Newport News City Center Project

urbanfan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the article was pretty good. It gave a positive spin on the Peninsula and Newport News...I definitely agree that the Peninsula is more cohesive and united than the southside, which is maybe why you are seeing a flurry of retail, commercial and business activity here.

What didnt you like about the article

For an article of its size I think it was good. I just feel like most articles never have the space to really give a complete picture of the level of urbanization and infield development in NN/Peninsula. The refrain is usually the same: City Center and Port Warwick. Sometimes they'll mention Jefferson Commons to make things interesting.

I see your point, but given that the Pilot does not cover that Peninsula that often, I am still impressed that they did an in depth article about City Center. Have you noticed that on Saturday's the Daily Press devotes a half of a page for a news round up on the Southside. Its not much, but definitely a start

• 2 weeks later...

What an awesome article. All those new stores give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside! Talk about a FACE-LIFT! I know my mother and sisters will be shopping there.

For an article of its size I think it was good. I just feel like most articles never have the space to really give a complete picture of the level of urbanization and infield development in NN/Peninsula. The refrain is usually the same: City Center and Port Warwick. Sometimes they'll mention Jefferson Commons to make things interesting.

I agree. They need to spice the articles up some!

I just bought a condo at Port Warwick, but my fiance and I are still interested in living at City Center. We went to an informational meeting for the Meridian a few months ago, and we are on their interest list; Hopefully we will get more information on construction soon.

CC is definitely evolving into a mini urban core

Wow man ya'll may want to hang onto that PW condo even if you are interested in moving to CC. The way equity has been sizzling in that corridor is freaking ridiculous.

You know, even if you do end up staying in PW, it's not like it's too far and within time you'll have the option of taking a trolley there or walking there on the much-improved, pedestrian friendly sidewalks.

You are definitely right about the equity in Port Warwick. The development is almost built out, and now that Turner Building is almost finished and completely sold out, there will be no more residential units there. I think we will still eventually go to CC, but will keep the PW condo and rent it.

The trolley or shuttle between PW and CC should start sometime this year I think, once Thimble Shoals improvements are finished

From time to time the southside people (not necessarily you, rus, you're cool) tend to trash the peninsula and so i think a kind of defensive siege mentality has developed.

personally, i like tc - no more than city center - but i like it. it's regrettable that some southside people feel the need to trash peninsula projects and for peninsula people to respond in kind (of which i am also guilty in part).

thats how it is i guess, though

i walked around pw and city center for the first time when i was visiting home over spring break. i'm from southside, and i have to say i like what i've seen of the peninsula (which isn't a whole lot, but i hope to change that over the summer)...the buildings may not be terribly tall like in norfolk or vabeach, but the layout and density of everything definitely makes up for it. i think i could live very happily in port warwick...at first i wasn't sure what i thought about the seemingly infinite rows of cookie-cutter houses, but after driving through for a while, it grew on me. i know it's been discussed before, but just wanted to point out again how much mass transit between the peninsula and southside would help the region...i had never stopped to walk around in the peninsula before touring city center, and i think i'd find myself over that way a lot more if i didn't have to drive. the region is definitely divided, and that needs to change. my greatest fear i suppose is that i'll be unbelievably old or perhaps dead by the time any of that happens.

I agree with you. There's a good chance, unless the region builds robust transportation infrastructure, that the split will grow even worse. In a way it's been a blessing until now since the Peninsula has gotten stuff that used to only be on the Southside. But increasingly its just being a hampering factor to the overall growth of the region.

I'm glad you liked Oyster Point; you should check out hilton village and huntington heights too

What's with the pennisula guys being so negative or threatened by the Vabeach TC? Just curious.

Town Center and City Center are very similar concepts. However both still have some individual qualities. Town Center has high-rise living, while City Center/ Port Warwick does not, yet. CC/PW are pedestrian-friendly and have retail and a sense of cummunity that Town Center doesn not. TC is in a great location: near the beach and Downtown Norfolk. For me, a cyber cafe is essential for my perception of what an urban landscape should include. I am very divided between the two as to which I would choose to call my home. High-rise living is a fantasy of mine. A GENUINE and strong sense of community is even more important. Objectively speaking, Town Center has a foe sense of community, while CC and PW are successful at creating a genuine sense of community. What do ya'll think?

Town Center and City Center are very similar concepts. However both still have some individual qualities. Town Center has high-rise living, while City Center/ Port Warwick does not, yet. CC/PW are pedestrian-friendly and have retail and a sense of cummunity that Town Center doesn not. TC is in a great location: near the beach and Downtown Norfolk. For me, a cyber cafe is essential for my perception of what an urban landscape should include. I am very divided between the two as to which I would choose to call my home. High-rise living is a fantasy of mine. A GENUINE and strong sense of community is even more important. Objectively speaking, Town Center has a foe sense of community, while CC and PW are successful at creating a genuine sense of community. What do ya'll think?

When the Westin and the arts center is complete I think that will change. There are already to few Restaurants in Town Center to serve the demand. PF Changs is on average a two hour wait. Imagine what it will be like after the Westin condo's and hotel are full. City Center is great but the Town center is still in the early stages of developement. I beleive City Center is starting to reach it's capacity especially after the Meridian is complete.

City Center is great but the Town center is still in the early stages of developement. I beleive City Center is starting to reach it's capacity especially after the Meridian is complete.

Er ... not really. The plot right across the street from the Hotel is supposed to be a Corporate Campus and the master plan calls for a 23+ story office tower right there where an overflow lot currently sits (a temporary necessity as explained to me by a NN city planner). And there's also the other medium rise condos being built out front, etc.

Furthermore, the main reason that CC was put in the Oyster Point office park was to help transform the entire Oyster Point CBD into an urban center. CC may be the nexus of that effort, but the many low-rise, suburban offices surrounding it will likely be either highly renovated or replaced while the light industrial will likely head either to the Northern or Southern ends of the city.

And then there's the rest of Oyster Point. Don't be silly and start making random assumptions, please. Thanks.

We need to stop the regional bickering and work to promote each other.

Indeed.

Er ... not really. The plot right across the street from the Hotel is supposed to be a Corporate Campus and the master plan calls for a 23+ story office tower right there where an overflow lot currently sits (a temporary necessity as explained to me by a NN city planner). And there's also the other medium rise condos being built out front, etc.

Furthermore, the main reason that CC was put in the Oyster Point office park was to help transform the entire Oyster Point CBD into an urban center. CC may be the nexus of that effort, but the many low-rise, suburban offices surrounding it will likely be either highly renovated or replaced while the light industrial will likely head either to the Northern or Southern ends of the city.

And then there's the rest of Oyster Point. Don't be silly and start making random assumptions, please. Thanks.

Somebody forgot to take there Prozac today!

Also juan you are forgetting City walk and City whatever the other one is called, which will be bigger and similar to PW and such. It will have its community feel once they are developed.

We'll see. I hope so.

But, as mentioned, I think a genuine sense of community cannot be easily created. I think new urban projects tend to pour money into luxury residences, retail and restaurants with little or no investment in public squares, large fountains, public art, gardens or other forms of pedestrian-friendly ideas. Port Warwick and City Center are spending millions on public art, pedestrian-friendly landscapes and green spaces. Variety in an urban landscape is essential and visually pleasing. There has to be a degree of "identity" involved as the cherry on top to create the ideal urban and ped-friendly place to live, in my book. I think the developers of PW and CC have mastered this approach. PW and CC have successfully created identity in it's literary theme and one-of-a-kind public art from artists around the coutry, commisioned by the developers public and private.

That said, it takes more than retail-lined sidewalks and red-brick crosswalks or a cluster-f***k of highrises to qualify as pedestrian-friendly; this is not what's going to bring people out into the streets. A sense of community isn't necessarily guaranteed; it has to be pre-conceived in a way.

It's not Hampton that bothers me. I think Ft. Monroe and B-Row Beach and the Marinas in Hampton are awesome. It's the city officials that are trying a little too hard for my taste. They seem overly eager for any form development or business. Where are their standards? Though, the proposal for the reinvention of the Coliseum area had me speechless. I think they are finally calming down, getting the picture and moving in the right direction. :thumbsup:

And for Va Beach! It's too early to tell I guess. Hopefully they incorporate a Rittenhouse Square-like green space to up the quality of life there. I'm so excited about the Westin! :offtopic:

Somebody forgot to take there Prozac today!

:rofl:

Yeah thats it besides both of these, Vabeach and Newport News, developments are just as important as the other. We need to stop the regional bickering and work to promote each other.

Lets not be so sensitive fellas. Don't get your panties all in a bunch. :D It's constructive criticism. This is a discussion board. We have to invite both kudos! and criticism a like.

Archived