Rowe Hotel- Olds Manor

ericdriver

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the post office was listed back in 2003 at $30 Million. No wonder it hasn't sold or moved yet.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/12/despite_shabby_exterior_develo.html

Sam Cummings at CWD also mentions that they got to the point where they couldn't rely on the post office moving to make something happen.

Here's a good article about the history of the Rowe.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/12/91_years_of_history_key_dates.html#incart_river

Good job Press.

Out of everything, I'm seriously glad to read that the building doesn't have any historical protections.

Right now, it's a hulking relic. Like many buildings from the time, it is likely claustrophobic by today's standards and the lack of large windows or exterior balconies (not to mention the wholly unappealing fortress post office that hems it) would make this incredibly unappealing to many potential tenants. Without a historical board breathing down their backs, they can really go to town on the interior at least, and really make that be the big selling point. Seeing the new roof additions especially makes me far more excited about this renovation even though comments about them have been negative on the Mlive stories. I have not seen anything detailing the back of the building, but I hope they completely rip that off and go all glass honestly. That part of the building really has nothing to preserve anyway.

Whenever the post office ever goes, the last thing you will want is the back of the Rowe as it is now facing the river.

It will be interesting to see how much they actually do to the west side of the building. If the post office goes, it's a no brainier that the property will be developed. So it'll be interesting to see what they do with the windows, etc. which might have a river view now, but may have a view of a wall in the not so distant future.

Totally speculating, but I don't think people are 'waiting' on the post office. I bet there is already a plan in place.

Joe

Wow, the PO has big footprint, did not realize until the link Veloise posted.

If (when) the PO goes...what would you put there?

Yeah, it's huge. It's almost a 200,000 square feet, which is larger than the entire Amway Grand Plaza hotel.

15988741780_8bf39e38b3_o.jpg

Hypothetically, you could build a collection of high rises like Portland's South Waterfront (mini version):

16174282301_364c0b10c9_o.jpg

south-waterfront.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'd guess no.  I suspect that this was part of an old canal bridge that went under Michigan Street before the Rowe Hotel was built.  Here's a link to a Press photo that shows the remnants of the bridge when Michigan Street was redone in 2001(?):

http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width960/img/grandrapidspress/photo/2014/05/-43b55749590711c6.JPG

It kind of matches.  Back before urban renewal I remember there was some kind of parking garage for the hotel on the south side of Michigan.  Don't know for sure but I suspect there might have been a ramp down to the old bridge.

EDIT:  Gerret Ellison at Mlive just a little while ago dug through the Press archives in response to a commenter (not me) and pulled up this old clipping from 1949 that confirms my guesses:

http://media.fyre.co/ewVHCNkZST2FL8ChagjV_Photo%20Dec%2030,%205%2045%2053%20PM.jpg

Thanks for posting this.  It was really interesting. 

• 4 months later...

This is really happenin?!?   For some reason i expected news stories about exstensions and delays and 2018 start dates and stuffy.

It's been on the city commission and brownfield dockets quite a bit lately. I stopped posting updates because it just seemed to be process related. I figured they must've been getting close though. 

Do we have any timelines as of right now?

Assuming they get their other state and local development incentives, Koster said they hope to begin construction on the project this spring, with completion by mid-2016.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/01/grand_rapids_dda_wont_get_back.html

• 3 weeks later...

They've taken all of the windows out. Strangely you can see right through the building if you're at the right angle (like driving by on 196). Hard to take a pic from there though. 

18492584105_1b5c8677ab_b.jpg

17869888254_61da1edb81_b.jpg

I saw that a couple of days ago. Reminds me if michigan central station

Not being able to get home as much as I was, seeing this type of stuff is huge.  I used to think this was an unusable albatross because of the post office,  I think it's a great testament to paradigm shift in Grand Rapids. 

• 1 month later...

I noticed that too.  Looks better already.  It's so cool to see this receiving some attention.

The big banner wrapped on the construction fence has their new "R" Rowe logo. And it screams "underground on-site parking" as if that's an amenity or something.  :whistling:

Archived