Bells Bend Compromise

smeagolsfree

An article from the Tennessean today says that Jeff Zeitlin is looking for a compromise for his subdivision in Bells Bend. I do think there will be some type of compromise here. My main point of concern since I live on this end of town is the traffic pouring onto Hwy 12 from the dead end Old Hickory Blvd. The road does need to be improved before large scale developments go into this area. There are thousands of acres of undeveloped land in the Bells Bend area and once one is approve many more will follow. One of the things that would concern me as a resident of that area is the lack of a fire station and local schools. I look forward to seeing what is offered as a compriomise.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...0/1195/COUNTY01

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to hear from someone who lives there especially since the neighbors were so strongly opposed. Your comment about OHB needing to be upgraded makes a lot of sense in light of what I've read.

I was a bit surprised that there was so much opposition to this project. Bear in mind that I've never been even close to that area, but it sounded like Zeitlin was planning to keep a huge portion of it either pristine or unbuilt. IMO it sounds positive that he's willing to compromise.

The residents should ask themselves if another developer would be so sensitive to keeping so much acreage undeveloped as Zeitlin has proposed.

I would imagine a nice new big bridge would take care of a lot of the worries...and add a few more. But when you think that this area is just across the river from the dense west side, it would only make sense. On one side you have pristine farmland...across the river you have Charlotte Pike/West Meade...and all that goes with it.

• 1 year later...

Now that H20 has been proposed, I'm also thinking about how nice a bridge would be from H20/Davidson Road to Bell's Bend. I know it's been some time since Bell's Landing was discussed, but recently Zeitlin exercised some options on about 450 acres in Bell's bend. And both H20 and Bell's Landing are clients of the same new urbanist design planning firm. Look at the synergy:

1. Zeitlin ran into traffic issues on Ashland City Highway. A bridge to Charlotte may get his project approved alot faster if traffic can be better handled there, or be divided between the two corridors.

2. Rather than plan for a new elementary school in the bend, public school students can be distributed among Brookmeade, West Meade and Gower elementaries. West Meade elementary is underutilized.

3. H20's retail would benefit from the hundreds of homes across the river having direct access.

4. Zeitlin may be able to build more homes and less retail space with access to H20.

5. West Nashville would have access to the 800 acre park without having to circumnavigate the river to do so.

6. And of course, there will be several thousand more commuters driving the comparably short drive from that part of Nashville than from way out from the out-of-county exurbs. Not to mention more property tax proceeds fror Nashville.

I bet the increase in land value from rezoning and construction would more than cover the cost of the bridge. Money that can't be gotten to without approval to construct in Bell's Bend.

• 2 months later...

The Tony G. Show just blew through Scottsboro. Volunteers are walking a grid to search for survivors.

At the end of a contentious planning meeting this evening regarding the Scottsboro/Bells Bend area development plan, during which the local citizens derided the city for under-representing their near unanimous disdain for a bridge across the Cumberland, out came Tony Giarrantana to propose a $50 million bridge and I-40 interchange over the Cumberland. He was representing the Mays (sp?) family who owns 1200 acres in Bells Bend. He announced a proposal for a mixed use town center that simply eclipses the previous residential proposal that got shot down earlier. Much more density is proposed; in fact a comparison was made to Cool Springs in its planned economic impact on Nashville. When asked "will there be more than 1200 units," he answered, "much more."

The actual development will be around 400 acres, the remaining will be in a conservation easement (much of it flood plain). It will have a lifestyle-center-type retail, condominiums and townhomes, and will include space for up to FIVE corporate headquarters. Count them - FIVE. RTKL is handling the planning out of their Dallas office. It's being planned to be intensely sensitive to environmental concerns.

The favored new exchange location is on I-40 between exits 201 and 204, specifically between Upton Lane and Annex Ave, but it might be forced to cross through the park as originally planned. The bridge will span the Cumberland completely, having piers that do not touch water; could be magnificent. But here's the kicker - TG proposed stopping Old Hickory Boulevard at the Bells Bend Park so traffic from his development would not go through Scottsboro to the north. That is supposed to be the deal maker. He would move the boat ramp over so locals could still access the river. So everything north of the new development stays exactly as it is, which is what they wanted.

You just have to admire a good game of chess. In ten minutes he has a neighborhood clamoring for access to his bridge to west Nashville , he's got planning licking their chops for a place to compete for corporate HQ's with WilCo, and his proposal is greener than the sod farm it replaces. In reality, this is the only scale development that could absorb the construction of a bridge and McEwen-scale interchange.

Now, who thinks TG is intent on doing all of the above, and who thinks he's squeezing concessions from the Scottsboro community and is prepared to settle for much less? I don't know the man, so is he bluffing?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NESS01/80212043

If you click on the photo in the link it will increase the photo size.

I live here (well on the other side of the river, next door to Commodore Yacht Club, and I do mean right next door)

I would be for this - I would like to see water run off contained and perhaps a very small marina w. a waterfront resturant. Also, the bridge being where the old ferry was makes sense (except to the folks living in Charlotte Park)

What surprises me is there is not a plan for river access (other than moving the existing ramp)

4B development next to a major waterway and no dock, waterfront resturant, marina - nothing.

Seems like a waste

Also, how does this affect the H2O development which is basically across the river?

The Paradigm web site does not have any thing on this development yet and Tony's site is down, which means it is probably being updated as we speak. The company that did the Signature movie is the same one that has done this one as well.

We probably need to start a thread on this baby very soon especially if it gets approved. May Town Center. Guess we can add another town center to the mix and this one will be right across the river from H2o.

The Tony G. Show just blew through Scottsboro. Volunteers are walking a grid to search for survivors.

At the end of a contentious planning meeting this evening regarding the Scottsboro/Bells Bend area development plan, during which the local citizens derided the city for under-representing their near unanimous disdain for a bridge across the Cumberland, out came Tony Giarrantana to propose a $50 million bridge and I-40 interchange over the Cumberland. He was representing the Mays (sp?) family who owns 1200 acres in Bells Bend. He announced a proposal for a mixed use town center that simply eclipses the previous residential proposal that got shot down earlier. Much more density is proposed; in fact a comparison was made to Cool Springs in its planned economic impact on Nashville. When asked "will there be more than 1200 units," he answered, "much more."

The actual development will be around 400 acres, the remaining will be in a conservation easement (much of it flood plain). It will have a lifestyle-center-type retail, condominiums and townhomes, and will include space for up to FIVE corporate headquarters. Count them - FIVE. RTKL is handling the planning out of their Dallas office. It's being planned to be intensely sensitive to environmental concerns.

The favored new exchange location is on I-40 between exits 201 and 204, specifically between Upton Lane and Annex Ave, but it might be forced to cross through the park as originally planned. The bridge will span the Cumberland completely, having piers that do not touch water; could be magnificent. But here's the kicker - TG proposed stopping Old Hickory Boulevard at the Bells Bend Park so traffic from his development would not go through Scottsboro to the north. That is supposed to be the deal maker. He would move the boat ramp over so locals could still access the river. So everything north of the new development stays exactly as it is, which is what they wanted.

You just have to admire a good game of chess. In ten minutes he has a neighborhood clamoring for access to his bridge to west Nashville , he's got planning licking their chops for a place to compete for corporate HQ's with WilCo, and his proposal is greener than the sod farm it replaces. In reality, this is the only scale development that could absorb the construction of a bridge and McEwen-scale interchange.

Now, who thinks TG is intent on doing all of the above, and who thinks he's squeezing concessions from the Scottsboro community and is prepared to settle for much less? I don't know the man, so is he bluffing?

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found these comments and like the dialogue. I want all to realize that the 'excited' atmosphere at recent community meetings comes from some who are not residents inside the Bells Bend area, south of highway 12. Some property owners from near(very near), the proposed project site feel very different from the vocal "few".

Marinas, a golf course, and further nature trails have been tossed around for several years. There are four or five zoning plans from where highway 12 and Old Hickory Blvd. cross, with commercial being at the intersection. Below 12 there is a zone requirement of one unit per two acres. This could control some over populating. Zeitlin had proposed more and cluster housing over the total area, not recommending any land for preservation. this was met with much criticism from local residents.

Talking about a marina, few know that the May group had already purchased the Robertson Island, located near the proposed project, across from Cockerill Bend Park off Centennial Blvd, off Briley Parkway. I wonder what they(MTC) is thinking when mentiong the importance of the nearness of the John Tune Airport?

I have just found these comments and like the dialogue. I want all to realize that the 'excited' atmosphere at recent community meetings comes from some who are not residents inside the Bells Bend area, south of highway 12. Some property owners from near(very near), the proposed project site feel very different from the vocal "few".

Marinas, a golf course, and further nature trails have been tossed around for several years. There are four or five zoning plans from where highway 12 and Old Hickory Blvd. cross, with commercial being at the intersection. Below 12 there is a zone requirement of one unit per two acres. This could control some over populating. Zeitlin had proposed more and cluster housing over the total area, not recommending any land for preservation. this was met with much criticism from local residents.

Talking about a marina, few know that the May group had already purchased the Robertson Island, located near the proposed project, across from Cockerill Bend Park off Centennial Blvd, off Briley Parkway. I wonder what they(MTC) is thinking when mentiong the importance of the nearness of the John Tune Airport?

No problem. I can understand your interest much better. I'm not familiar with that part of Nashville, but I'm intrigued by the project. With such a massive impact on that area, I'm still not sure I understand what commitment the city of Nashville would have to make for this to get a chance of happening. So what direction are the political winds blowing?

No problem. I can understand your interest much better. I'm not familiar with that part of Nashville, but I'm intrigued by the project. With such a massive impact on that area, I'm still not sure I understand what commitment the city of Nashville would have to make for this to get a chance of happening. So what direction are the political winds blowing?

Archived