Population up 35% in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you lived in the quarter as a kid,were your parents really well off or was real estate cheaper then?

Real estate was much cheaper then, and not nearly as expensive as it is now. My parents were pretty well off, but if it had been 20 years later, they wouldn't have been able to afford that same house.

I was mainly curious if the quarter was always expensive or if it got that way in the past 20 years. You're the only person from that part that I've had a chance to converse with.

How big was your friend's house? One thing that surprised me and may surprise others that are unaware is how big some residences are despite how big they look on the outside. You find houses there that look like maybe 1,500 sq. ft based on the frontal appearance and then find out they're about 6,000 sq ft.

I was mainly curious if the quarter was always expensive or if it got that way in the past 20 years. You're the only person from that part that I've had a chance to converse with.

How big was your friend's house? One thing that surprised me and may surprise others that are unaware is how big some residences are despite how big they look on the outside. You find houses there that look like maybe 1,500 sq. ft based on the frontal appearance and then find out they're about 6,000 sq ft.

The French Quarter has always been pretty expensive, for multiple reasons, but housing costs have really gone up over the last 20 years or so.

And I'm not sure exactly how many sq. feet that house is, and I could give you an estimate, but I'll find out the exact number and post it tommorow. :)

• 2 months later...

It will easily get to 300,00 by October but I think from there we will grow only as quickly as housing becomes available. But I have no idea where the city's population will ultimately end up. Before the storm we had about 450,000 but in the 70s we had 650,000. So the city had lost 200,000 residents before the storm. However, population is actually less important than wealth. Plus during the same time, the suburbs grew. We had 1.3 million in the metro area before the storm and I would be surprised if we dont end up at 1.5 in the next 3-5 years. A continual growth between New Orleans and BAton Rouge will happen making these areas more like a continual urban corridor.

Cheers,

Derek

It will easily get to 300,00 by October but I think from there we will grow only as quickly as housing becomes available. But I have no idea where the city's population will ultimately end up. Before the storm we had about 450,000 but in the 70s we had 650,000. So the city had lost 200,000 residents before the storm. However, population is actually less important than wealth. Plus during the same time, the suburbs grew. We had 1.3 million in the metro area before the storm and I would be surprised if we dont end up at 1.5 in the next 3-5 years. A continual growth between New Orleans and BAton Rouge will happen making these areas more like a continual urban corridor.

Cheers,

Derek

Yea, by the end of the year the population will easily be above 300,000, and after that like you said, it all depends on how fast housing will become available. As for the metro, I'm expecting the population to be around 1.5 million at the 2010 census. I believe we're expected to get back up to around 1.35 million within the next year or so, and then Tangipahoa Parish and its 150,000 post-Katrina residents will be officially added to the metro area by the census in 2010. Baton Rouge will be well over 800,000, maybe even closer to 900,000 at that time.

Yea, by the end of the year the population will easily be above 300,000, and after that like you said, it all depends on how fast housing will become available. As for the metro, I'm expecting the population to be around 1.5 million at the 2010 census. I believe we're expected to get back up to around 1.35 million within the next year or so, and then Tangipahoa Parish and its 150,000 post-Katrina residents will be officially added to the metro area by the census in 2010. Baton Rouge will be well over 800,000, maybe even closer to 900,000 at that time.

New Orleans and Baton Rouge metro area should merge like that of other big cities. Houston, Atlanta & Dallas MSA strecthes over 80 miles in either direction. If this occured what would the population be?

Actually the whole counting of metro area populations is quite tricky. Some areas may have extremely large geograpihical boundaries and that skews their population. For example, the city of Jacksonville has about 600,000 people in the actual city, but the geograpical area it covers makes it much larger in size then say New Orleans. So I think several thing need to be considered. What makes New Orleans so unique is that truly is one of only a handful of urban cities that exists in America: San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Philly, Boston, D.C. Most american cities are giant suburbs. Anyway back to counting a metro area. The census bureau usually picks two or three core counties. Then all other member counties have to have a certain percentage of their population commuting to work to those core counties. This why there was a dropping of St James Parish, although it may be back soon. These guidelines I think can be unfair to some cities and exaggerate the size of others. We all know that residents of Baton Rouge and New Orleans use eachothers cities, yet each's population is not considered by people when evaluating the market. However, the more the area between them grow I think the better chances of the population of the two being looked at as a whole.

Cheers,

Derek

New Orleans and Baton Rouge metro area should merge like that of other big cities. Houston, Atlanta & Dallas MSA strecthes over 80 miles in either direction. If this occured what would the population be?

It will happen eventually, and the process has sped up even faster now after Katrina, as the two metro area's expand and become much more related, and we're getting to the point where the only thing between Greater New Orleans and Greater Baton Rouge are the swamps south of the lake. If the two metro area's merged in 2010, with the populations both metro's are predicted to have then, we would probably be looking at a New Orleans-Baton Rouge area with well over 2.3 million people.

They seem too far away to me to merge, I'm talking about the urban core and suburban areas. For example the metro area of New Orleans involves the following parishes.

Orleans

Jefferson

St. Bernard

Plaquemines

St. Charles

St. John the Baptist

St. Tammany

Yet 75% of the 1,330,000 people living there live in 193 sq miles. That means there's only about 324,000 people living in who know how many hundreds of sq miles. This isn't the case in Cleveland Lorain Akron area. Except for a few counties there's almost continous development, not dense, between Cleveland and Akron. In fact I remember my brother-in-law from New Orleans couldn't get over the seemingly never ending development while we were on our way to Canton.

^Yea, right now, they're still too far away in terms of development and well, people. But they are moving closer together, especially post-Katrina, and on the Northshore. Tangipahoa Parish is really growing right now, as is Livingston. I think that within the next decade, we'll begin to see development in metro New Orleans and metro Baton Rouge begining to grow and expand, and become more of a single metro area along I-12. On the Southshore, it's a different story.

^Yea, right now, they're still too far away in terms of development and well, people. But they are moving closer together, especially post-Katrina, and on the Northshore. Tangipahoa Parish is really growing right now, as is Livingston. I think that within the next decade, we'll begin to see development in metro New Orleans and metro Baton Rouge begining to grow and expand, and become more of a single metro area along I-12. On the Southshore, it's a different story.

Without a doubt the two will merge. New Orleans will regain its crown as the King City of the South in the next 20 years over Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, And San Antonio. It has the port, great culture and cusine and the potential , Need more Donald Trumps, Rudy G to clean up the crime and Bill gates to invest in high tech there. I would say the area will have close to 3 million soon

New population statistics gloomy

[/quote

Housing my man is the key to bring people back to the city. Remove the debris-get the prisnone out of jail and make that be their day work and remove the debis as the Nat'l Guard watches them . After the clean up clear the land and rebuild homes after an enviorment and Water authoirty say it is safe to build.

New Orleans got too much going on to be a second tier city -Est metro pop - 3 million soon

New Orleans (not the metro area) has already regained 70% of the jobs that it had pre-katrina

Yep, which is much more than was expected at this time. Also, our oil-related jobs have actually increased after Katrina, which is some very good news.

How many parishes make up the New Orleans Metro?
For the New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Metropolitan Statistical Area, seven, covering 3,155 square miles:

Jefferson Parish, LA

Orleans Parish, LA

Plaquemines Parish, LA

St. Bernard Parish, LA

St. Charles Parish, LA

St. John the Baptist Parish, LA

St. Tammany Parish, LA

For the New Orleans-Metairie-Bogalusa, LA Combined Statistical Area, eight, covering 3,825 square miles:

Jefferson Parish, LA

Orleans Parish, LA

Plaquemines Parish, LA

St. Bernard Parish, LA

St. Charles Parish, LA

St. John the Baptist Parish, LA

St. Tammany Parish, LA

Washington Parish, LA

Some who returned to New Orleans consider leaving

A recent USA Today/Gallup poll found that 15 percent of Katrina survivors who had returned to the community they lived in before the storm hit would like to move away, and that an additional 15 percent would like to stay but may move. Only 68 percent definitely planned to stay.

Archived