Rowe Hotel- Olds Manor

ericdriver

The big banner wrapped on the construction fence has their new "R" Rowe logo. And it screams "underground on-site parking" as if that's an amenity or something.  :whistling:

In GR that is an amenity.  If this was Heartside they would tear something down to make a surface lot.  :whistling:

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately the ballroom which was still in excellent condition was quietly demolished before anyone could raise complaints over it.  Goodbye to this: https://www.facebook.com/GrandRapidsHistoricalSociety/photos/a.171554056203866.48156.124767220882550/1076243782401551/?type=1 

Why in earth wouldnt they incorporate that into a room??!?!

Unfortunately the ballroom which was still in excellent condition was quietly demolished before anyone could raise complaints over it.  Goodbye to this: https://www.facebook.com/GrandRapidsHistoricalSociety/photos/a.171554056203866.48156.124767220882550/1076243782401551/?type=1 

No.  What a travesty.  Why would you ever...???  Whatever respect I had for some of the preservation and improvement work CWD has done just dissipated in an instant.  I don't understand it, because they usually seem to "get it".  They ought to be ashamed of themselves for this. It's absolutely disgraceful.

I was trying to picture in my mind what was on the back of the building before. Wow. 

Although CWD is involved, it's still owned by a Devos, isn't it?  Perhaps the decision came from there.

I'm hoping that perhaps they're just moving it.

If they took it down intact, that would at least be some small saving grace.  Somehow, I rather doubt that happened.  I understand the need for parking, but ruining the best thing about the building probably wasn't the brightest way to get it.  It would have been better to just pulled a Detroit and put the parking in the ballroom... :) 

They may have ripped it down for parking but I'd imagine there could be a lot of other reasons. The back of the building (where the ballroom was) was pretty rough (Not an engineer but a lot of falling brick, missing sections). Was it too hard to save? 

I'm big on historic preservation but after hearing about this building potentially being torn down, I guess I'm really happy they are doing a great job restoring 98% of the building...

Joe

• 1 month later...

So, they're leaving open the option of a future one floor vertical expansion?  Kidding aside, I really like this project.

No, adding the top penthouse condos is in the immediate plans. I wouldn't be surprised to see steel construction going up soon for this, since they're planning a 2016 opening. 

The backside is going look really bizarre:

15635333844_6024087e21_o.jpg

Looking at the amount of work they did to the back, I can't imagine they tore the ballroom down merely for aesthetics. Looks pretty intense. 

As as far as the finish on the back, I think it's a pretty safe bet to not make it too fancy. I'm sure the post office will be redeveloped in the not so distant future (10 years?). 

Joe

Most of the rear excavation is due to the installation of underground parking;  kind of impressive inserting parking under an existing building.

I've never heard what happened to the tunnel(s) that terminated at the Rowe,  are they finally destroyed by this project or do they remain?

strange looking back side and interesting because its really the most visible as more people travel across 196 than do on Monroe. Maybe Artprize can pant a bright mural?

Maybe after it becomes safe for someone wielding a paintbrush.

Just FYI, to become a venue, the owner/lessee offers the space. ArtPrize provides the matching service between venues and artists.

http://www.artprize.org/venues/?neighborhood=center-city&page=1-2

Most of the rear excavation is due to the installation of underground parking;  kind of impressive inserting parking under an existing building.

I've never heard what happened to the tunnel(s) that terminated at the Rowe,  are they finally destroyed by this project or do they remain?

I don't know about tunnels, but there was an old bridge that went over a canal that was buried under Michigan Street. From what I hear the bridge was removed when DeVos Place was built.

This photo is from 1949 when it was used as underground parking.
-5b0b6fe41a36ad27.JPG

Mlive: 91 years of history: Key dates, backstory of Olds Manor, Rowe Hotel site

I don't know about tunnels, but there was an old bridge that went over a canal that was buried under Michigan Street. From what I hear the bridge was removed when DeVos Place was built.

This photo is from 1949 when it was used as underground parking.
-5b0b6fe41a36ad27.JPG

Mlive: 91 years of history: Key dates, backstory of Olds Manor, Rowe Hotel site

Here's the response I received when I asked the same question earlier in this thread.  Sadly, it appears to be gone...

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/22885-rowe-hotel-olds-manor/?do=findComment&comment=1338198

• 2 weeks later...

Archived