Providence Geeks

Cotuit

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

i'm involved with college IT. i'm curious if any of the other providence geeks have affiliation with the colleges (since i'm always looking to network in that crowd).

i'm also not the traditional "geek" as i'm more involved with support than programming or web development or anything like that (although i do maintain the most webpages for our IT department). basically, i guess i'm just curious what most of the people involved with providence geeks are interested in or if most of the conversation would steer away from anything that would be useful or even interesting for me.

i'm involved with college IT. i'm curious if any of the other providence geeks have affiliation with the colleges (since i'm always looking to network in that crowd).

i'm also not the traditional "geek" as i'm more involved with support than programming or web development or anything like that (although i do maintain the most webpages for our IT department). basically, i guess i'm just curious what most of the people involved with providence geeks are interested in or if most of the conversation would steer away from anything that would be useful or even interesting for me.

Jim, Providence Geeks has a very broad spectrum of folks. As far as college/university affiliations, quite a few CS professors and students are involved. I don't recall meeting anyone yet from a school's IT department, but I'd surprised if there weren't any.

Regardless the best way to find out is to attend the next Geek Dinner on Wednesday the 19th. It's laid back and fun.

Hope to see you there.

Jack

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How's the tech business around Providence? I know that's a rather broad question, but I'm considering striking out on some sort of freelance web design/development. I guess I would classify myself as a designer who programs (open source). I spent a goodish amount of time here in tech support and networking, thereby giving me a rather, shall we say, broad skill set.

I'd like to not land at the ol' Help Desk again. :blink:

Thanks,

Meg

How's the tech business around Providence? I know that's a rather broad question, but I'm considering striking out on some sort of freelance web design/development. I guess I would classify myself as a designer who programs (open source). I spent a goodish amount of time here in tech support and networking, thereby giving me a rather, shall we say, broad skill set.

Thanks,

Meg

I don't know the job availability but G-Tech does programming, and where I work at Item (www.itemnpd.com) we are moving to a new building and are hiring more people and we are growing our graphics/pre production department.

Thanks,

Meg

it really depends on how much development you do as opposed to the web design stuff and what exactly you're interested in doing. it sounds to me like you might be a good fit for one of the colleges or a company looking to either start or clean up their web presence. i hear pawtucket has some pretty crappy web pages, maybe they need a new designer. :lol:

a company looking to either start or clean up their web presence. i hear pawtucket has some pretty crappy web pages, maybe they need a new designer. :lol:

That's the ideal. I like the idea of setting up a web presence for a small business with maybe some updating. I do my best work with The Frightened Neo-Luddite ;)

I also like the idea of freelancing -- even tho my husband claims "freelance web design" is a euphemism for not having a job.

I tried, half heartedly, to start something up here in Flagstaff only no one wants to *pay* anything. Okay, well, maybe in live chickens but I have trouble working like that.

Meg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to be posting this so last minute, but I just realized that tonight's Geek Dinner (Wed. 4/25/07 5:30pm-9pm+ at AS220) is probably of special interest to some UP'ers.

Arnell Milhouse - Providence Geek, President of the Downtown Merchants Association, and Founder of interactive media services company Eyegloo - will give the first (and an extremely early) public sneak peak of Eyegloo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived