Adaptive Re-use

ModSquad

So.. about this underutilized industrial.

What about community centers? I have to imagine most have high ceilings and open spaces? I'm thinking a Gymnasium or something. I guess it depends on the contruction of the building itself. Commercial seems to be a good fit. For someone who doens't need a Main Street address, if you can keep the rent low it seems you could attract a lot of people. Also, what about indoor retail.. like a mall-ish kind of thing carved out of an old factory?

Just brainstormin'...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To add on to what I said, second story has a 'flexible lease' plan that they use for businesses just starting out. The rates are relatively low and if you outgrow your space w/in your 5 year lease, you can get out of it for free as long as you move into another one of their buildings.

Perhaps small offices with community conference rooms to share for small businesses who have big clients. Like I said, besides the obvious loft apartment/condo idea, I feel like commercial can fit in anywhere if the price and space is right.

So.. about this underutilized industrial.

What about community centers? I have to imagine most have high ceilings and open spaces? I'm thinking a Gymnasium or something. I guess it depends on the contruction of the building itself. Commercial seems to be a good fit. For someone who doens't need a Main Street address, if you can keep the rent low it seems you could attract a lot of people. Also, what about indoor retail.. like a mall-ish kind of thing carved out of an old factory?

Just brainstormin'...

Community Centers most likely will not work for two reasons: zoning for industrial property will not allow it, and they are not economically sustainable.

The main issue with under-utilized industrial land is whether or not the existing buildings are in good shape. If they are in good shape, then the value of the land will be such that any re-use of the land has to plan for reuse of the buildings. If the buildings are crap, that is actually better because it will reflect in the valuation of the land and can be bulldozed.

Any reclamation of industrial land will have to have some density to it in order to make the land acquisition costs work.

Interesting article:

http://www.calredevelop.org/success_storie...azineCenter.pdf

This company specializes in such things.. but i'm sure they're not cheap:

http://www.westonconsulting.com/Industrial.htm

Does the city of GR allow housing in industrial zones, even if on a case by case basis with a special permit? Or are you not interested in creating housing?

The main issue with under-utilized industrial land is whether or not the existing buildings are in good shape. If they are in good shape, then the value of the land will be such that any re-use of the land has to plan for reuse of the buildings. If the buildings are crap, that is actually better because it will reflect in the valuation of the land and can be bulldozed.

The real issue is what type of industrial work was done there previously and do you have to clean anything up before you can do something with the building.

The industrial buildings in Dave's neighborhood are a tough retrofit. The idea of artist space is nice but frankly there are only so many artists to go around and Denny has a pretty good lock on them downtown right now.

If the manufacturing jobs are truly gone and there is no chance of getting them back you'd be better off in the long run taking down the buildings and infilling with commercial and residential units. Some mixed use stuff over there might be nice Dave......... :shades:

The real issue is what type of industrial work was done there previously and do you have to clean anything up before you can do something with the building.

The industrial buildings in Dave's neighborhood are a tough retrofit. The idea of artist space is nice but frankly there are only so many artists to go around and Denny has a pretty good lock on them downtown right now.

If the manufacturing jobs are truly gone and there is no chance of getting them back you'd be better off in the long run taking down the buildings and infilling with commercial and residential units. Some mixed use stuff over there might be nice Dave......... :shades:

Yeah, I do not think that artist space is a good fit. As far as environmental clean-up there is still quite a bit of money out there to help cover the cost.

I think that there needs to be some sort of task force with the City involved to develop some plans amd more important incentives around these areas.

I believe some sort of TIF incentive would be a great tool.

I am running out to a meeting right now, but will post more about my TIF idea later.

Yeah, I do not think that artist space is a good fit. As far as environmental clean-up there is still quite a bit of money out there to help cover the cost.

I believe some sort of TIF incentive would be a great tool.

Agreed that there is money available for cleanup however a) it adds layers of bureaucracy to already complex projects and b) it adds tremendous amounts of time to the schedule.

Historic Tax credits, new market tax credits, low-income tax credits, tifs, and any other subsidy is an ok thing if you've got the patience to wait them out. Most especially with TIFs, it's a long time before you see anything back on a TIF.

[Agreed that there is money available for cleanup however a) it adds layers of bureaucracy to already complex projects and b) it adds tremendous amounts of time to the schedule.]

If the goal is to adapt unsued industrial land into something beneficial to the both residential neighborhoods that surround it and to the City, any new use will be fraught with layers of bureaucracy...simply dealing with re-zoning and the City's planning process will drive one to drink.

My thought is that because we have so much of this type of land the City should come up with a cohesive plan, one that is approved ahead of time, at least in theory, by the proper departments and City Committees. This plan should include helping and encouraging developers to access the things already mentioned: historic tax credits, new market tax credits, low-income tax credits, and tifs.

Even better, the City should look at acquiring and land banking some key properties to encourage development. Whether the City was being forward thinking or not when they tied up the 19 acres invovled in the river front project, the fact remains developers would most likely not be even looking at this land if it were not for the fact that the City owns the key 19 acres.

We are looking at such a property right now (I cannot give more details on it right now). I have found out that the City had an opporunity over 10 years ago to buy this property for next to nothing. They passed. We now find ourselves having to negotiate with the property owner that did buy it...did nothing with it...and is asking 2.5 times what it is worth.

Dave, are you saying that The City of Grand Rapids should be in the market of investing in properties? This is o they may spark more development, because they could offer their properties at fair market value

The number 1 rule in real estate development is property control. It is the name of the game. Just ask those working on the 30 acre deal ;)

The City's greatest asset is its property and the value of such.

I believe that whenever possible the City should be in the business of speculating in under or unutilized areas.

Archived