County Square

btoy

I'm sure that everyone here could just imagine what something like that could do for the city skyline. I mean, Greenville is already breathtaking, but even with an eight story on top of that hill, maybe even two of them, that would give a great infill to the skyline and downtown.

Off topic here, I was noticing how in regards to McBee Station, downtown seems to be expanding east by about 3 blocks. The best thing at this juncture is to stop the "urban sprawl" and mandate infill in regards to the parking lots. The city offers free parking after hours, get off your @$$ and walk a few blocks. I really don't want to see anymore parking decks built downtown. I want something else that uses elevators and escalators. In fact I'm working on an idea for a revamped government center. I think that if the people listen to these ideas, we might see some of them come to reality.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that everyone here could just imagine what something like that could do for the city skyline. I mean, Greenville is already breathtaking, but even with an eight story on top of that hill, maybe even two of them, that would give a great infill to the skyline and downtown.

Off topic here, I was noticing how in regards to McBee Station, downtown seems to be expanding east by about 3 blocks. The best thing at this juncture is to stop the "urban sprawl" and mandate infill in regards to the parking lots. The city offers free parking after hours, get off your @$$ and walk a few blocks. I really don't want to see anymore parking decks built downtown. I want something else that uses elevators and escalators. In fact I'm working on an idea for a revamped government center. I think that if the people listen to these ideas, we might see some of them come to reality.

I am really excited to see what you come up with, jarvisj3! I know it will be high-quality! :thumbsup:

For whoever asked, the Bilo shopping center will NOT be a strip center so to speak. There will be buildings up close to church street and with a parking lot behind them. On the other side of the parking lot will be the Bilo. The parking lot is essentially surrounded by buildings. Offices, retail, maybe residential? The buildings are about 4-6 stories up on Church from what I remember. It will be a great development and the conceptual exterior looks a lot like what the "new" church street will look like-- as seen from the city's redevelopment plans. It has a kind of Italian look.

With county square, I evision a linear development, like RiverPlace, but again, multi-story. Being at the top of the ridge, developers could get away with something along the lines of a 8-12 story tower, up to 2 of them, then have urban retail, such as Target and Home Depot / Expo. This development would also be a great place for a Borders Books, along with a Kinkos. With the news that BiLo is moving in caddy corner to Cnty Sq, I don't forsee the need for another grocer in the area.

This sounds perfect jarvisj3! Something sort of like North Hills in Raleigh, but with taller buildings and less spread out:

http://www.northhillsraleigh.com/

That sounds great jarvis! Are these ideas created in an official or unofficial capacity?

With the news that BiLo is moving in caddy corner to Cnty Sq, I don't forsee the need for another grocer in the area.

For whoever asked, the Bilo shopping center will NOT be a strip center so to speak. There will be buildings up close to church street and with a parking lot behind them. On the other side of the parking lot will be the Bilo. The parking lot is essentially surrounded by buildings. Offices, retail, maybe residential? The buildings are about 4-6 stories up on Church from what I remember. It will be a great development and the conceptual exterior looks a lot like what the "new" church street will look like-- as seen from the city's redevelopment plans. It has a kind of Italian look.

I had heard rumors of this, but is it a done deal? What stage are negotiations in?

This fits with the master plan that the city has for that area. From the renderings I've seen, everything is fronting Church Street fairly closely. It all has a rather intimate feel and a quaint charm.

That sounds great jarvis! Are these ideas created in an official or unofficial capacity?

Everything is in an unofficial capacity. I don't have any degrees or certifications, but I do a good bit of travel for business, so yeah, I'm able to "steal" other cities ideas, and see if I could replicate them downtown.

My idea for the new government center is something like 10 Park Plaza in Boston, where you have the most used offices on the bottom three floors, accessable with escalators and elevators, and the uppermost floors would be accessable via stairs and elevator. I guess the best way to describe any and all of this is to imagine the Embassy Suites on Verde, with offices and escalators. I can't find any images for this, I'm going to illustrate in ASCII. Follow please.

{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}X{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}X{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

The X marks an escalator, while {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} marks the side of the atrium. Something like this can be seen at Dillards at Haywood, where the escalators interconnect between three floors.

EDIT - I found the pic of the atrium.

TransBldgAtrimSustDes.jpg

Massachusetts State Transportation Building

statepic.jpg

From what I have heard the Bi-Lo project is probubly a few years off. David Stone did not own every single house so Hughs will have to acquire the rest of them first and there may be some holdouts.

But, recently I learned that the Cameron Barkley builging at University Ridge and Church St. is under contract. I do not have a clue what is going there but here is what was used to market the site.

university_ridge_village.jpg

From what I have heard the Bi-Lo project is probubly a few years off. David Stone did not own every single house so Hughs will have to acquire the rest of them first and there may be some holdouts.

But, recently I learned that the Cameron Barkley builging at University Ridge and Church St. is under contract. I do not have a clue what is going there but here is what was used to market the site.

Btoy, that is AWESOME! :w00t: I can see how easy it would be to grab people's interest with such a rendering. Now, I just hope we see something very similar to this actually go up there, and relatively soon.

What do they mean by "Reedy River Park?"

Btoy, that is AWESOME! :w00t: I can see how easy it would be to grab people's interest with such a rendering. Now, I just hope we see something very similar to this actually go up there, and relatively soon.

Falls Park ends at Church St.

Maybe it should just read "Reedy River", although I'm not exactly sure where this property is. :blink:

Nice rendering btoy. Thanks!

I looked at the master plan re: redevelopment of the County Square property; it seems to call for a few small office buildings in the parking lot in front of County Square.

I don't think that would be satisfactory- it would be tiny office buildings (maybe bank branch-sized) in front of the dead mall. How attractive.

The whole complex needs to be razed and a private developer should just start over with a class A development.

I totally agree, mallguy. This would make an excellent property for another RiverPlace/McBeeStation-style development in the City. And as jarvisj3 pointed out, the County could still remain there in a new facility or two, but as part of a much more impressive and economically progressive complex. :shades:

On the drawing the part labled Reedy River Park would be the Urban Forest section between the site and the Chamber of Commerce.

This is GREAT!! :D Thanks btoy!! Can't wait to see this come to fruition!

• 3 years later...

Just bumping this one. Anybody out there hearing any rumors about any possible developmetns at teh County Square site? There were a few things out on the table a couple of years ago, with the biggest of course, the infamous project skyline that could have changes the face of DT. All of them seems to have fallen through. Are there any other rumors or possible developments that anyone knows about?

Archived