Population up 35% in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is NOT what I want to see. I never expected to see an article like this.

It's disturbing, but since housing is so tight I would imagine they would be replaced.

Still, losing doctors and high-end small businesses is horrible news.

Insurance lawyers must be flooding the city though!

It's disturbing, but since housing is so tight I would imagine they would be replaced.

Still, losing doctors and high-end small businesses is horrible news.

Insurance lawyers must be flooding the city though!

Man, I'm sure that city is full of ALL KINDS of lawyers right about now...

Lots of frivolity going on I'm sure.

This is NOT what I want to see. I never expected to see an article like this.

At a time like this, article's like that should be expected. Most of this stuff will begin to diminish once the rebuilding money starts to come into the city. Housing can be rebuilt, more people can come back and get there lives back on track, devastated parts of the city can begin to really be rebuilt and start moving forward, more tourists will come into the city, giving small businesses a much better chance at survival, more money can be put into the NOPD to reduce murders, more schools, hospitals, and clinics will reopen, and on and on. These are tough times in New Orleans right now, but the real rebuilding, the stuff that depends on the federal money, hasn't even begun yet. Once that moves forward, you'll start seeing more articles about people here being happy with the pace of rebuilding, rather than people being unhappy with the pace due to a lack of money and procedure.

...more money can be put into the NOPD to reduce murders...

I'm not so sure you reduce murders by putting more money into NOPD, not that we don't undoubtedly need to invest more in our police than we currently do/can. But murder for the most part is a crime that is tough for law enforcement to actually prevent, seeing as most are either drug related, and perpetrated by those not likely to be deterred by police prescence, or crimes of passion, which most law enforcement officials will tell you are just going to happen. Sometimes I think that if we really want to lower the murder rate (and the overall crime rate, for that matter) we should put more money into NORD, rather than NOPD. LOL

Demographer says despite lingering problems, city has improved greatly in a year

Video

GCR & Associates, a national demographics company, estimates that the current population of New Orleans is 230,000, and that the metro population is above 1.1 million, and is nearing 1.2 million, down from 1.3 million pre-Katrina.

I'm not so sure you reduce murders by putting more money into NOPD, not that we don't undoubtedly need to invest more in our police than we currently do/can. But murder for the most part is a crime that is tough for law enforcement to actually prevent, seeing as most are either drug related, and perpetrated by those not likely to be deterred by police prescence, or crimes of passion, which most law enforcement officials will tell you are just going to happen. Sometimes I think that if we really want to lower the murder rate (and the overall crime rate, for that matter) we should put more money into NORD, rather than NOPD. LOL

Some of the New Orleans Police are the main ones behind the crime. It wasn't that long ago where a police officer was caught slinging drugs. In the mid-90s, New Orleans was #1 in police corruption. One cop caught a case for putting a hit on a woman. Even the police know there's certain parts of the city to enforce zero tolerance, and certain parts of the city to be lenient. In order to lower the murder rate, the drugs & guns have to be prevented from coming into New Orleans.

Some of the New Orleans Police are the main ones behind the crime. It wasn't that long ago where a police officer was caught slinging drugs. In the mid-90s, New Orleans was #1 in police corruption. One cop caught a case for putting a hit on a woman. Even the police know there's certain parts of the city to enforce zero tolerance, and certain parts of the city to be lenient. In order to lower the murder rate, the drugs & guns have to be prevented from coming into New Orleans.

I'm reasonably informed about the Len Davis affair, as well as the Antoinette Frank episode, and not naive enough to think they were two entirely isolated incidents. But I'm also no where close to agreeing that New Orleans police are "the main ones behind the crime". Just my opinion, but that's the "everybody does it" defense. "Of course young men in some neighborhoods live lives of serial criminal acts--there's corrupt policemen around. Yeah, they deal a little crack...but that's not as bad as what some policemen do."

Which are the zero tolerance neighborhoods, and which are the "lenient" ones? I could see it going either way. You could easily imagine the law enforcement agencies trying strict crackdowns in the highest crime neighborhoods where past statistics might show that (for example) a group of young men congregated on a particular corner could reasonably be suspected of drug activity, while the same type of congregation of young men in another neighborhood might not be as suspicious because historically there's been little drug-related crime there. Conversely you could also imagine that residents of a lower crime neighborhood might demand a zero tolerance approach from the police in their neighborhood, calling 911 over every thing they see that's the least bit suspicious, while residents of the higher crime neighborhood might not be as demanding, either because they fear the criminals, they distrust the police like you, or they've just "accepted" that crime is something they have to live with. As with any other government entity, a police force is just as good as the citizens force it to be.

As for preventing the drugs and guns from coming into New Orleans, if Prohibition and the "War on Drugs" taught us anything it's that as long as there are people whose lives revolve around either using or selling drugs and guns living in the community then you're not going to keep the drugs and guns out. Short of instituting a complete police state, you have to dry up the demand before you can effectively cut off the supply, not the other way around.

I'm reasonably informed about the Len Davis affair, as well as the Antoinette Frank episode, and not naive enough to think they were two entirely isolated incidents. But I'm also no where close to agreeing that New Orleans police are "the main ones behind the crime". Just my opinion, but that's the "everybody does it" defense. "Of course young men in some neighborhoods live lives of serial criminal acts--there's corrupt policemen around. Yeah, they deal a little crack...but that's not as bad as what some policemen do."

Which are the zero tolerance neighborhoods, and which are the "lenient" ones? I could see it going either way. You could easily imagine the law enforcement agencies trying strict crackdowns in the highest crime neighborhoods where past statistics might show that (for example) a group of young men congregated on a particular corner could reasonably be suspected of drug activity, while the same type of congregation of young men in another neighborhood might not be as suspicious because historically there's been little drug-related crime there. Conversely you could also imagine that residents of a lower crime neighborhood might demand a zero tolerance approach from the police in their neighborhood, calling 911 over every thing they see that's the least bit suspicious, while residents of the higher crime neighborhood might not be as demanding, either because they fear the criminals, they distrust the police like you, or they've just "accepted" that crime is something they have to live with. As with any other government entity, a police force is just as good as the citizens force it to be.

As for preventing the drugs and guns from coming into New Orleans, if Prohibition and the "War on Drugs" taught us anything it's that as long as there are people whose lives revolve around either using or selling drugs and guns living in the community then you're not going to keep the drugs and guns out. Short of instituting a complete police state, you have to dry up the demand before you can effectively cut off the supply, not the other way around.

Ever since those murders went down in Central City, that area has been one of the zero tolerance neighborhoods, the entire Uptown ghetto is considered a zero tolerance zone. There are some law-abiding folks that live there, but the few morons that decide to blaze guns in broad daylight mess it up for everyone else, and now even the most legit dude can be standing on the corner talking to one of his boys, the police come and they get harassed. That's a known fact. I don't distrust the police, I honestly believe that some NOPD officers are honest & decent individuals that want to make a difference in N.O., but there are some officers that are in cahoots with the criminal element. Say for example you live in the projects; the police patrol and happen to catch you. You're in the courtyard of the project you live in & they stop you and charge you with trespassing, even though you live there. I can't deny that most of these thugs bring police harassment on themselves because if they weren't living foul, none of that would have happened.

Archived