Hampton History

okinawatyphoon

Chamberlin Hotel work unaffected by base plan

The developers plan to keep working, regardless of Fort Monroe's fate.

HAMPTON -- Whether Fort Monroe closes or stays open, the fate of the base won't affect the massive redevelopment plans for the historic Chamberlin Hotel.

The plan to convert the 283-room hotel to exclusive apartments and build a new, six-story wing with apartments and assisted-living units is on track, the project developers told Hampton City Council in a presentation this week.

"This doesn't affect our plans at all," said Wendy Drucker, co-chief executive officer of Drucker & Falk in Newport News. The firm is managing the project.

The $50 million plan calls for renovating the hotel into 130 apartments - for renters who are 55 or older - that Drucker described as "elegant and beautiful." The apartments would range from 750 to 1,300 square feet and likely would range in cost from $3,400 to $4,500 a month.

Resto Story

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chamberlin Hotel work unaffected by base plan

The developers plan to keep working, regardless of Fort Monroe's fate.

HAMPTON -- Whether Fort Monroe closes or stays open, the fate of the base won't affect the massive redevelopment plans for the historic Chamberlin Hotel.

The plan to convert the 283-room hotel to exclusive apartments and build a new, six-story wing with apartments and assisted-living units is on track, the project developers told Hampton City Council in a presentation this week.

"This doesn't affect our plans at all," said Wendy Drucker, co-chief executive officer of Drucker & Falk in Newport News. The firm is managing the project.

The $50 million plan calls for renovating the hotel into 130 apartments - for renters who are 55 or older - that Drucker described as "elegant and beautiful." The apartments would range from 750 to 1,300 square feet and likely would range in cost from $3,400 to $4,500 a month.

Resto Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do they expect elderly to affore 3400-4500 a month that is insain. Are they expecting medicare to pay most of that or something.

How do they expect elderly to affore 3400-4500 a month that is insain. Are they expecting medicare to pay most of that or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a HUGE market for high-end, over 55 housing. Many young retirees have lots of money and would be attracted to a community like this one planned. I think it's quite sane and potentially quite profitable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're talking 55+. These aren't exactly elderly. They still work and lead active lifestyles. More importantly, some of these people are loaded. A lot of people like to retire in HR, esp those who came through with the Navy. That's who the $3400 apts are probably targeted towards. I would imagine they also get a boat slip. The higher end would probably be for assisted living expenses. With rents in other apt projects projecting to be upwards of $2000, $3400 for deep-water, bay-front living may not be out-of-line esp if activity fees are included in the price (i.e. golf club membership, boat use, tennis club, etc.). They are selling exclusivity. I would think they studied the market and found an unserved niche.

And the good thing here too is that they are saving a piece of history. The Chambelain hotel was built many moons ago and it is good to see it not on the chopping block.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That building is on the National Historic Register. It is going anywhere anytime soon. Glad to see someone finally restoring it. It has been restored many times but always half a**. I just hope that they will still allow people to rent the ball rooms. That is the most impressive part of the building. Huge ballrooms on the second level with huge ceilings and intricate carved trim and columns. Man that place is incredible. There is truly nothing like it in this region. I'll garuntee that no matter what price tag you put on this building, people will flock to it.

That building is on the National Historic Register.  It is going anywhere anytime soon.  Glad to see someone finally restoring it.  It has been restored many times but always half a**.  I just hope that they will still allow people to rent the ball rooms.  That is the most impressive part of the building.  Huge ballrooms on the second level with huge ceilings and intricate carved trim and columns.  Man that place is incredible.  There is truly nothing like it in this region.  I'll garuntee that no matter what price tag you put on this building, people will flock to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you forgotten the Cavalier on the oceanfront in VaBeach?

I have been meaning to visit the Cavalier for some time now. It's amazing how many things are so close yet you don't take the time to check them out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think we don't take the time, the time is not given to us. I know most of us are running on very little time.

Have you forgotten the Cavalier on the oceanfront in VaBeach?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the Cavalier is a very famous landmark. But it is not as oppulant at the Chamberlain. The Cavalier gets most of it's fame from the people who visited. Duke Ellington, Count Basie, legends in swing, many other celebrities. In fact it and another place, I forget the name of it, use to be the place to be. They had swing clubs where people would come to dance and party. They would have been the equivelant of our modern day night clubs. That was back when the street trollies ran from norfolk to Virginia beach oceanfront. People worked in Norfolk, and hopped the trolly over to catch the fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Mercuex and PeninsulaKiddo, I've scanned this Hampton thread and nowhere do I see any mention of an area I knew quite well in the 60s called Strawberry Banks. It was on the right side of I-64 at the tunnel entrance and once had a large mansion (where I spent many a night) and the Strawberry Banks motel. I haven't been that way in 30 years and wonder what is now on that incredible property? Any info? Thanks. :mellow:

Mercuex and PeninsulaKiddo, I've scanned this Hampton thread and nowhere do I see any mention of an area I knew quite well in the 60s called Strawberry Banks.  It was on the right side of I-64 at the tunnel entrance and once had a large mansion (where I spent many a night) and the Strawberry Banks motel.  I haven't been that way in 30 years and wonder what is now on that incredible property?  Any info?  Thanks. :mellow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, do either of you know anything about the American Theatre in Phoebus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The American Theatre is quite a place. They really did a great job renovating it. It has great shows from time to time. Also, I happen to know of the mixed use condo buildings that the owner of sam's in phoebus is contemplating putting on his property on the water. As far as strawberry bank's, not much has changed on that property. About the only piece of property that still look's the same year after year. In fact, it has really gotten run down. It gets used alot for after prom and school end parties.

Thanks, Urban, for the report on the American Theatre and Strawberry Banks.  Was the American an old movie house that has been converted to a performing arts center?  I wonder what is its seating capacity?

Unbelievable to hear that Strawberry Banks has gone seedy.  What a great waterfront property and potential site for urban reclamatioin.  I would have thought it would be similar to Va. Beach TC with lots of towers after all these years.  I do know that the old mansion burned to the ground.  Bill Ferguson controlled the area way back in the 60s/70s and owned the motel on the property.  I suspect the new Performing Arts complex at Christopher Newport is named after Bill.  Can't wait to revisit my old haunts in Hampton Roads.  Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a link to the web page for Historic Phoebus. It has information on the American Theatre. It originally sat 600 people and yes was a motion picture theatre. After its renovation it only seats 400 people, and is now a stage preformance venue. I don't know if they still show movies also??

Phoebus

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, when my family first moved here from NY many years ago, we stayed at Strawberry Banks while our house was being finished up. All my memories of that place (the few that I still have) are quite fond, but since then it really has gotten kind of beat up. It would be worthwhile to see that property get redeveloped or renovated at the very least.

But, It's still there as far as I know.

• 5 months later...

how about this project?

The Chamberlin Hotel:

.......Drucker & Falk, LLC, Real Estate intends to rehabilitate the existing structure and reuse the space as an Independent Living facility with approximately 160 units ranging from one to three bedrooms. In addition, the existing surface parking lot adjacent to the existing structure will become a new parking deck with approximately 350 parking spaces, open on all sides with brick cladding on all exposed facades to keep the design compatible with the existing adjacent building

Using valuable waterfront space for parking is inexplicable to me, but the building doesn't appear to be too offensive. I am grateful that the Chamberlin is being saved.

Actually, its not just parking. The new 160 room assisted living facility will be going on top of the parking deck.

I think that you personally couldn't have done a better job with the small lot than they have done.

Actually, its not just parking. The new 160 room assisted living facility will be going on top of the parking deck.

I think that you personally couldn't have done a better job with the small lot than they have done.

Actually, there will only be 60 units on top of the parking deck. The 160 figure is for the Chamberlin itself.

I'm merely saying that having the parking spaces directly on the waterfront seems like a waste. Have the parking there, but put something else- shops, meeting rooms--whatever- on the first floor where the structure meets the water. A sidewalk with planting and trees could be in front at the water level. Parking should be hidden from the water. Have all the parking desired or needed, but on the land side- even on the water side too, but not at the ground level. I don't mean to nit-pick, as this is a great project overall.

I too believe that a parking garage on the waterfront is a waste! They could move it somewhere else and build just condos.

That is the only vacant lot around, without taking up some of the green the gazeebo sits on which will never happen. I agree they could make the facade more inviting and walkable, capitalizing on the water, however, the gravel parking lot is an eyesore and there is nowhere else to build a parking garage like this at. Most of the area surrounding this place is the old fort district which is pretty dense, and historic, so you won't be ripping the buildings down around it to build. I think they've done good with the characteristics surrounding this area.

• 1 month later...

I am very disappointed that this is what they have decided to do with the Chamberlain. That building could have had serious potential. I just don't see that working out. I think people would have paid top dollar to own a condo or penthouse in that building. All the history AND LOCATION! HUGE mistake! :angry:

Archived