Population up 35% in New Orleans

NCB

That's because 1 in 5 homes in Jefferson Parish has a FEMA trailer parked in the front or back yard. National estimates can't get a grasp on that figure, and the figure I offer is only based on electrical hook-ups and sales tax figures.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow , thats hard to believe that Tangipahoa and St.Tammany have populations that large ! I would like to see the numbers for the individual cities (city limits). Thats kinda scary .

NCB , I hear there are major road projects planned in St.Tammany; including a Hwy. from Covington to Bush back to Slidell ?

Thanks alon504 ! Would you or anybody else know what those figures were pre-Katrina ? It seems as though as many people live outside the city limits,as in the city limits themselves ? Do any of these town(cities) have any plans to annex additional growing areas ? I realize the Northshore was the fastest growing area in the state pre-Katrina . Now it has really accelerated . I bet traffic is a nightmare !

Thanks alon504 ! Would you or anybody else know what those figures were pre-Katrina ? It seems as though as many people live outside the city limits,as in the city limits themselves ? Do any of these town(cities) have any plans to annex additional growing areas ? I realize the Northshore was the fastest growing area in the state pre-Katrina . Now it has really accelerated . I bet traffic is a nightmare !

Richy, I believe that 125K figure for the Covington-Mandeville area was pre-Katrina, because I've heard that figure could now be well above 150K now post-Katrina. As for Saint Tammany Parish, according to the 2000 census, it had a population of 192,000.

For Covington, Mandeville, Abita Springs, and Madisonville, most people live outside of the city limits. Pre-Katrina, Covington had a city population of around 9,000, Mandeville: 12,000, Madisonville: 700, and Abita Springs: 1,000. The city limits for all of the cities are very small, and as an example, if you were to extend the city limits of Covington a few miles in each direction, the city would then have around 15-20,000 people. And yea, traffic is horrible here! <_<

I used to live in Jefferson, I'm curious to where they're squeezing everyone, is it mostly in E. Jefferson or W. Jefferson? I know most of Kenner and Metairie flooded, but I don't know if it was as bad as New Orleans, I'm guessing it wasn't and the homes were able to be cleaned up quickly so residents and prospective buyers could move in.

I'm guessing Harahan, River Ridge and Jefferson are bursting at the seams. It's probably next to impossible to find a house for sale there.

^I still don't pay much attention to these types of population estimates. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these rah rah New Orleans supporter's who wants to boost the population counts, but it's nearly impossible to count all of the people living in FEMA trailers, people living with family and friends, people living on the 2nd floor of a home with a completely gutted 1st floor, etc. I still see the city's and Entergy's(which is based of of houses using electrical service daily) population estimates to be more accurate.

^I still don't pay much attention to these types of population estimates. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these rah rah New Orleans supporter's who wants to boost the population counts, but it's nearly impossible to count all of the people living in FEMA trailers, people living with family and friends, people living on the 2nd floor of a home with a completely gutted 1st floor, etc. I still see the city's and Entergy's(which is based of of houses using electrical service daily) population estimates to be more accurate.

Not to mention it is impossible to forecast what the population will be in 2008. The population could come back very quickly, or things could go poorly and it could remain stagnant.

Not to mention it is impossible to forecast what the population will be in 2008. The population could come back very quickly, or things could go poorly and it could remain stagnant.

Yea, it's nearly impossible to forecast what the population will be next week, so these 2008 numbers don't mean anything right now.

I think it will actually come back pretty fast. The thing is people in New Orleans legitimately love their city because of it's history and uniqueness. I mean there's only a handful of cities in the USA that I would offer to save if given the choice and New Orleans is one of them.

Keep this in mind- New Orleans had a terrible crime rate, easily worst than NYC at it's peak, and about the same or worse than the following notorious cities-St. Louis, Detroit and worse than these cities- Pittsburgh, Cleveland, yet it didn't lose population as badly as any of these cities. Considering how bad it was the you would expect the population to drop to half or more than half like these cities. In 2000 the population could've between 300-313,000 had it dropped like these other cities, but it was 484,000 down about 12,000 from 1990 and keep in mind the 90's were probably the worst years for crime, peaking around 1994 at 430 murders which would've gave a rating of about 1 in 1,145 or 87 per 100,000. In other words barely better than Harlem in 1990 during the crack cocaine epidemic.

I mean if you can stay in a city despite all that then I think you still find some glimmer of hope and love in it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it will actually come back pretty fast. The thing is people in New Orleans legitimately love their city because of it's history and uniqueness. I mean there's only a handful of cities in the USA that I would offer to save if given the choice and New Orleans is one of them.

Keep this in mind- New Orleans had a terrible crime rate, easily worst than NYC at it's peak, and about the same or worse than the following notorious cities-St. Louis, Detroit and worse than these cities- Pittsburgh, Cleveland, yet it didn't lose population as badly as any of these cities. Considering how bad it was the you would expect the population to drop to half or more than half like these cities. In 2000 the population could've between 300-313,000 had it dropped like these other cities, but it was 484,000 down about 12,000 from 1990 and keep in mind the 90's were probably the worst years for crime, peaking around 1994 at 430 murders which would've gave a rating of about 1 in 1,145 or 87 per 100,000. In other words barely better than Harlem in 1990 during the crack cocaine epidemic.

I mean if you can stay in a city despite all that then I think you still find some glimmer of hope and love in it.

That's what I'm talking about. New Orleanians know that we have struggled with crime. Remember back in '94, when New Orleans recorded a record 430 homicides, which factors into a rate of 87 per 100,000? A lot of people were leaving N.O. left and right. Tourists were scared to come to New Orleans and our economy suffered. As years progressed, New Orleans' murder count slowly petered down to 275 back in '03, and has remained stagnant. I won't lie, my family and I were very close to leaving N.O. but eventually decided against it because there's no place like home. Nothing is going to drive me out of New Orleans, not Hurricane Katrina, violent crime, nothing. :shades:

Nothing is going to drive me out of New Orleans, not Hurricane Katrina, violent crime, nothing. :shades:

I'm out in Covington right now, but I lived in the French Quarter for 3/4 of my life, and I'm looking to move back into the city within the next year. :D

It would be cool to live in the Quarter, but it costs an arm & a leg to live there.

Oh yea, especially right now.

As an example, I've been friends with the family who own's this house in the Quarter since I was a kid. They bought the house on Orleans St. in 1990 for around 120,000, and now, guess what they're asking for it? 1.25 million! :shok: And they have multiple offers already! Talk about a profit!

Here's the house I'm talking about:

IMG_2402.jpg

Just wanted to update.... According to the NOPD's crime stats, the population of Orleans is now 221,000.

Does this estimate include the possibly 30,000+ illegal hispanic workers in the city? I've never been to clear on that.

Does this estimate include the possibly 30,000+ illegal hispanic workers in the city? I've never been to clear on that.

Duh, Nate... they're "illegal" and he is talking about "crime stats." They arethe crime!!

No, just kidding...

I would guess that's a no. With these migrant workers, it's just too difficult to track them down to get an accurate count in most cases.

I would guess that's a no. With these migrant workers, it's just too difficult to track them down to get an accurate count in most cases.

I would think so too. And if that's the case, then based off of the NOPD's estimates, the amount of people living in New Orleans right now may be closer to 250,000.

Oh yea, especially right now.

As an example, I've been friends with the family who own's this house in the Quarter since I was a kid. They bought the house on Orleans St. in 1990 for around 120,000, and now, guess what they're asking for it? 1.25 million! :shok: And they have multiple offers already! Talk about a profit!

Here's the house I'm talking about:

IMG_2402.jpg

AWESOME home... and a profit of over $1 million. Wow, I hate those people! :lol: I never have such luck.

AWESOME home... and a profit of over $1 million. Wow, I hate those people! :lol: I never have such luck.

Yea the house is beautiful, especially inside. And yea, I don't have luck like that either. Over a million bucks in profit, I mean c'mon! ;)

Archived