Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hood

Free Wireless Internet in Lansing

Lmichigan    9

This is impressive. This would be the first city in Michigan to have it cover the entire city. Probably one of the only cities in the Midwest to have full city coverage. I like how the article spells out the benefits and the potential problems. It is nice to see both sides.

I really thought the mayor was originally just making hollow promises, but it looks like this is going to go through. That is, unless the city council gets in a fight with them, and this particular council is notorious for being difficult with mayors.

hood    1

I already know a lot of people will complain about this, but I hope nobody on council is dumb enough to do complain. Even if this system does cost some money to the city, so what? I'm sure the benifits with new residents and bussinesses will outweigh any marginal subsidies they will need to keep up and running.

Lmichigan    9

If this goes to council, I can already see how the votes my play out:

For:

1. Leeman

2. Dunbar

3. Kaltenbach

4. Bauer

Unsure:

5. Allen

6. Williams

Against:

7. Wood

8. Jeffries

lol, I watch council meeting way too often. lol

hood    1

I typically watch the council meeting every week also, it's a good way to get info, sometimes.

I'd bet williams would be for it, and I think even Jefferies may be, but Wood is a definite no.

Lmichigan    9

Yeah, either way, the council doesn't seem to have the votes to stop this. When is Bauer leaving? I know she is running for the state legislature, but I can't remember when her term is up. I'm pretty sure it's before the end of 2007, though.

hood    1

I thought I heard it will be decided by the november elections, so she would probably be leaving in January, if that's when the new people start.

dnast    0

^ Ouch. That intern should probably consider changing majors.

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys got citywide wi-fi sometime within the next two years, though. Genesee County is pushing for county-wide wi-fi by the end of 2008, so I'm sure Lansing can get it done.

hood    1

I wouldn't at all be suprised if this ends up feasable anyways, but the City Pulse screwed up pretty bad here.

hood    1

It said at the end of the artice that she lost her internship, and rightfully so. She and the Pulse could of gotten into some serious trouble had the copy and pastes from the Detroit News made it to press.