Visiting Boston, Worcester, & Providence

BillHouseman

I am visiting Boston/Providence and Worcester this weekend (Fri-Mon) and would like some nightlife recommendations (particularly for Providence, as i know nothing about the town). Is Providence a more happening place for nightlife on the weekends (i have heard this), or perhaps i may decide to do one night providence and one night boston.

What type of places? I'm not necessarily looking for the hippest places, a particular type of place or music or pubs that resemble Cheers. Just places that are fun, provide an interesting cross-section of locals, are not horrbibly touristy or have an awful crowd...and a memorable evening out.

Preferably larger, very popular places (as long as they are not too expensive or impossibly crowded)

In Providence-- any suggestions are welcomed.

Eats:

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Neighborhoods:

Anywhere outside Boston proper, Cambridge/Somerville. I've probably been to Boston about 5 times, and have only seen Gloucester, Marblehead, Natick and a little of chelsea outside of Boston/Cambridge.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am visiting Boston/Providence and Worcester this weekend (Fri-Mon) and would like some nightlife recommendations (particularly for Providence, as i know nothing about the town). Is Providence a more happening place for nightlife on the weekends (i have heard this), or perhaps i may decide to do one night providence and one night boston.

What type of places? I'm not necessarily looking for the hippest places, a particular type of place or music or pubs that resemble Cheers. Just places that are fun, provide an interesting cross-section of locals, are not horrbibly touristy or have an awful crowd...and a memorable evening out.

Preferably larger, very popular places (as long as they are not too expensive or impossibly crowded)

Eats:

Neighborhoods:

Anywhere outside Boston proper, Cambridge/Somerville. I've probably been to Boston about 5 times, and have only seen Gloucester, Marblehead, Natick and a little of chelsea outside of Boston/Cambridge.

Eats:

I just posted my monster "best of Providence" dining list... At the moment, it's a bit ethnic dining heavy (if only because the non-ethnic options are so much better known). You can find it here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=359552

Go to any one of the restaurants I have listed as the best in the city (Gracies, Neath's, Gatehouse, Mill's Tavern) and you'll have a meal you won't soon forget!

- Garris

Eats:

Neighborhoods:

How old are you? I get the scene that you're into, but are you looking for a possible hook-up or are you looking for friendly people? Friendly people are a dime a dozen anywhere in N. England so you'll have to go a little more in to detail. There are quite a few places around...just wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

I just moved from Worcester to Providence. I'd probably concentrate on Boston/Providence nightlife than Worcester. Specifically because most of the Worcester colleges are on Spring Break this week and the bar scene will likely suffer as a result.

I would try RiRa or McFadden's in Providence. Rira will have a little better demographic mix, McFadden's will be very young (almost everyone <25) on a weekend. Olive's is also nice and will be slightly older. If you like the younger crowd and want to dance, then you can try The Fish Company or Prov.

For a nice night out doing a cross-section of Providence you might want to try dinner on Federal Hill followed by a dessert at Pastiche then head to a club for a few hours and end the night at RiRa for last call (at 2), then head over the Haven Bros. for some drunk food.

I recently had an acquaintance visit Providence for the first time. He was with his wife and is in his late 30's with a good job. So he wanted a little more upscale experience. The way he spent his day was as such.

Arrive in Providence roughly 11:00 AM. check into the Hotel Providence.

Noon-2 PM walking tour of East Side attractions related to HP Lovecraft (he is a huge fan)

2 PM lunch at the Paragon Cafe on Thayer St.

3 PM drive to Swan Point to see Lovecraft's Tomb and stop at Maximillian's for ice cream.

4 PM concede to wife's desire to shop at Providence Place.

6 PM check out the retail stuff on Westminster and a quick drink at Tazza

8 PM dinner at Gracie's followed by dessert at Pastiche

10:30 or so PM cab over to Hi Hat for some jazz and dancing

1 AM cab to RiRa for last call

2 AM hit Haven Bros. on the way back to the Hotel

11 AM check out and brunch at DownCity

i went to olive's once... it was a younger crowd and more of a club-like atmosphere. maybe it was just that one night (they had some sort of block party thing going on).

i recommend dinner on federal hill. for a very laid back type bar, try blake's tavern. if you like beer, try the trinity brewhouse. or try both. neither have a cover charge that i know of. i haven't been to mcfadden's or rira. it sounds like you're not into the club scene and prefer a friendly neighborhood bar.

the century lounge looks to have some rock-a-billy this weekend.

Arrive in Providence roughly 11:00 AM. check into the Hotel Providence.

Noon-2 PM walking tour of East Side attractions related to HP Lovecraft (he is a huge fan)

2 PM lunch at the Paragon Cafe on Thayer St.

3 PM drive to Swan Point to see Lovecraft's Tomb and stop at Maximillian's for ice cream.

4 PM concede to wife's desire to shop at Providence Place.

6 PM check out the retail stuff on Westminster and a quick drink at Tazza

8 PM dinner at Gracie's followed by dessert at Pastiche

10:30 or so PM cab over to Hi Hat for some jazz and dancing

1 AM cab to RiRa for last call

2 AM hit Haven Bros. on the way back to the Hotel

11 AM check out and brunch at DownCity

That's a great visiting Providence itinerary. Swap the individualistic Lovecraft worship and mall shopping with the RISD Museum, J&W Culinary Museum, John Brown House, or various PPAC/Trinity/etc plays and you have a near perfect visiting Providence day!

If any of you know classical music fans visiting this Saturday, the RI Philharmonic has a great classical program at the VMA this Saturday night.

- Garris

• 5 months later...

I just moved from Worcester to Providence. I'd probably concentrate on Boston/Providence nightlife than Worcester. Specifically because most of the Worcester colleges are on Spring Break this week and the bar scene will likely suffer as a result.

Just resurrecting an old thread... What are your impressions after having been here a few months? I went to college in Worcester (Clark) but was such a social misfit that I have no idea what the nightlife consisted of -- other than symphony concerts at Mechanics Hall, that is -- which is not exactly typical college-student stuff. There were a few clubs (e.g., Gilrein's, where I played with a rock band once), but not much of an organized "scene," per se. Is that still the case, pretty much?

Urb

Just resurrecting an old thread... What are your impressions after having been here a few months? I went to college in Worcester (Clark) but was such a social misfit that I have no idea what the nightlife consisted of -- other than symphony concerts at Mechanics Hall, that is -- which is not exactly typical college-student stuff. There were a few clubs (e.g., Gilrein's, where I played with a rock band once), but not much of an organized "scene," per se. Is that still the case, pretty much?

Urb

Sorry for the late reply.

I'll have been in Providence officially a year come the first of October. I like pretty much everything about Providence better than Worcester, except for there not being a Moe's here. Despite their equality in population, Providence is much more dense and has that big city feel to it where Worcester seems largely residential/suburban. You're right in that Worcester never felt to have any particular "scene". Nightlife also suffered big time when classes weren't in session. You either went to empty college bars or you were stuck at crowded, smelly 18+ dance clubs.

The city as a whole needs some work. There's no discernable downtown core and I can't imagine anyone surviving their without a car. I do miss Worcester a bit, but not so much the city as much as memories made there. Hope I answered your question.

Sorry for the late reply.

Despite their equality in population, Providence is much more dense and has that big city feel to it where Worcester seems largely residential/suburban.

Worcester is 37 square miles- more than twice as large in area. It covers @ the same land area as Providence,Pawtucket,Central Falls,and North Pvd. combined and if you added those populations together, we would be pushing 300K.

Archived