesn't have the density (yet) to support one. Hopefully, I am wrong and they will at least locate close to downtown and not way out somewhere. I do agree with those who say it will only be a matter of time before they come to the area (right now we have to drive to Ann Arbor and it's worth it). :D

Don'tcha all remember MickeyD's and Wendy's???? Wendy's was PACKED from 11:30 am until 1:30pm; then it was empty. The "arena" crowd never materialized. MickeyD's in McKay Tower was Way too small and I think the office tenants smelled Frenchy Fries all day long :sick: and the lease was not renewed. Anyway, with two big names like that failing in DT I can see why more just ain't a comin' soon.

As for sports bars, check out Z's or Taps -- nearby there's Frankie V's (on Stocking). At any rate, GP Sports isn't a bad sports bar.

At any given time McFadden's has numerous games on. They have an LCD tv in each booth. That's pretty sports bar-like.

I want Wendy's and Mickey D's back... A McKay location, central would be nice for me...

The City Center used to have a McDonald's and a few other chain restaurants on the lowest level. Seemed to thrive, at least for a time...

As much as I would LOVE to see a Trader Joe's downtown, I don't realistically expect that to happen: Trader Joe's is not really an upscale store- even though a lot of their items are the upscale type of item, their prices are really quite reasonable. Therefore, they have to keep their costs down, therefore they would have to locate in a lower cost area. Unfortunatly, for that type of retail, it means a place like 28th Street or Alpine. Not to mention the parking factor and the fact that downtown just doesn't have the density (yet) to support one. Hopefully, I am wrong and they will at least locate close to downtown and not way out somewhere. I do agree with those who say it will only be a matter of time before they come to the area (right now we have to drive to Ann Arbor and it's worth it). :D

Trader Joe

Well, I'll use my inaugural post to add to the pleas for a Trader Joes. I don't even care where they locate - it's gotta be closer than my bi-monthly trip to Ann Arbor for my fix.

I think the Celebration North area would be a great location, so would the newly announced Walker development. Downtown is fine, but please parking gods - allow for parking! I swear, the downtown group just doesn't get that searching for parking, traipsing through the rain and construction mud is NOT good!

Trixie

There will be a day when paying to park downtown, even as a customer to a retail/restaurant establishment is not an issue. "I ONLY had to pay five bucks to park, sweet!"

There will be a day where mass transit is more accessible, affordable, and efficient than driving downtown.

and of course

There will be a day where Downtown and the central city neighborhoods have the density and demographics needed to support development without parking.

There will be a day when paying to park downtown, even as a customer to a retail/restaurant establishment is not an issue. "I ONLY had to pay five bucks to park, sweet!"

There will be a day where mass transit is more accessible, affordable, and efficient than driving downtown.

and of course

There will be a day where Downtown and the central city neighborhoods have the density and demographics needed to support development without parking.

There will be a day when scottish engineers respond to our calls, of "Beam me up" :yahoo:

I was in Trader Joes last week in the Chicago area and talked to a manager there. He noted that the GR area is "supposed to get" a Trader Joes in the next two years. If they came into GR, it would be excellent. I would buy the majority of my groceries there. I was looking at the new stores on Alpine in front of York Creek and that would fit the TJ style. I thought of snapping a pic off for them and sending it to them to say "hey come here".

Welcome shopgirl!

Wish I knew Trader Joes so I could compare, but there are some interesting

places in town to get uncommon foods - but it sounds like TJ's prices are lower.

How large are the stores? Maybe GRNow could compile a listing of all

the specialty grocery and gourmet stores.....

If TJ's comes to GR, I bet they will pick a site within the central city. Michigan, east of Diamond or the Fulton Heights D&W.

As much as they need parking, I believe walkability & transit opportunites need to be present on-site.

I also thought the Fulton Heights D&W would make a good spot for TJ's, but Spartan just announced that they'll be making upgrades to that store and turning it into a Family Fare...which is not a bad thing. That store is badly in need of some upgrades.

Hi

The stores are kind of small for all they have to offer. Usually they are 3 grocery rows, with a beer and wine selection.

As for placement of the stores, most of them in MI are in a kind of strip mall (Royal Oak, Ann Arbor, Rochester) IL are the same in the Chicago area so honestly they could go anywhere in the Grand Rapids area...not just downtown because typically they look for ample parking and cheaper rent areas.

It's not your average chain IMO :rofl: They offer huge selections and the prices are affordable to the middle-lower socio eco. class, not just catering to the upper crust. Unfortunately, none of the little shops have the goods that I get from TR, where in GR can you find Greek Yogurt?

Kellie

Archived