Hampton History

okinawatyphoon

I am very disappointed that this is what they have decided to do with the Chamberlain. That building could have had serious potential. I just don't see that working out. I think people would have paid top dollar to own a condo or penthouse in that building. All the history AND LOCATION! HUGE mistake! :angry:

First Welcome to the forum, and I think they may have some nice things planned over there. I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very disappointed that this is what they have decided to do with the Chamberlain. That building could have had serious potential. I just don't see that working out. I think people would have paid top dollar to own a condo or penthouse in that building. All the history AND LOCATION! HUGE mistake! :angry:

Well I would be willing to bet that a large portion of the people who will end up there will be vets so they have earned it. It's actually nice that it will be set up for the elderly and not some spoiled yuppies like everything else these days.

If your city or area is where people go to die, then your area is dying with them. What this area is most lacking is educated youth. The grads from the top colleges around the country don't head to Hampton Roads, but they do head to places like Austin, which isn't any bigger than Hampton Roads.

[RANT]There are a disproportionate amount of old geezers 'round here.[/RANT]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If your city or area is where people go to die, then your area is dying with them. What this area is most lacking is educated youth. The grads from the top colleges around the country don't head to Hampton Roads, but they do head to places like Austin, which isn't any bigger than Hampton Roads.

[RANT]There are a disproportionate amount of old geezers 'round here.[/RANT]

lol. Are you serious? We have 7 Universities: William and Mary(One of the top schools in the nation, distinctions in Law), ODU(21,000), NSU, CNU, Regeant U, Hampton U(One of the top two black schools in the nation) and one more in Va Beach, not to include the community colleges or Eastern Virginia Medical School. The standard of living in Austin is 1/2 ours including real estate and the job market. The only thing Austin is known for is the last season of Real World, MTV--lol--and it is also known for it's huge immigrant population. But it is a very charming city. I have been there and to San Antonio and Dallas.

We also draw the second largest summer tourism, only behind Orlando, with Bush Gardens, Water Country, Va Beach, Colonial Williamsburg, James Town, York Town, etc.

Now you would have had an argument with Dallas or Houston, but Austin? Hampton Roads is home to over a million people. You have my permission to crawl under a rock now. :shades:

You're right but I think johnny is talking about the real problem of brain drain. We get good kids who grow up here but leave because they aren't inspired. And people that come here for college too often leave as well for more celebrated (perhaps undeservedly) markets like DC-Balt, Atlanta, and Charlotte.

Archived